Author Topic: CSX has a new customer  (Read 2383 times)

rrnut282

• Mogul
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
Re: CSX has a new customer
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2019, 11:32:09 AM »
As much as I agree with Bob about this glass move, I see the situation.

Bob: why can't they interchange the cars in Muncie?  For crying out loud L80 can spot the cars at the glass factory just a couple of hours later.

Reality:  The glass factory in Dunkirk has one track.  It goes into a shed and is set up for unloading sand.  No car dumper to unload the cullet.  So they have to use trailers and a bobcat runs into the back to unload the cullet.  They *might* be able to unload open-top cars outside the shed with a clam bucket crane, but that would most likely be slower than the bobcat. 
FYI, they have their own trackmobile to shuffle sand cars in/out of the unloading shed. 
rrnut2-8-2
(Mike)

scraphauler

• Tycoon
  • Oberfeldwebel Hans Scraphauler
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2019, 12:56:12 PM »
Debating woulda/shoulda/coulda does nothing but fill up the board.  Fact of the matter is Norfolk Southern's minimum rate to handle Cullet per their public tariff is $2888.00 per car.  So the question becomes can whomever is paying freight on this move truck it from a CSXT rail head cheaper than interchanging car to NS for rail direct. 

Can you find a cheaper through rate by interchanging at Buffalo, or Cleveland, or Pittsburgh?  Possibly.   But this freight payer would have to have someone on staff to run those scenarios or employ a service to do such.  CSXT surely isn't going to volunteer it cheaper to short haul themselves (nor should they).   I do this stuff daily for the customers of the railroads, transload facilities, and car fleets I represent. 

As a side note, CSXT has become fairly good to deal with - they will get aggressive for business and contrary to railfan lore, seem to have interest in single car business.  BNSF is by far easiest to deal with, and KCS is a close second.  CN, UP, and CSXT are all kinda there in the middle with CN and CSXT improving and UP slipping.  NS has niches where they are good, but overall they stink on ice and are running traffic away as fast as they can.  But they get a free pass for the Crayola Fleet).  And then there's CP.  The perennial lost ball in tall weeds.
The opinions, views, and incoherent ramblings presented here do not necessarily represent the view point of any company I work for or own,  any logical thinking being, or even me.

Freightrain

• Superintendent
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2019, 01:24:44 PM »
They probably don't need more than 2 trucks that's great 2 Trucks Muncie to Dunkirk better than 30 or so from Connecticut

rrnut282

• Mogul
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2019, 02:13:38 PM »
Debating woulda/shoulda/coulda does nothing but fill up the board. ...
Do you think this board would exist if there were no debating? ;)
rrnut2-8-2
(Mike)

Bob Durnell

• President
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2019, 03:44:19 PM »
Debating woulda/shoulda/coulda does nothing but fill up the board.  Fact of the matter is Norfolk Southern's minimum rate to handle Cullet per their public tariff is $2888.00 per car.  So the question becomes can whomever is paying freight on this move truck it from a CSXT rail head cheaper than interchanging car to NS for rail direct. 

Can you find a cheaper through rate by interchanging at Buffalo, or Cleveland, or Pittsburgh?  Possibly.   But this freight payer would have to have someone on staff to run those scenarios or employ a service to do such.  CSXT surely isn't going to volunteer it cheaper to short haul themselves (nor should they).   I do this stuff daily for the customers of the railroads, transload facilities, and car fleets I represent. 

As a side note, CSXT has become fairly good to deal with - they will get aggressive for business and contrary to railfan lore, seem to have interest in single car business.  BNSF is by far easiest to deal with, and KCS is a close second.  CN, UP, and CSXT are all kinda there in the middle with CN and CSXT improving and UP slipping.  NS has niches where they are good, but overall they stink on ice and are running traffic away as fast as they can.  But they get a free pass for the Crayola Fleet).  And then there's CP.  The perennial lost ball in tall weeds.

All of this sort of makes my point that if ONE railroad is difficult to make a deal with, the minute you have to introduce a second one, the wheels completely come off.  Look, I don't know all the details here, but IF CSX and NS can't figure out a way to make this an all rail move, then shame on whichever one (or both) is mucking it up.  I fully get competition between railroads. That in and of itself is a GOOD thing, but if it gets in the way of capturing more business for railroads and less for trucks, then the railroads don't deserve ANY of the business.  It's an interconnected network , and requires EVERYONE to see the bigger picture.