Author Topic: What ITM Left Behind  (Read 5225 times)

laker2555

• Conductor
What ITM Left Behind
« on: June 14, 2019, 09:04:49 PM »
I decided to detour off the typical Monon trail route tonight and capture the old turntable sitting on a flat at the Indy Water Treatment Facility and the Tacoma Ave boxcars.  Other than those artifacts, the southern part of the NKP is being taken over by nature and will be lost to 'progress.' 

Pic 1:  Early this week a vehicle traveling at a high rate of speed heading east down 42st apparently made no attempt to stop at Evenston Ave and crashed onto the ROW.  The rails directly north of Fall Creek are now impassable. 

Pic 2:  Looking north, just north of the Indianapolis water treatment facility on Fall Creek

Pic 3:  A pano picture of the turntable still sitting on a TTX flat.  This has been here as long as I've been living in Indy.  I wonder what it's fate will be.

Pic 4:  The Tacoma Ave boxcars. These two cars are now actually attached to the building and used for storage.  They even have metal support structures under them that sit right on the rail heads. 

Pic 5:  The jungle that is becoming the ROW looking north at Sutherland Ave

Pic 6:  ROW looking south at the Indianapolis Water Treatment Plant on Fall Creek

Not the greatest post title I know, but I have to head through Noblesville in the coming days so I thought I'd grab a few pics of Forest Park and what is still left there. 
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 09:36:46 PM by laker2555 »

central1751

• Dispatcher
  • 6.6 miles from destiny. April 30th 1900
Re: What ITM Left Behind
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 02:47:29 PM »
Looks like nothing sold in the auction as its all now listed for general sale with an asking price over on Ozark Mt Railcar.  I suspect the high cost of removal is hindering potential sales.  If only the outside rail connection still exhisted, I suspect items might have sold easier.  Last I knew, the 72 was running prime mover wise, a local Vo-tech school came in and put in the hours to get it repaired and started.  96, which once pulled the Hiwathia for the Milw Rd needs a flywheel, the 200 should be operational last I knew.   One would think the B unit, which is mostly complete, would grab some attention as so few B units around for dinner train operations that might need a bit more HP.  With scrap prices in the dump right now, there might be some hope of saving a few pieces.      Mike

Railfan407

• Dispatcher
  • I'm a Hoosier railfan!
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 10:25:34 AM »
Hopefully TTX doesn’t want their flat car back...

Ralph

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 11:55:24 AM »
Hopefully TTX doesn’t want their flat car back...

Working on FairTrain for the first time in 2005 I asked about that car and was told it had been donated to ITM. I hope so. Can you imagine the demurrage on that? :D

pabrankle

• Fireman
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 09:04:16 AM »
Indiana Transportation Museum pieces go to auction or scrap

NOBLESVILLE, Ind. — More than a dozen pieces of historical railroad equipment formerly owned by the Indiana Railroad Museum will be scrapped if they are not successfully sold during an auction beginning Monday.

According to a listing on the website for railroad equipment broker Ozark Mountain Railcar, 17 pieces of equipment, including two locomotives, a heater car and several passenger cars, will be up for auction beginning at 7 a.m. Sept. 9, with bidding ending at 7 p.m. on Sept. 11. The reserve bid for some of the cars is as low as $950, while the reserve for the locomotives and heater cars is set at $4,800 each. According to the Ozark Mountain Website, whatever is not successfully sold will be scrapped.

According to the website, the equipment is on the grounds formerly occupied by the Indiana Transportation Museum, which was evicted by the City of Noblesville, Ind., in July 2018 following a long and complicated battle between the city and the museum and after a 50-year residency in the city. ITM operated on 35 miles of isolated track, which it did not own, out of the former location. ITM Acting Chairman Les McConnell told Trains News Wire in March that the organization was attempting to find a suitable place for its equipment and that the museum was attempting to purchase a section of track from Logansport & Eel River Railroad on which to operate and store its equipment.

A call to McConnell seeking comment was not returned.

According to the Ozark Mountain website, the equipment remaining in Noblesville is considered to have been abandoned by ITM.

