Author Topic: State to take larger share of South Shore funding, board control  (Read 972 times)

ScottFlood

• Chief Dispatcher
Assuming the new state budget is approved, Indiana will put $185 million and a $20 million contingency toward funding for the South Shore Line's West Lake and double tracking projects. That's on top of the $12 million annual state payment for these projects.

The General Assembly took the action because it looks like the Federal Transit Administration is expected to reduce the expected match for the project. They had money available because other funds were freed up thanks to proceeds from the Toll Road lease.

As part of the action, NICTD's board will be restructured from 11 locally selected members to four members selected by the governor from the counties served by CSSSB and the INDOT commissioner.

Story from the NW Indiana Times:
https://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/state-boosting-investment-in-south-shore-line-projects-by-more/article_636f3a1e-6c82-576e-a75d-eb326619c69e.html#_=_

ckpcpqq

• Chief Dispatcher
Re: State to take larger share of South Shore funding, board control
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 11:22:09 AM »
I have an uneasy feeling about this aspect:

In conjunction with the additional state funds, House Bill 1001 restructures the board of the Northern Indiana Commuter Transportation District (NICTD), which operates the South Shore Line, by effectively putting it entirely under the governor's authority.

The current 11-member board, with a majority of appointments made by the county councils and commissioners in Lake, Porter, LaPorte and St. Joseph counties, will shrink to a five-member board, with one elected official from each of the four counties being appointed by the governor, and the Indiana Department of Transportation commissioner serving as the board chairman.

The four local officials appointed by the governor must include two Republicans and two Democrats, according to the legislation.

DRLOCO

• Dispatcher
  • That's Real Nice!
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 03:03:37 PM »
Now that Indianapolis has a foot in the door, and has a, well, tepid (at best) view of public transit...I can't see this ending well for the NICTD...In my humble and negative opinion, the governor will appoint cronies that share his view that the budget must be cut, and eventually try to wrest the board control around that they sell out to a private contractor...
You know... spin off government operations for a true Free market economy and all...

Or am I reading too much into this?  Someone dissuade me...because I see this as a deal with the devil NICTD makes to get money now, and not realizing how much long term damage will be done by Indianapolis meddling in their OPS...

Storm clouds on the horizon???

Professional Locomotive Engineer and train nerd with most social skills.

Peoria Man

• Engineer
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 03:30:54 PM »
....that they sell out to a private contractor...

Maybe Iowa Pacific Holdings might like to give Indiana railroading another try...    :o

DRLOCO

• Dispatcher
  • That's Real Nice!
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 04:08:03 PM »
Maybe Iowa Pacific Holdings might like to give Indiana railroading another try...    :o

I'm sure that will work out juuuuuussssttt fine!   ;D
Professional Locomotive Engineer and train nerd with most social skills.

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 04:43:46 PM »
We all know what happens to most things when the government takes over or has a heavy hand in something.  The toll road is the most recent example.  Someone was quoted in the article saying he thinks the board needs to be shook up but he could also be a fan of said plan.  The good news is the 4 appointees are from the region and not all sitting in Indy. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dschro

• Conductor
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 05:50:21 PM »
I live in Indy, but am happily married to a regionite for the last 42 years.  I can't count the number of trips from Hammond to Chicago on the ol CSS&SB I've made over the years.  It has always gotten me where I wanted to go with much less fuss and cost than driving to Chicago, if it ain't broke, why "fix" it!!

crblue

• Dispatcher
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 06:38:37 PM »
Since 4 of the 5 appointees have to come from the region and there's a minimum of 2 Democrats and 2 Republicans, the governor will have some influence, but I don't foresee complete control.

How many cronies does the current governor have in the region? How many are Democrats? Oh, wait, that's a trick question.

TomB

• Dispatcher
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2019, 08:30:07 AM »
Looks like local representatives don't like this arrangement either.

https://www.southbendtribune.com/news/indiana/south-shore-board-restructured-in-last-minute-bill-amendment/article_66289e5c-0ba4-51db-8dc8-b59601f4f07f.html

And no mention of fund to reroute the alignment of the South Shore into the airport in South Bend from the west or into downtown.  I wonder if the next South Bend mayor will also advocate for a downtown routing now that Buttigieg is not running for reelection.

crblue

• Dispatcher
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2019, 12:00:57 PM »
Looks like local representatives don't like this arrangement either.
Do they want the state's $185 million or do they want local control? Grant money always has strings attached. As a state taxpayer, I'm OK with the state having a say in how the money is spent.

sfunk6363

• Fireman
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2019, 07:42:45 PM »
Do they want the state's $185 million or do they want local control? Grant money always has strings attached. As a state taxpayer, I'm OK with the state having a say in how the money is spent.
So the state comes in and takes over this project and puts this in the budget at a lot more cost to the state and taxpayers than to fund amtrak

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2019, 07:53:55 PM »
So the state comes in and takes over this project and puts this in the budget at a lot more cost to the state and taxpayers than to fund amtrak

I donít have the numbers off the top of my head but thereís a lot more ridership on the south shore than Amtrak.  I donít even think itís close.  I also want to say they average 8-9 million a year in revenue.

sfunk6363

• Fireman
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2019, 09:05:58 PM »
I donít have the numbers off the top of my head but thereís a lot more ridership on the south shore than Amtrak.  I donít even think itís close.  I also want to say they average 8-9 million a year in revenue.

Ok but does the state give south shore any money right now or is south shore running on there own without help from the state

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2019, 10:03:24 PM »
Ok but does the state give south shore any money right now or is south shore running on there own without help from the state

That I donít know. 

sfunk6363

• Fireman
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2019, 10:07:37 PM »

That I donít know. 

Heres another question sevetsl communities along yhe line are helping pay for the hoosier state do any of the communities on the south shore help pay for them to run

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2019, 10:25:48 PM »

Heres another question sevetsl communities along yhe line are helping pay for the hoosier state do any of the communities on the south shore help pay for them to run

By riding the train, yes.  I would guess that the counties they run through pay into it but Iím not sure on that either.  With over 3 million riders a year Iím guessing the tickets sales pays for most. 

The communities along the Amtrak line pitch in because it helps offset what the state pays.  That line for Amtrak is a money pit.

spuwho

• Brakeman
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2019, 03:13:57 PM »
By riding the train, yes.  I would guess that the counties they run through pay into it but Iím not sure on that either.  With over 3 million riders a year Iím guessing the tickets sales pays for most. 

The communities along the Amtrak line pitch in because it helps offset what the state pays.  That line for Amtrak is a money pit.

Perhaps everyone should stop believing that transit to and from Indiana into Chicago is a strictly Indiana thing.  Make it a bi-state deal so that it improves their legislative influence and regional planning. Though I can't see Chicago ceding much more control as it would dilute their say.