Author Topic: CSX crossing W 16th Street, Indianapolis  (Read 372 times)

crblue

• Dispatcher
CSX crossing W 16th Street, Indianapolis
« on: June 07, 2019, 07:29:30 AM »
...INDOT has put up tracks out of service signs.
Scrap made this comment about INDOT and "tracks out of service" signs which made me think of the CSX (formerly IU) west Belt crossing of west 16th Street in Indianapolis.

Maybe 6 months ago, Marion County DPW put up signs approaching the crossing that said something along the lines of "crossing out of service". Maybe 2-3 months ago, the crossing protection (cross-bucks and lights) disappeared and so did the "crossing out of service" signs. The only evidence of a rail crossing is the railroad tracks on either side of the street and across the street.

Of course, buses and fuel tankers still stop for the railroad crossing.

I contacted Marion County DPW and told them the crossing was out of service several months ago and suggested they verify it with CSX. Whether that happened or not is anyone's guess. Given that the Belt has been paved over at White River Parkway, which is south of this crossing on 16th Street, and I think the bridge over White River is out of service, I think it's safe to say that CSX has no further interest in conducting commerce on this line north of WR Pkwy.

It's just annoying to be driving on 16th Street, which I do just about every day, and get stopped by a bus or a fuel tanker whose driver thinks it's an in-service railroad crossing.

So, I guess my bigger question is whether or not CSX plans to officially abandon this stretch of track. Anyone know?

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
Re: CSX crossing W 16th Street, Indianapolis
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 08:47:48 AM »
While looking for a filing Re: the IMC, I saw where CSX reaches a trail agreement for the former NYC main at the end of the NW belt.

Looks like tracks have been removed up there.

Canít find the filing on the STB site though.