Author Topic: Derailment in Swanton Ohio  (Read 618 times)

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
Derailment in Swanton Ohio
« on: June 07, 2019, 07:48:37 AM »
Apparently there was a bad derailment in Swanton on the ns Chicago line last night.  Iíve heard it will be 24 hours before one of the two mains are open. 
Iíve been told a truck was stuck on the tracks not at a crossing.  Power outage, reports of gas leak, 15 or so cars and a couple engines. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

laker2555

• Conductor
Re: Derailment in Swanton Ohio
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 08:26:36 AM »
A Chevy Tahoe was driven onto the tracks and became stuck.  The driver, thought to be a drunk woman left the scene.  Train was 25Z.  Two engines and thirteen cars derailed but the train crew is thought to be ok.    Power poles were knocked down and a nearby propane tank was ruptured and leaking but no apparent explosion occurred.  There is also video of the accident posted on one of the Ohio news sites.  It was taken from a few streets down the track as the train passed by and you can really only make out the sound and a little explosion.  This also has apparently completely taken out the crossovers and a couple signals at CP307 which is the western access to Swanton yard. 

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 11:00:51 AM »
Looks like they are not running trains from Elkhart or Chicago for at least 12 hours.  Ft Wayne is still running what they can and I think they ran one of the  Bellevue trains down the ft Wayne line this morning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

laker2555

• Conductor
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 11:30:49 AM »
There is a video on the NS Chicago Line group on Facebook showing the Tahoe stuck and several people around the Main Street crossing at the time the train came through.  It also shows the initial impact. The woman allegedly by eye witnesses say she was extremely intoxicated and only escaped the vehicle moments before it was struck. 
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 11:41:08 AM by laker2555 »

IU_Tower

• Mogul
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2019, 11:57:30 AM »
Hoping YT doesn't pull this, but Delay In Block productions put a short video up this morning.....

ventrue

• Fireman
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2019, 03:37:55 PM »
Unfortunately, you can't see much at the point of collision, but it's quite a light show and it was filmed as it happened, including the tell tail air dumping.

https://www.wtol.com/video/news/train-crash-in-swanton/512-46b83fcf-3f40-4a55-b17a-9084bd22c332

Dustin

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2019, 10:11:40 PM »
Those people along the line are dang lucky. Thatís why I wouldnít live that close to a high speed line. A few more feet and they could of been gone. Canít imagine even staying there while they clean that up.