Author Topic: NS announces TOP21  (Read 620 times)

crblue

• Dispatcher
NS announces TOP21
« on: June 05, 2019, 11:40:06 AM »
http://www.nscorp.com/content/nscorp/en/news/norfolk-southern-prepares-to-roll-out-top21-precision-scheduled-.html

I wonder if this means we'll no longer see short auto parts trains on the Wabash.

Laguna Man

• Chief Dispatcher
Re: NS announces TOP21
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 03:36:45 PM »
Translation: Yard closures, fewer trains and employees. Wall Street cheers as railroads continue to "cut" their way to growth. Meanwhile, the railroad companies continue to shrink and the investment world doesn't seem to notice. Stock holders are happy and company officials continue to make big money.

Dschro

• Conductor
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 09:17:53 PM »
Well put, Laguna Man!!

NS7112

• Dispatcher
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 09:47:17 PM »
Scary thing is RR's continue to shrink and will never recover that ROW they have lost unlike highways where they just eminent domain their way for new roads.  I get a lot of routes are non profitable and need to be sold off but RR's will never ever regain the row they have lost!! 

xgap

• President
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2019, 11:41:28 PM »
“TOP21 will improve our network fluidity and velocity, reduce our circuity and train miles, make our railroad more resilient, and give us greater capacity for growth,”
I appreciate and will let you guys in the field tell the tale. But to me, that's a bunch of BS for Wall Street. Sure Not going to happen with Less.

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 04:06:38 PM »
Plan is to increase block swapping, running more DP trains, close smaller yards 10 so far with 25 by August.  I know numbers can be manipulated but what was presented is positive for the company.  Here are some numbers for the second quarter:  dwell time down 36% best week avg17.8 hrs, 18% less ns cars online, shipment consistency up 62% best week was 91.4% and 5 weeks above 88%, customer volume served 6+ days up 67%. 

Most of the plan sounds like common sense operation wise, but as I said when csx started doing this why wasn’t it done before and I still think they all had the mindset what we are doing is good enough. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MSchwiebert

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 09:05:03 PM »
Just remember, the most dangerous phrase in any business is "We've always done it that way".  It is refreshing to see the industry adjust to the realities that are currently happening and yet to come.  If nothing else, the amount of change in operating ratio shows that there is indeed "flab" in the companies that have made the change.  It'll be interesting to watch NS go through the process and emerge leaner and stronger than they were before.

Plan is to increase block swapping, running more DP trains, close smaller yards 10 so far with 25 by August.  I know numbers can be manipulated but what was presented is positive for the company.  Here are some numbers for the second quarter:  dwell time down 36% best week avg17.8 hrs, 18% less ns cars online, shipment consistency up 62% best week was 91.4% and 5 weeks above 88%, customer volume served 6+ days up 67%. 

Most of the plan sounds like common sense operation wise, but as I said when csx started doing this why wasn’t it done before and I still think they all had the mindset what we are doing is good enough. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk