Author Topic: IU Tower Demolition Has Begun  (Read 4007 times)

hytwr1

• Chief Dispatcher
Re: IU Tower Demolition Has Begun
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2019, 08:57:01 AM »
But business is business. If us railfans were running the business, the business would probably be broke.)

That is the key right there. Most railfans are cheap and don't want to spend their money on something when someone else should spend theirs. That's the mentality we in the preservation business deal with every day.

I am betting nobody went to CSX with a viable plan and cash to back it up. Of course the fact the IU building is sitting where it is doesn't help. Even if it was in an open field, you have to have a plan and the cash to go with it.

The general public has no interest because they have no idea what the building is. We have visitors in Haley all the time who say "wow, I never knew...".

It's too bad the tower can't be incorporated into the hotel in some way but the train shed nixes that.

scraphauler

• Tycoon
  • Oberfeldwebel Hans Scraphauler
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2019, 09:27:14 AM »
That is the key right there. Most railfans are cheap and don't want to spend their money on something when someone else should spend theirs. That's the mentality we in the preservation business deal with every day

AMEN.  Lots of keyboard warriors who know everything love to expound on "if they would only do x-y-z"  Put your time, effort, and money where your mouth is.  I appreciate and respect those who heavily invest their blood, sweet and tears, and most importantly money, into preservation - be it preserving an old building or piece of equipment, or saving a rail line to operate as a tourist or shortline carrier.  No matter how much their effort may be a task similar to Don Quixote, and even if I think it is not worth it, I respect their efforts and value their opinion. 

scraphauler

• Tycoon
  • Oberfeldwebel Hans Scraphauler
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2019, 09:41:42 AM »
As for IU tower, or any other old railroad structure everyone romanticizes about, at the end of the day, these unused things are a liability.  Lots of industries, including railroads, have been hit by lawsuits using the Attractive Nuisance Doctrine.

The attractive nuisance doctrine applies to the law of torts, in the United States. It states that a landowner may be held liable for injuries to children trespassing on the land if the injury is caused by an object on the land that is likely to attract children.  The doctrine is designed to protect children who are unable to appreciate the risk posed by the object, by imposing a liability on the landowner.  The doctrine has been applied to hold landowners liable for injuries caused by abandoned cars, piles of lumber or sand, trampolines, and swimming pools. However, it can be applied to virtually anything on the property of the landowner.  There is no set cut off point that defines youth. The courts will evaluate each "child" on case by case basis to see if the "child" qualifies as a youth.

This has been used for issues like teenagers and young twenty something snowflake climbing on top of a box car and coming into contact with electric wires.   Or falling in an open hatch cover on a covered hopper.  Or falling thru the floor of a on interlocking tower. Or falling off an old signal tower, Or......The list goes on.

So let say little Billy falls thru the floor of IU tower and dies.  Little Billy's grieving parents reach in their legal tool box and pull our a hammer or other "tool" and sue CSXT for a bagillion dollars.  CSXT's response will be to review the case - If we win, our defense will cost us X.   If a jury of like minded "No One has any Respect for the Upper Management at CSX. As the Old Saying Goes, What Goes Around, Comes Around" people are seated and we loose, it will cost us Z.  Somewhere in the middle is Y, the true amount this case will cost, win, loose, or draw.  So the case never goes to court and is settled for an amount somewhere between X and Y.

Those are real dollars spent by CSXT.  So it should not be surprising to anyone that CSXT (or an company for that matter) will take steps to minimize these risks - that coupled to tax implications, maintenance costs, etc., mean a lot of "history" can not be saved.  Like so many issues in today's society, the real reasons are often much deeper than 'big bad company" not caring.

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2019, 03:35:52 PM »
Thanks, I had forgotten about that.

Along the same lines, I'm told Hick Tower in East Chicago is still open but no longer controls the 502 interlocking.  The operator's job is just to raise and lower the bridge over the ship canal.
This is correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trafficcritic

• Dispatcher
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2019, 06:39:12 PM »
In October of 2017 while departing in the AMTK 50 Cardinal out of IUS early in the morning, I peered in the windows of IU through my passing train and saw lots of cool pretty blinking green lights in the lower level of the tower. It looked like there were some server racks in there of some sort. I think that was prior to all the work they did last year renovating all the switches though. Maybe it was all ripped out after that.

