Author Topic: IU Tower Demolition Has Begun  (Read 5747 times)

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
Re: IU Tower Demolition Has Begun
« Reply #100 on: July 22, 2019, 12:09:47 AM »
One of the nice things about having the Towers around and have someone in them was that they could watch a train as it rolled by. They could watch it for any problems. So now that the Towers are all gone, after a Eastbound leaves Avon, Where is the first Defect Detector Located. Could that be East of Downtown Indianapolis at Lawrence Indiana. And what about Westbound Trains Leaving Avon. Where is the First Defect Detector Located for them. I have noticed on the L&I the Defect Detectors are located about every 20 Miles and they are from Indy South; MP 8.22 Stop 11 Road, Amity MP 24, Columbus around MP 41, Dudley Town At ST 250 Crossing MP 64 and Underwood MP 84. Those were put in after CSX upgraded the LIRC and Stop 11 the most recent.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 12:20:15 AM by trainmaster53 »

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #101 on: July 22, 2019, 12:56:41 AM »
First detector east of Avon is QS 8.  A mile east of the yard.

First detector west is at Danville, QS 19.  6 miles west of the yard.

Theyíre spaced about 15-20 miles apart.

In addition, they are all interconnected to each other.  Readings are compared, and if a bearing starts showing a spike in temp, even before it becomes a ďhot boxĒ, it gets flagged for inspection.

Can a Tower operator do that?

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
« Reply #102 on: July 22, 2019, 06:10:09 AM »
Because MOW canít foul a track without permission of the controlling station.
Csx must have different rules than ns when it comes to that.  Our MOW crews cross tracks all the time without permission, talking at crossings of course which would need to be installed here if that was the plan.  Sometimes guys are welding without track time as long as they have a spotter and itís a short job. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #103 on: July 22, 2019, 07:51:37 AM »
Csx must have different rules than ns when it comes to that.  Our MOW crews cross tracks all the time without permission, talking at crossings of course which would need to be installed here if that was the plan.  Sometimes guys are welding without track time as long as they have a spotter and itís a short job. 

Crossing tracks, and moving materials and equipment across live tracks are two different things. 

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #104 on: July 22, 2019, 01:25:57 PM »
Since you brought that up as to what Tower Operators can Do. How about a Little History. Tower Operators observed the Trains as they would Roll by the Towers. Tower Operators were a Second Pair of Eyes for the Conductors and Brakeman on the Rear of the Trains. Then the Railroads decided that Cabooses and Rear End Crews were No Longer Needed and Cut Cabooses, As you will know to Save Money. At that Point they also started to Close Towers and Operators were cut. Then they went Two Man Crews in Locomotives with Fred Or EOT on the Rear of the Train. Can Fred See the Train and tell you that there is A Hot Box on a Train. NOPE. And No Eyes on the Rear of long trains Either. So Technology has taken Over Not only our Railroads, But as many say our Country. We are to dependent on all of this, and No one has a Back Up System either.  Well when all of this Fails, Guess What Happens. NOT A THING WILL MOVE IN THIS COUNTRY. Trains or Planes will move Or Fly.  We will not be able to get Gas, Go to the Store, May not have Electricity, Cell Phones or anything. We will be Dead in the Water. So you ask what could Tower Operators Do. A Hell of a Lot and could keep Trains Moving. I know that you will disagree with what a lot of what I have just stated.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 01:59:18 PM by trainmaster53 »

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
« Reply #105 on: July 22, 2019, 03:47:20 PM »
Crossing tracks, and moving materials and equipment across live tracks are two different things.

True.  However, it still happens weekly up here.  Whether it be tandem axle trucks, heavy equipment, or semi carrying whatever, if itís at a crossing which would probably need to be put in at IU, no permission or authority is used.  Now, if itís working in a work zone not requiring track time, obviously they would need permission(block) to get across those tracks. 
Since you brought that up as to what Tower Operators can Do. How about a Little History. Tower Operators observed the Trains as they would Roll by the Towers. Tower Operators were a Second Pair of Eyes for the Conductors and Brakeman on the Rear of the Trains. Then the Railroads decided that Cabooses and Rear End Crews were No Longer Needed and Cut Cabooses, As you will know to Save Money. At that Point they also started to Close Towers and Operators were cut. Then they went Two Man Crews in Locomotives with Fred Or EOT on the Rear of the Train. Can Fred See the Train and tell you that there is A Hot Box on a Train. NOPE. And No Eyes on the Rear of long trains Either. So Technology has taken Over Not only our Railroads, But as many say our Country. We are to dependent on all of this, and No one has a Back Up System either.  Well when all of this Fails, Guess What Happens. NOT A THING WILL MOVE IN THIS COUNTRY. Trains or Planes will move Or Fly.  We will not be able to get Gas, Go to the Store, May not have Electricity, Cell Phones or anything. We will be Dead in the Water. So you ask what could Tower Operators Do. A Hell of a Lot and could keep Trains Moving. I know that you will disagree with what a lot of what I have just stated.

You are correct about technology taking over.  You answered your own question or someone elseís.  Detectors are spaced every 20 miles or so, radio transmission is much better, other train crews observe each otherís trains.  Thereís no need for towers because of the technology.  A hot box doesnít happen near as often as it once did which is because of technology.  Plus, the chance of it catching fire or becoming a dangerous situation is near nonexistent because of technology.  Dispatchers relay info now, throw all the switches, and bulletins are all at initial terminal.  With the length of trains these days a crew on the end would not be able to do much except help with something on the rear of the train.  Hot boxes donít smoke like they once did and the only time they do is if itís a brake issue and even then thereís little smoke.  Itís the smell that gives it away.  The yards are the same way.  Elkhart had 4-5 towers at one time.  Now they have two and could probably put everyone in one if it was big enough. 

Technology has taken many jobs away from all fields of work. 

SankyInbound

• Chief Dispatcher
  • Railroading: It's a way of life, more than a job.
« Reply #106 on: July 22, 2019, 05:23:19 PM »
A crossing over both mains was installed in late 2016 or early 2017.  I cannot remember the exact date.  Access to the middle of the triangle had to be acheived by means other than driving north along the Louisville line.  PTC installation required putting the new switch machine for the Meridian and Deleware wye switch on the west side of the tracks rather than on the east as the old air machine was.  So yes there is a crossing there, an asphalt one, that goes over the Amtrak lead and both mains.  This crossing allowed trucks and equipment access to the middle of the triangle as well as the tower.  These limited access crossings, on railroad property, are not uncommon at various interlockings and junctions.  See attached picture. 
"Don't find a fault, find a remedy."

CR Asst Chief Disp

• Fireman
« Reply #107 on: July 22, 2019, 07:01:08 PM »
Thereís a chance csx wasnít paying taxes on it, possibly. 

There was NO taxes on IU Tower. There been none for many years.
NYCSHS Life Time Member
PCRRHS Board  Member
NYC,P&E,PC,CR Asst Chief Disp (retired)
VP, Little Falls Railroad Museum, Sparta, WI
Curator, Mountain Valley Railroad Museum, Casper, WY

CR Asst Chief Disp

• Fireman
« Reply #108 on: July 22, 2019, 07:03:21 PM »
Not sure exactly. Last couple of days probably

They tore "MY" down on Thursday.
NYCSHS Life Time Member