Author Topic: Kentucky coal miners block tracks in wage dispute  (Read 2061 times)

trafficcritic

• Dispatcher
Kentucky coal miners block tracks in wage dispute
« on: August 15, 2019, 02:11:11 PM »
Surprised I haven't seen this story mentioned on here. The miners have been blocking tracks for 2 weeks now.

The mining company declared bankruptcy and miners' paychecks bounced. So the workers are blocking the tracks leading out of the town in protest.

Their beef is with the mining company... not the railroad. But since they are trespassing on railroad property how comes CSX hasn't done anything about it?  I'm guessing they don't because it would be bad press for the railroad.  Is this a spur/branch line that only sees an occasional train from the mine?

The news article is really scant on details from the RR logistics point of view so can someone shed a little more light on the subject?

https://time.com/5648087/kentucky-coal-miners-train-protest-wages/

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
Re: Kentucky coal miners block tracks in wage dispute
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 03:37:54 PM »
Could be the spur is owned by the mine company.

HoosierVirg

• President
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 06:06:20 PM »
I believe I read somewhere that another company is buying the bankrupt ones and will be paying the back wages soon.  Hope this is true.
Have a good and safe day!

Go Reds!

hobodano

• Conductor
  • Retired Sou/NS
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 07:15:35 PM »
https://www.wymt.com/content/news/Theyre-not-thugs-Miners-prepare-for-second-night-of-protest-513418821.html

3:15 p.m. Update 7-31-19

A CSX train engine stuck for nearly 48 hours is now on the move.
The protesting miners came to an agreement with CSX officials to move the engine but leave the train cars loaded with coal.
"They came up to talk to us about letting their engines go and come out without the coal. We're not about keeping CSX or anybody from doing their job we're here because of the coal and they're going to leave the coal where it's at and bring the trains out, their locomotives," said Chris Rowe, one of the miners.
Some people cheered as the horn blared and the train engine chugged away. About 100 rail cars are still sitting on the tracks, and the coal is worth about $1 million.
The miners said this does not change anything because the coal is still there. The question remains: when will Blackjewel come to a compromise with the miners?

Fairly familiar with southern Indiana trackage

rrnut282

• Mogul
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 02:34:04 PM »
The company buying the assets offered $800 per miner for the back-pay.  Some miners claimed they were out $k and said no to $800.  Negotiations continue as the new owners aren't the ones that owe the miners back-pay.  But the miners rightly assert their labor "produced" that train-load of coal.  I can see both sides of this issue, and I doubt there will be a solution that makes everyone happy.   

So far, there have been two pieces on Trains 'Newswire' website.   
rrnut2-8-2
(Mike)

IndyHog

• President
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 03:10:07 PM »
Reminds me of an incident years ago. A grain elevator went bankrupt and the elevator was closed pending bankruptcy proceedings. A local farmer who had all his crop and had not been paid raided the elevator to re-claim his crop. Don't remember how this all was settled.

Edit: found an article about the heroic farmer

https://www.kfvs12.com/story/3027161/25-years-ago-a-struggle-to-improve-farm-laws-for-everyone/
Meet the new boss, he's the same as the old boss......wait a minute, He's much worse

chriis

• Dispatcher
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 04:29:43 PM »
Wage theft is a massive problem in this country, let alone pension theft.