Btw, this thread is pretty entertaining. I enjoy and appreciate reading the commentary of the experienced railroaders here.

SuperC

• Conductor
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2019, 01:19:32 PM »
Environmental cleanup crew removing shingles today from the tower.

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2019, 03:11:18 PM »
IU Tower did not close until 1993. 1980 is not correct. It was shortly after Mel Hartley Retired IN 1993 that Conrail Closed the Tower.. I just talked to Mel about the Date and He made the Date it Closed Very Clear. I was married to my Second Wife in 90 and it was Still Open then.

laker2555

• Conductor
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2019, 12:44:00 PM »
Cell grab today of the shingle removal. 

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2019, 04:28:01 PM »
Sent Photo's to Mel Hartley and His comment was this is a Sad Loss for a Piece of Railroad History in Indianapolis and Union Station and to see IU Tower coming down Makes Him Sick.

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2019, 12:29:04 PM »
Seen that the Shingles have been removed off the Roof. Anything else being done yet. Heard that they are hoping to have the Tower down by the end of August.

Freightrain

• Superintendent
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2019, 01:34:08 PM »
That is the key right there. Most railfans are cheap and don't want to spend their money on something when someone else should spend theirs. That's the mentality we in the preservation business deal with every day.

I am betting nobody went to CSX with a viable plan and cash to back it up. Of course the fact the IU building is sitting where it is doesn't help. Even if it was in an open field, you have to have a plan and the cash to go with it.

The general public has no interest because they have no idea what the building is. We have visitors in Haley all the time who say "wow, I never knew...".

It's too bad the tower can't be incorporated into the hotel in some way but the train shed nixes that.
we would be fired to maybe flipping hamburgers or something we wouldn't be CEOs of companies or anything like that. We might find a place in government though

OSIJ

• Conductor
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2019, 02:40:57 PM »
 IMHO I think IU Tower was the most iconic tower in Indianapolis and I've been in several in my lifetime. It probably would have taken a billionaire to fund the dismantling, the move, and the rebuilding of it but I have my pictures and great memories of being in there. Life goes on.

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2019, 01:40:50 PM »
Was down by IU Tower today and it seems that Nothing has been done since they took the shingles off the roof. I was told that they were hopping to have the Tower down by the End of August. Has anyone heard an New News about what is going on with the Tower?

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2019, 04:47:50 PM »
Was up at Lucas Oil today and went by the Tower and nothing has been done as far.

LimitedClear

• Conductor
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2019, 06:06:28 PM »
I thought I saw that it's going to the Whitewater Valley Railroad in Connersville.

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2019, 06:22:32 PM »
I thought I saw that it's going to the Whitewater Valley Railroad in Connersville.

Model boards and machines.  Tower to come down.

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2019, 07:43:28 PM »
Last I had heard the Plan was to have it Down by the End of August.

danielm75

• Fireman
« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2019, 02:25:30 PM »
IMHO I think IU Tower was the most iconic tower in Indianapolis and I've been in several in my lifetime. It probably would have taken a billionaire to fund the dismantling, the move, and the rebuilding of it but I have my pictures and great memories of being in there. Life goes on.

Another reason to win the lottery! A person would be able to help keep things like IU tower around for later generations to enjoy (albeit, in maybe a different location than when originally built).

Broadway

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2019, 11:25:12 AM »
Another reason to win the lottery! A person would be able to help keep things like IU tower around for later generations to enjoy (albeit, in maybe a different location than when originally built).

What keeps getting lost here is that even with a record lottery payout like the $1.6B Megamillions from early this year, the cost and risk of moving IU without it crumbling to pieces would hardly make it worth it. Brick and mortar don't like to be shaken; how are you going to get IU over a mainline track and down to street level? It would be easier to just build a replica at Whitewater Valley Museum and install the model board and other items that are being harvested from the original. It would've been a whole lot easier to save a tower like Woods, Davis, or Thorne, given their build type and location.

rrnut282

• President
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2019, 12:37:10 PM »
Why move it?  It would make a great train watching location as-is, where-is.  Just needs Air-conditioning and an underground access so fans don't have to trespass on live tracks.  (sorry, I didn't win the lottery, either)
rrnut2-8-2
(Mike)