“The equipment being sold is located at property owned by the City of Noblesville, Indiana, known as Forest Park, which was previously leased to the Indiana Transportation Museum (ITM),” the website says. “Pursuant to the Findings of Fact, Conclusions of Law, and Order issued in Hamilton County, Indiana Cause No. 29C01-1805-PL-004434 on June 29, 2018, all structures, additions, equipment, or property on the Forest Park premises previously leased by ITM and not removed by July 12, 2018 was deemed abandoned to the City.”

Among the items listed for auction are:
• Former Amtrak, nee Great Northern, steam generator car no. 661, a 1950-built B-unit rebuilt by Amtrak into a steam generator for passenger service. Built as GN EMD F3B no. 434B, the car is listed as being in “original condition.”
• Former Milwaukee Road EMD FP7A no. 96C, a 1951-built locomotive currently painted in Monon Railroad livery for use at the museum.
• Former Milwaukee Road EMD F7B no. 68B, a 1950-built locomotive retired in 1980. The locomotive will require restoration and must be trucked from the property.
• Former Pennsylvania Railroad Railway Post Office car no. 6523, a 1911-built RPO baggage car built by PRR’s Altoona shops.
• Former PRR Pullman sleeper no. 8007, the “Philadelphia County.” A 13-bedroom sleeper, the roller-bearing-equipped car was retired in 1967 after 30 years of service on trains including the “Broadway Limited.” According to Ozark Mountain’s website, the car has not been modified since it’s retirement. Reserve bid price is $1,900.
• Former Santa Fe stainless steel coaches nos. 3083 and 2400. The cars are 1938 and a 1939 respectively Budd-built long-distance coaches, both of which have been used as a parts source for other cars. The reserve price on each car is $3,200.

Other items included in the auction are Milwaukee Road refrigerator car no. 37191; Lake Erie & Western camp car no. X50571; PRR box car no. 497329; Swift Premium refrigerator cars nos. 25011, 25019 and 25023; U.S. Navy boxcar no. 4828; Louisville & Nashville box car no. 112088; a wooden Wabash box car; and a wooden, outside-braced boxcar believed to have been built for the Wabash Railroad.

A timeline for the scrapping of the unsold equipment is not listed.

For more information, visit ozarkmountainrailcar.com.

BourdonBoy

• President
  • A conductor of both kinds.
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 04:36:28 PM »
I had reason to pass through Hamilton County on Friday afternoon and went by the siding at 249th Street.  Saw that a crew had begun to put down a gravel pad by the sidings where the cars are stored, and the cars were roped-off with yellow tape.

monon_rr

• Dispatcher
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 09:35:43 PM »
My guess to either cart them out or get equipment in to scrap them.

Sad.

Wema

• Dispatcher
  • A Rail History Nut
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2019, 10:54:20 PM »
What cars are stored up there?

Anything worth saving or are all cars too far gone?

IN1312

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2019, 01:40:38 AM »
I guarantee the Milwaukee F7A is worth saving. It's partner maybe not so much except to maybe keep the set together. I kind of hope IRM in French Lick gets them. It would be nice to see them acquire an engine in Monon colors.

central1751

• Dispatcher
  • 6.6 miles from destiny. April 30th 1900
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2019, 09:53:12 AM »
The FP7 once pulled named passenger trains on the Milw Rd.  And mostly complete B units are getting a tad rare to find.  It would be nice to see them both saved. If only that line had an outside rail access on the north end, even temporary to get stuff out.  I suspect the high cost of trucking is making it much more difficult to find them new homes/owners.  I have pictures of 96c in better days while on lease in Kokomo to CERA for freight duties.  Mike

pabrankle

• Fireman
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2019, 10:18:56 AM »
As of this morning, the reserves have not been met for any of the 17 items in the auction (per Ozark Railcar website). 
Sadly, it looks like everything will probably be scapped.

monon_rr

• Dispatcher
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2019, 08:56:37 PM »
I am assuming the reserves are the projected scrap values?

pabrankle

• Fireman
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2019, 07:43:16 AM »
Per Ozark Mountain Railcar website, the reserves are as follows:

