Author Topic: IU Tower Demolition Has Begun  (Read 3822 times)

hytwr1

• Chief Dispatcher
Re: IU Tower Demolition Has Begun
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2019, 06:16:49 PM »

Iím also grateful that places like Haley Tower are preserved as they are.  As Mr Foster has said in my visits up there: ďthe tower doesnít *know* itís disconnected (paraphrasing of course)Ē. Thatís the best kind of preservation.

Thanks for the plug! It was a lot better with live feed from the CSX radio dispatch system. If I'm not mistaken we had the only class 1 live feed running a preserved interlocking machine until the sat system.

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2019, 09:40:37 PM »
F Tower in Fostoria went remote control about 4 years ago, I think. Was that the last of the interlocking towers in the midwest that were staffed by humans?

F was a singularly weird situation.

They literally pretty much installed a dispatching console in the existing tower.
Even though everything was right there, the console was on the CSX network. The commands all went to Jacksonville where the dispatch system sent the commands back out over the BCP network to the MCPs in Fostoria.

All F tower was for the final years of it's like was a building with a computer in it.

In many ways IU was more of a functional tower in it's last years the F was.
If in doubt, Notch it out!

ckpcpqq

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2019, 10:50:25 PM »
F Tower in Fostoria went remote control about 4 years ago, I think. Was that the last of the interlocking towers in the midwest that were staffed by humans?

There are at least four left in the Chicago area: West Chicago, Bensenville and Towers A-2 and A-5 along the Metra-Milwaukee route.

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2019, 10:58:26 PM »
There are at least four left in the Chicago area: West Chicago, Bensenville and Towers A-2 and A-5 along the Metra-Milwaukee route.
I believe B12 and B17 are the towers in bensenville still maned. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xgap

• President
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2019, 12:21:58 AM »
Clagg lives albeit without the original CTC board the was replaced with what?

ckpcpqq

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2019, 11:05:32 AM »
I believe B12 and B17 are the towers in bensenville still maned. 

B17 is the Bensenville tower. 

Although the junction is sometimes called B12, the tower itself was removed from service many years ago and has been moved to downtown Franklin Park.  It has been restored and I'm told it now houses a small museum.  The B12 interlocking at Franklin Park is now controlled by Metra subject to oversight by CP.

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2019, 11:15:24 AM »
B17 is the Bensenville tower. 

Although the junction is sometimes called B12, the tower itself was removed from service many years ago and has been moved to downtown Franklin Park.  It has been restored and I'm told it now houses a small museum.  The B12 interlocking at Franklin Park is now controlled by Metra subject to oversight by CP.
Gotcha.  I donít get up that way to often but I think I know where you are talking about the b12 tower.  If itís where I think it is, it sits right next to the tracks.  I donít know the street right there but I remember seeing a structure that looked like an old tower last summer when I went by there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peoria Man

• Engineer
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2019, 11:35:12 AM »
A-5 closed a couple years ago, but it sees Metra employees there all the time as they have a little maintenance base there, so its not boarded up like Rondout tower further north...

csxdispatcher

• Dispatcher
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2019, 12:37:15 PM »

Delray is also still in use in Detroit.  It is scheduled to be closed next year.

CSX10020

• Dispatcher
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2019, 03:20:33 PM »
Willows tower in East St. Louis is still manned, I think. They for sure closed HN Cabin a few years ago and moved things over to Rose Lake.

ckpcpqq

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2019, 11:13:49 AM »
A-5 closed a couple years ago, but it sees Metra employees there all the time as they have a little maintenance base there, so its not boarded up like Rondout tower further north...

Thanks, I had forgotten about that.

Along the same lines, I'm told Hick Tower in East Chicago is still open but no longer controls the 502 interlocking.  The operator's job is just to raise and lower the bridge over the ship canal.

doublestacks

• Mogul
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2019, 11:23:00 AM »
Anyone got pics of the destruction? I know im probably the only one that likes to see the big toys at work on the structure. Or has it started yet?

Im sure it will come down quick no bigger than what it is.
Steel is real and it feels no pain.

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2019, 04:40:31 PM »
They have not started to tear IU Down Yet. I understand now why they want it Gone. For those who may not know this, a New Signal Bridge has been Built just East of the Tower and Eastbound Trains can Not see the Signals coming out of Union Station. This is the same thing that they done at DX. Built Signals right where the Diamond would go, So that anyone who would get the old Nickel Plate could Not have access to the belt. So this way CSX has a Reason to get Rid of IU Interlock and Stop anyone from using the Nickel Plate Line unless they put a Bridge in at 10th Street. IU was the only remaining Tower out of around 27 Towers in Indianapolis. What a Cheap Skate way to get rid of a Historical Building. No wonder, No One has any Respect for the Upper Management at CSX. As the Old Saying Goes, What Goes Around, Comes Around.

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2019, 05:46:33 PM »
How does knocking the tower down in any way, shape, or form, restrict anyone from getting to IU?

