Author Topic: IU Tower Demolition Has Begun  (Read 10240 times)

IndyHog

• President
Re: IU Tower Demolition Has Begun
« Reply #80 on: July 19, 2019, 05:26:42 PM »
Yes, it would be interesting to see how much property tax CSX pays in Indy. I’m sure it’s a matter of public record.
Meet the new boss, he's the same as the old boss......wait a minute, He's much worse

crblue

• Dispatcher
« Reply #81 on: July 19, 2019, 05:52:04 PM »
Yes, it would be interesting to see how much property tax CSX pays in Indy. I’m sure it’s a matter of public record.
The problem is searching for all the parcels. Just searching for "CSX" as the property owner may not be be enough as some parcels may not have yet been legally transferred from previous owners. It's interesting to note that if you do search for "CSX", there are a number of parcels listed as "Abandoned ROW" which I assume are strips of land that CSX can't give away.

I did find the parcel for the land that IU Tower sat on, but the property assessment card lists no value.

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #82 on: July 19, 2019, 06:39:41 PM »
Lets see here. Why would IU have been a good Location for MOW, and the Signal Department? Central Location, Easy Access to Both I 65 and I 70. From AVON, Wow the Traffic they have to deal with and how far is it from Avon to I 465? And they are still Paying Taxes for Buildings in Avon.

IU_Tower

• Mogul
« Reply #83 on: July 19, 2019, 07:16:32 PM »
Lets see here. Why would IU have been a good Location for MOW, and the Signal Department? Central Location, Easy Access to Both I 65 and I 70. From AVON, Wow the Traffic they have to deal with and how far is it from Avon to I 465? And they are still Paying Taxes for Buildings in Avon.

Highly doubt you'd be able to cram both MOW and signals into a three story tower will all the gear they would need.... but hey. Let's continue to beat the dead (and now buried) horse. You are delusional.....

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #84 on: July 19, 2019, 07:35:23 PM »
The building at CP MY was removed too.

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
« Reply #85 on: July 19, 2019, 07:59:42 PM »
The problem is searching for all the parcels. Just searching for "CSX" as the property owner may not be be enough as some parcels may not have yet been legally transferred from previous owners. It's interesting to note that if you do search for "CSX", there are a number of parcels listed as "Abandoned ROW" which I assume are strips of land that CSX can't give away.

I did find the parcel for the land that IU Tower sat on, but the property assessment card lists no value.
There’s a chance csx wasn’t paying taxes on it, possibly. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peoria Man

• Conductor
« Reply #86 on: July 19, 2019, 08:18:22 PM »
Its possible the tax rate may go down for that specific parcel of land once the building is removed from it. 

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #87 on: July 19, 2019, 08:55:47 PM »
When did they tear down MY. Also what did they tear down in Anderson before coming to IU?

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
« Reply #88 on: July 19, 2019, 09:13:25 PM »
When did they tear down MY. Also what did they tear down in Anderson before coming to IU?

Not sure exactly. Last couple of days probably

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
« Reply #89 on: July 19, 2019, 09:33:49 PM »
According to a post on another group, demolition started today, 7/19.  Can anyone confirm?

Photos of demo should be on previous page of this thread.

hytwr1

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #90 on: July 19, 2019, 09:39:14 PM »
There’s a chance csx wasn’t paying taxes on it, possibly. 

Exactly right. I found they don't pay on a lot of the property people think they do.

They don't own the property. Correct? Lilly does?

crblue

• Dispatcher
« Reply #91 on: July 20, 2019, 08:09:17 AM »
Ok, folks. This isn't difficult. You just have to do your research.

According to the MapIndy site (http://maps.indy.gov/MapIndy/index.html), the property that IU Tower sat on is owned by CSX Transportation, Inc. The Marion County parcel number is 1100678. You can search the County Assessor's property cards at http://maps.indy.gov/AssessorPropertyCards/. Search on the parcel number and you'll see the card which shows the assessed valuation is $0.00. You can also find CSX's tax bill for the property by going here: https://www.indy.gov/workflow/property-taxes and searching using the parcel number given above.