Amtrak (Great Northern) Steam Generator Car #661    $4,800
Milwaukee Road B Unit #68B    $4,800
Milwaukee Road FP7A #96C    $4,800
Milwaukee Road Refrigerator Car #37191    $950.
Lake Erie & Western Camp Car #X50571   $950
Pennsylvania Railroad Box Car #497329    $1,200
Pennsylvania Railroad Railway Post Office Car #6523   $1,900
Pennsylvania Railroad "Philadelphia County"    $1,900
Santa Fe Coach #2400    $3,200
Santa Fe Coach #3083    $3,200
Swift Premium Refrigerator Car #25011    $950
Swift Premium Refrigerator Car #25019    $950
Swift Premium Refrigerator Car #25023    $950
U.S. Navy Box Car #4828    $950
Wabash Wood Box Car     $950
Louisville & Nashville Box Car 112088   $950
Wood Outside Braced Boxcar #2     $950

pabrankle

• Fireman
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2019, 09:19:42 AM »
No bidders so far in Indiana museum auction

NOBLESVILLE, Ind. — The auction for several pieces of rolling stock left behind by the Indiana Transportation Museum at its former home is underway, but no bids have been received.

John Susheck with railroad equipment brokerage firm Ozark Mountain Railcar says there have been no bids placed for the 17 pieces of equipment currently under auction in Noblesville, Ind. The equipment is the remaining pieces of the collection formerly held by the Indiana Transpiration Museum, which was evicted from its former home in Noblesville last summer. According to the listing for the auction, whatever is not sold in the auction will be scrapped. The equipment included in the auction sits on property owned by the city of Noblesville. According to a court action last year, the equipment was deemed "abandoned to the city" since it was not removed from the property in July 2018. Any equipment sold in the auction will have to be trucked from its current location.

Susheck says several items listed in the auction are receiving significant traffic on Ozark Mountain's website. Among those gaining particular interest is former Milwaukee Road EMD F7A No. 96C. Susheck says all of the equipment in the auction is receiving an average of more than three views per hour, but the MLW 96C, which currently wears Monon Railroad livery, is receiving even more attention. Another popular item is the former Pennsylvania Railroad Pullman sleeper No. 8007, Philadelphia County, which Susheck calls a "really rare car." "There are some really historic pieces here," he says.

Susheck added, however, that it is normal for there to be no bids placed at this point in an auction. The auction got underway Monday morning and will conclude at 7 p.m. CST Wednesday, Sept. 11. Susheck says it's common for bidders to wait until near the end. “Every auction we've ever done has gone this way,” Susheck says. “Everyone is afraid if they place a bid now, someone would outbid them. It's always at the last minute that everyone places bids. It's kind of annoying, but that's the way it works.”

Trains reached out to officials with the Indiana Transportation Museum for comment regarding the auction, but Les McConnell, acting chair of the museum, said the organization has no comment. Susheck says he hopes the equipment will be sold and will not be scrapped. "I hate to see anything get cut up, but that place there has been mismanaged for a very long time and it was bound to happen," he says. "It's sad, but it is what is."

For more information and a full listing of the equipment available, visit ozarkmountainrailcar.com. Those wishing to bid on equipment will be required to register and meet several requirements.

jhause5301

• Brakeman
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2019, 10:38:05 AM »
would be nice if a few of these items could find there way to Terre Haute, the RPO and the F7A would be nice additions to their collection, even if they get stuffed and mounted.

crblue

• Dispatcher
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2019, 11:52:58 AM »
Maybe Scrap or someone knows...What would it cost to move one of the non-locomotives for, let's say, 100 miles?

What's the condition of the RPO or the sleeper? Are they cosmetically restorable?

pabrankle

• Fireman
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2019, 04:27:46 PM »
As of 09/11/2019 at 4:30 pm EST

Milwaukee Road Refrigerator Car #37191    Reserve $950 / Latest bid $1,000

Pennsylvania Railroad Box Car #497329      Reserve $1,200 / Latest bid $1,000

U.S. Navy Box Car #4828    Reserve $950 / Latest bid $1,000

Wood Outside Braced Boxcar #2    Reserve $950 / Latest bid $1,000

Looks as though a few pieces will find a new home

coal road

• Engineer