Looking at Google maps, you could put a switch in just west of the new signals at the old diamond, and still access the Belt.  Thereís no way a diamond would be going back in there, and I doubt there is any way to force CSX to put one in, its their line, crossing their line.  Any pie in the sky passenger service would want direct access to downtown anyway, so the new bridge at 10th St is a given.

Youíve had some nonsensical rants on here, but this one takes the cake.

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2019, 08:30:37 PM »
I think if you will reread what I said about the Diamond at DX, You will see that I said that if any one took over the Nickel Plate Line that the have No Access to the Belt at DX Because of where the Signals were Placed Right where the Diamond would be. That the Railroad would have to put a Bridge in at 10th Street to move their Freight. I also Said that by Placing The Signal Bridge East of the Tower Gave CSX what they wanted to Tear Down the Tower as well. Also You should try to make it to MCL 3630 South East Street for the (NRHS) National Railway Historical Society Meeting June 12th at 530 pm. 90 Percent of these Guys are Retired Railroaders. I know that you do not like what I say about this subject, and you May not like what a lot of those retirees have to say about IU either. I hear a lot of Feed Back from them as well.  I guess this is what we Call Free Speech. Sorry

IU_Tower

• Mogul
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2019, 09:41:05 PM »
I think if you will reread what I said about the Diamond at DX, You will see that I said that if any one took over the Nickel Plate Line that the have No Access to the Belt at DX Because of where the Signals were Placed Right where the Diamond would be. That the Railroad would have to put a Bridge in at 10th Street to move their Freight. I also Said that by Placing The Signal Bridge East of the Tower Gave CSX what they wanted to Tear Down the Tower as well. Also You should try to make it to MCL 3630 South East Street for the (NRHS) National Railway Historical Society Meeting June 12th at 530 pm. 90 Percent of these Guys are Retired Railroaders. I know that you do not like what I say about this subject, and you May not like what a lot of those retirees have to say about IU either. I hear a lot of Feed Back from them as well.  I guess this is what we Call Free Speech. Sorry

Like it or not, the tower is a privately owned building. It can be torn down without obtaining permission from anyone, even retirees.

Whilst I don't like it either, it will happen. It's a sign of technological advancement and manned (or unmanned) towers are a relic of the past. Was there this much uproar when DX, MY, Dale, or IJ were torn down? I doubt it.

IndyHog

• Superintendent
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2019, 11:00:49 PM »
I imagine it has a lot to do with IU being the last tower physically in town. It is a very visable and aesthetic reminder of better era in railroading. To quote photobob, "it's all crap now".
Meet the new boss, he's the same as the old boss......wait a minute, He's much worse

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2019, 12:50:21 AM »

You need to re-read what I said.

Have you looked where they put the signals?  Plenty of room to put a switch to access the Belt in either direction if needed (it isnít).  Nevermind the bridge issues on the NKP itself.  No way in hell CSX would put the diamond back in, let alone fix up that part of the Belt without some kind of major traffic source.

Any passenger service is going to want direct access to IU, so the bridge over 10th will be a necessity.  Why arenít you blaming the NS for allowing the bridge to be removed?

The tower is coming down because I bet dollars to donuts Marion County is charging property taxes on the building that is IU tower.  CSX is knocking down unused or under utilized buildings system wide.  Why pay property taxes on something youíre not using?  Not some vengeful view on history.  Itís business.

crblue

• Dispatcher
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2019, 07:42:21 AM »
There's no requirement for foamers and old heads to understand the business side of railroading.

The building is an "icon" only to railfans and old railroaders. However, railroaders and railfans are but a small percentage of the population. The much larger percentage of the population cares nothing about the building that once controlled IU Interlocking. It's inaccessible to the public and serves no useful purpose to either the general population or, now, the railroad.

A client of mine used to find itself with buildings that weren't being used for any business purpose. So, they would turn off the heat in the building. Then they remembered that the building had a wet pipe fire sprinkler system that might freeze with no heat. So, they'd shut off the water and put up placards saying that nobody could enter the building due to the fire hazard. Then the property tax bill came. Lessee, unused building, no future business purpose on the radar, building is costing money just to keep it, TEAR IT DOWN. The bulldozers couldn't get there quick enough.

The building that once controlled IU Interlocking has served its purpose, but that purpose has passed and the building is now a liability to its owner. Get your pictures now so that you can show them to your friends and lament about the passing of another "icon".

(In case you are wondering, I like railroad history as much as the next guy. I spent a lot of time sitting in the 3rd floor crew dispatchers office at 31 E Georgia looking at that building at IU Interlocking and wondering about the local railroad history that passed before it. But business is business. If us railfans were running the business, the business would probably be broke.)

Lt._Dave

• Dispatcher
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2019, 08:27:06 AM »
To be honest, I was surprised that it has lasted to 2019, or at least standing.  I remember a very long time ago while working at the train store at Union Station, most us figuring it would be torn down before the 21st century got here.  Hopefully you have your pictures.