Author Topic: O/D for Auto Parts Box Cars  (Read 695 times)

MP173

• Fireman
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
O/D for Auto Parts Box Cars
« on: May 04, 2019, 05:06:34 PM »
Does anyone know the origin/destination pairing for the big auto parts box cars which run on the NS line to Chicago?

Westbound moves on 37M and eastbound on 34G.  I believe both trains run to/from Belt Clearing Yard.  Not sure what the western carrier is.  These movements are nearly daily on both trains.  Today's 37M had 9 of the huge box cars while the eastbound 34G had 11 such cars.  These cars are almost always on the front end of both trains. 

Kinda interesting cars.

Thanks for help on this.

ed

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
Re: O/D for Auto Parts Box Cars
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 05:58:42 PM »
Does anyone know the origin/destination pairing for the big auto parts box cars which run on the NS line to Chicago?

Westbound moves on 37M and eastbound on 34G.  I believe both trains run to/from Belt Clearing Yard.  Not sure what the western carrier is.  These movements are nearly daily on both trains.  Today's 37M had 9 of the huge box cars while the eastbound 34G had 11 such cars.  These cars are almost always on the front end of both trains. 

Kinda interesting cars.

Thanks for help on this.

ed
I do not know off the top of my head.  Next time I get a chance I’ll look at the profile and see where they are going.  I don’t have access to see where they originally came from.  The G is a cluster of destinations.  That gets rehumped in Elkhart and split into many east bound trains. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CSXIndyLine

• Mogul
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 06:01:44 PM »
34G comes off the BNSF and originates at Northtown I believe. 37M is Elkhart-Clearing as you said. In the past I’d heard that they were for Ford (?) up in the Twin Cities region.
The gates are going down and the people are starting to frown.

16 down, 4 to go.

crblue

• Dispatcher
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 07:28:05 AM »
Twin Cities Assembly closed about 8 years ago when the previous generation Ranger went out of production.

Ford has assembly plants in Chicago (Taurus, Explorer), Flat Rock MI (Mustang, Lincoln Continental), Kansas City (F-150, Transit), Louisville (Kentucky Truck: Super Duty, Expedition, Lincoln Navigator; Louisville Assembly: Escape), Wayne MI (Ranger), Avon Lake OH (Econoline, big trucks), Cuautitlán Mex (Fiesta), Hermosillo Mex (Fusion).

My guess is that if you are seeing westbound auto parts box cars headed towards Chicago with what might be Ford parts, they are headed towards Chicago Assembly, Kansas City, or Mexico.

MP173

• Fireman
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 02:03:21 PM »
Thanks for detail on the assembly plants. 

My guess after that info is the parts cars are heading to Mexico.  If going to Chicago, the cars wouldnt be going to Clearing, but to NS - Calumet area for delivery.

Mexico makes sense in that 34G and 37M are both Clearing trains and depending on the routing (UP or KCS) a Clearing route would seem feasible.  Just thinking out loud tho.

Ed

mp 126

• Dispatcher
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2019, 07:26:09 AM »
CSX use to run a similar train thru Garrett IN, Autoracks with like 4-8 auto parts boxcars on the head end, It always stood out. I have not noticed the train in the last couple years.  Mike