But, I'll save you all that work. CSX's 2018 property tax bill, payable in 2019, for that property was $0.00.

I don't know how this works, but somehow that property is assessed with zero valuation and CSX pays zero property taxes on it.

And, no, the property is not owned by Lilly. In fact, if you look at the block bound by Pennsylvania Street, South Street, Delaware Street, and what used to be Georgia Street, the property owners are Marion County Convention and Recreation Facilities Authority, CSX Transportation, and an entity named "NOS TBR LLC". No Lilly ownership. Of course, if you cross Delaware or South, that's another matter.

As for making IU Tower a base for any maintenance forces, in order to access the tower, they'd have to cross the tracks. If they needed to move material to/from the tower, they'd probably need a track warrant or a flagman to protect their movement (those with current operating credentials can expand on that). It just doesn't make sense when there are more suitable and more easily accessible buildings elsewhere in the CSX empire.

The idea of some sort of under-the-tracks access is a non-starter, too, due the costs and hazards involved with excavating a 100+ year old fill that was used to elevate the tracks in that area. And, then, there's Pogue's Run which flows generally east to west under part of that property. Pogue's Run was a big concern when the Indiana Fieldhouse (that was the name on the construction plans for the building that came to be known as "Bankers Life" and, yes, I was involved in that project) was built. I know excavation contractors who specifically stayed away from that project because of the unknowns involved in excavating around Pogue's Run.

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
« Reply #92 on: July 20, 2019, 09:45:03 AM »
You wouldn’t need a flag man or track authority to cross those tracks.  I agree, it wouldn’t make sense to use this building or lot for anything other than what it was used for. 

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #93 on: July 20, 2019, 12:16:30 PM »
Yesterday while we were watching them take the Tower Down, It was Very Sad to here that there were several Artifacts that were still in the Tower that went down with it. Lots of Pictures and Items with the Operators that were there on the Day it Closed.

DRLOCO

• Dispatcher
  • That's Real Nice!
« Reply #94 on: July 20, 2019, 09:14:31 PM »
I feel like the vaguely named "NOS TBR INC" is Norfolk Southern Thoroughbred Reality...but that may just be me mis-remembering things...
Professional Locomotive Engineer and train nerd with most social skills.

crblue

• Dispatcher
« Reply #95 on: July 20, 2019, 10:27:08 PM »
A Google search for "NOS TBR INC" turns up an application for building code review (fire sprinkler system) of a mixed-use commercial/apartment building named Cityway 2:

https://www.cityway.com/cityway-2.aspx
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 07:28:57 AM by crblue »

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
« Reply #96 on: July 20, 2019, 11:46:18 PM »
You wouldn’t need a flag man or track authority to cross those tracks.  I agree, it wouldn’t make sense to use this building or lot for anything other than what it was used for. 

If they decided to put the storage for materials and equipment between tracks, they’d need protection on the AMTRAK lead and #2 main to move that stuff across.

Broadway

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #97 on: July 21, 2019, 08:59:47 PM »
Common sense, guys:  they would have to modify the daylights out of the IU structure for storage and MOW. There is absolutely no point in spend the $$$ on a major gutting and rebuilding of a 100-year-old building, when they have plenty of room at Avon, Hawthorne, Anderson, etc. etc. for MOW.

There was absolutely no point in keeping IU, and only the blindest of the blind seem to not get this. As a fan, I'd love to have 100s of interlocking towers still protecting railroad crossings all over the country. It's a part of the human element that's sorely missed. But this is a business, not a petting zoo. Stop it.

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
IU Tower Demolition Has Begun
« Reply #98 on: July 21, 2019, 09:26:10 PM »
If they decided to put the storage for materials and equipment between tracks, they’d need protection on the AMTRAK lead and #2 main to move that stuff across.
Why would they?  Just talk to the dispatcher and see when they have time to cross. 

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
« Reply #99 on: July 21, 2019, 09:32:10 PM »
Why would they?  Just talk to the dispatcher and see when they have time to cross. 

Because MOW can’t foul a track without permission of the controlling station.