Author Topic: More on CF&E  (Read 1202 times)

ckpcpqq

• Chief Dispatcher
More on CF&E
« on: June 26, 2019, 11:00:54 PM »
I've learned that CFE has acquired some new traffic.  In addition to the manifests that run between Blue Island Yd and Ft.Wayne, they're now running unit sand trains twice a week.  The trains originate at US Silica in Wisconsin and terminate at a US Silica facility in Lima.  I'm told they're heavy trains, over 14K tons, so maybe that's why CFE acquired six axle units like the ex-CPs pictured in an earlier post. 

4mula1

• Chief Dispatcher
Re: More on CF&E
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 07:15:17 AM »
The 5597 has been on the CFE since 2013 it's just managed to dodge a G&W paint job.

I saw an EB sand train last week and suspected by the sound of the locos that it was loaded.  Normally I don't hear the units working too hard as they come by but these were.

Thanks for the good info on this new business.  I've seen them on a couple of occasions and wondered what the commodity and destination was.

Here's a shot from May of an empty parked out by Selby.  I was mostly interested in the NS power behind the full roster of CFE 6 motors.

http://indianarailroads.org/board/index.php?topic=13730.msg193659#msg193659

scraphauler

• Tycoon
  • Oberfeldwebel Hans Scraphauler
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 07:36:23 AM »
5678 has been in CIND/IORY/CFE for years as well.

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 09:48:51 AM »
I donít know if those use to run on the ns Chicago line then down the Marion branch.  I know thereís a tonnage limit on the Marion somewhere down by wabash maybe, so Iím thinking these maybe new traffic for the cfe and not work being handed off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

h2466

• Conductor
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 06:16:28 PM »
I've learned that CFE has acquired some new traffic.  In addition to the manifests that run between Blue Island Yd and Ft.Wayne, they're now running unit sand trains twice a week.  The trains originate at US Silica in Wisconsin and terminate at a US Silica facility in Lima.  I'm told they're heavy trains, over 14K tons, so maybe that's why CFE acquired six axle units like the ex-CPs pictured in an earlier post.
I think the sand trains are picked up by the WE in Ft Wayne and forwarded to Eastern Ohio.

midland sub

• Dispatcher
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2019, 07:11:09 PM »
Sand goes to Steubenville on the Wheeling.

ckpcpqq

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2019, 11:53:02 PM »
Sand goes to Steubenville on the Wheeling.

That's not what I was told, but I'll check into it.

Thanks for the info on the two ex-CP units.  I was wondering whether they might be more recent acquisitions since G&W is usually pretty prompt in repainting their power.

midland sub

• Dispatcher
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2019, 03:26:54 PM »
I'll save you the effort. There's not a US Silica location in Lima. They're using an I&O customer in Lima as a ghost billing destination to get around the CFE-Wheeling direct interchange issue. One train a few weeks ago was shoved around to the I&O in Lima after CSX decided to say something about it. Everything since then has been ran with Wheeling power from Fort Wayne.

As for six axles on the CFE. Go back to August '04 and almost immediately the CFE and I&O shared power- I&O's Norwood shop maintained the junk for both at the begining. The 3 ex SP CEFX SD45T-2 and the then NREX 5678 and 5597 would split time up between the two.

That's not what I was told, but I'll check into it.

Thanks for the info on the two ex-CP units.  I was wondering whether they might be more recent acquisitions since G&W is usually pretty prompt in repainting their power.

4mula1

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2019, 05:40:34 PM »
Sitting in Warsaw waiting on a stopped EB sand train. CSX unit on point with a trailing UP.
Is CSX muscling in on this business?

It stopped briefly so it could take the siding.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk