Author Topic: Train Derailment in Terre Haute  (Read 1628 times)

hytwr1

• Chief Dispatcher
Re: Train Derailment in Terre Haute
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2019, 11:03:02 PM »
Two shorts is used to acknowledge the engineer understands what he was told to do whether itís forward or reverse after heís acknowledged over the radio if thatís how it was received.  Some guys do that some donít and prefer just to talk on the radio.  Sometimes itís a response to hand signals just to let the conductor know heís received and to let others around know heís about to start moving.  At night in a yard itís helpful especially if the air isnít setup throughout the train. If you can hear the brakes release then thereís a good chance that cut of cars is getting ready to move.  If you hear the horn then you should be looking to see whoís getting ready to move. 
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having used them for a few years my problem with it is if you are going to acknowledge the transmission with it you need to follow up with the correct signal for the direction you are going to move. Otherwise the people working around you have no idea what way you are moving. Two shorts pause then three and back up.  I guess it is a crew preference. When you have two trains on adjacent tracks facing same direction and both blow the same signal but move in opposite directions it makes you go hmmm... LoL

Regarding braking, maybe the guys standing on the brakes are using both. I can hear the dynamics kick in but also see the shoe smoke. I am well aware of the NS dynamic rule too. They are all over guys who use any shoes and will check the box to make sure you don't.

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2019, 09:03:25 AM »
Having used them for a few years my problem with it is if you are going to acknowledge the transmission with it you need to follow up with the correct signal for the direction you are going to move. Otherwise the people working around you have no idea what way you are moving. Two shorts pause then three and back up.  I guess it is a crew preference. When you have two trains on adjacent tracks facing same direction and both blow the same signal but move in opposite directions it makes you go hmmm... LoL

Regarding braking, maybe the guys standing on the brakes are using both. I can hear the dynamics kick in but also see the shoe smoke. I am well aware of the NS dynamic rule too. They are all over guys who use any shoes and will check the box to make sure you don't.
Very good point.  I have not encountered that situation but I can see how it could cause a problem.   

Isnít it nice to know that someone in Atlanta can see your every move from a computer?

scraphauler

• Tycoon
  • Oberfeldwebel Hans Scraphauler
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2019, 10:14:33 AM »
Two more big derailments yesterday. NS double stacks in Ohio and UP coal in Iowa.  Last I heard it was a  CSX spy who left a vehicle abandoned on the NS line causing that pile up and a rouge CSX person who left the switch lined wrong in Iowa  :P

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2019, 10:48:12 PM »
Two more big derailments yesterday. NS double stacks in Ohio and UP coal in Iowa.  Last I heard it was a  CSX spy who left a vehicle abandoned on the NS line causing that pile up and a rouge CSX person who left the switch lined wrong in Iowa  :P

Sounds like another one in NS in W Va today.

FRA better start looking into them /s

huelsy

• Conductor
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2019, 03:24:20 AM »
Sounds like another one in NS in W Va today.

FRA better start looking into them /s

That the one with the hi-railer?

Sharky1

• Dispatcher
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2019, 08:04:18 AM »

When will these roads quit hiring such incredibly partisan employees? They need to understand that when one road looks bad, they all do!
There a fine line between a 'hobby' and a 'mental illness'.

xgap

• President
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2019, 11:55:12 PM »
Thankfully the NS stack pile up wasn't one of that route's Amtraks.

When will these roads quit hiring such incredibly partisan employees? They need to understand that when one road looks bad, they all do!

LOL, Dependent on the where and when of one's perspective. Then to others it could be comparable to the Ford -Chevy-Chrysler choice.

Broadway

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2019, 01:14:41 PM »
Thatís a double edged sword there.  I donít have factual data but Iíll bet a paycheck that these are mostly human error.  This just gives the company another reason to get rid of people.  You will not get rid of all accidents, risk of injury is just part of the job but keeping them at a bare minimum would be ideal. 

Iíd like to see numbers comparing remote engines and engineer/conductor jobs over an equal time period and accidents that occurred.

Very good points. To use a local company as an example, and I'll go ahead and open up the hornets nest of single-man crews, too:  the INRD has had one FRA-reportable derailment with a single-man road freight. And it was the fault of the engineer for not properly using trainline air. INRD has also had one employee on-duty fatality with a two-man crew, and it was also human error. Be careful what you wish for.

IndyHog

• Superintendent
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2019, 01:16:24 PM »
Aren't all accidents some form of human error?
Meet the new boss, he's the same as the old boss......wait a minute, He's much worse

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
Train Derailment in Terre Haute
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2019, 04:43:57 PM »
Very good points. To use a local company as an example, and I'll go ahead and open up the hornets nest of single-man crews, too:  the INRD has had one FRA-reportable derailment with a single-man road freight. And it was the fault of the engineer for not properly using trainline air. INRD has also had one employee on-duty fatality with a two-man crew, and it was also human error. Be careful what you wish for.
No need to be careful when I base my stance on facts, not what is popular.  Iíd like to honestly see what the numbers are for remotes and two man switching crews in the same yard or division for a given time.  The hours paid, the cars moved, the accidents that occurred along with cost of maintenance. 

Since railroads arenít humping near the cars they were 30 years ago, Iíd say remotes are on par with two man jobs today.  The main money consumer with remotes Iíve witnessed are repair costs.  For every hour working on those you take away an electrician and machinist from other work.  Then that backlogs those engines getting repaired/maintained which causes delays on the road and it dominoes from there. 

There is also a big difference in using a single man crew on a small railroad like INRD vs a class 1. 

sfunk6363

• Fireman
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2019, 10:37:47 PM »
No need to be careful when I base my stance on facts, not what is popular.  Iíd like to honestly see what the numbers are for remotes and two man switching crews in the same yard or division for a given time.  The hours paid, the cars moved, the accidents that occurred along with cost of maintenance. 

Since railroads arenít humping near the cars they were 30 years ago, Iíd say remotes are on par with two man jobs today.  The main money consumer with remotes Iíve witnessed are repair costs.  For every hour working on those you take away an electrician and machinist from other work.  Then that backlogs those engines getting repaired/maintained which causes delays on the road and it dominoes from there. 

There is also a big difference in using a single man crew on a small railroad like INRD vs a class 1. 

What happens to that train if something happens to that one person on that train

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2019, 11:34:44 PM »
What happens to that train if something happens to that one person on that train

Train comes to a stop.

sfunk6363

• Fireman
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2019, 11:36:05 PM »
Train comes to a stop.
How

IU_Tower

• Mogul
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2019, 11:39:40 PM »
How

Doesn't the train come to a stop if the Alerter isn't reset? Assuming that the engine pulling has an Alerter built in of course.

sfunk6363

• Fireman
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2019, 11:43:08 PM »
How

The smaller roads willnot have ptc in use so how doyou stop those one person trains

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2019, 11:47:42 PM »
The smaller roads willnot have ptc in use so how doyou stop those one person trains

Alerter will stop the train if not acknowledged

sfunk6363

• Fireman
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2019, 11:50:52 PM »

Alerter will stop the train if not acknowledged

Ok so that means that all engines have alerters on them

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2019, 11:52:59 PM »

Supposed to.  Or some other kind of dead mans device.  Supposed to be operational too.

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2019, 04:30:23 PM »

As mentioned already, yes.  I believe itís FRA that it must be tested before the engine is moved for that job.