Author Topic: NS South Bend Aggregate Operation  (Read 1889 times)

Dan Lawecki

• Fireman
NS South Bend Aggregate Operation
« on: April 11, 2019, 12:27:00 PM »
Has anyone heard anything about the start up date for the aggregate trans-loading operation in South Bend?  Since the day several of us visited the property last Fall, there has been additional work completed onsite.  An I-beam frame has been constructed over the top of the reinforced concrete dump pit, supporting what was labeled as a "car shaker".  A conveyor system extends south from the pit, then turns east, running horizontally for a couple of hundred yards to several truck loading stations.

The three tracks at the site are still jammed with empty Trinity Industries hoppers, all lettered REBX.  Another cut of empty hoppers occupies one of the tracks in the old NJI&I South Yard, further to the west.

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
Re: NS South Bend Aggregate Operation
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 12:58:49 PM »
Nothing yet.  Occasionally over the last few months a car or two has been placed back there from the b55 job.  It looked pretty packed back there last time I went by.  Iíd imagine they should start soon with the construction season beginning.  Reith Riley usually gets their huge aggregate order about this time of the year as well. 

Havenít heard anything about peru crews getting qualified up to here so thatíll take a few weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crfan59

• Dispatcher
  • CP freight to Lousiville on CSX' Hoosier sub.
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 07:23:34 PM »
Excuse my ignorance on the above mentioned topic but is this referring to the quarry operation around Richvalley that would utilize the Marion branch to go north with stone?

crfan
One way, Your way, My way, Our way, Right way, Wrong way, Conway, Conrail !

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 07:41:32 PM »
Excuse my ignorance on the above mentioned topic but is this referring to the quarry operation around Richvalley that would utilize the Marion branch to go north with stone?

crfan
I donít know where it is coming from but I know it will be utiling the Marion branch and ns towards south bend.  Not sure where it goes or comes from past Peru

Bob Durnell

• President
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2019, 01:38:37 PM »
I heard from a third party (don't know how reliable) that there was some sort of issue with the original plan for the siding into the quarry from main line, and that they kind of had to go back and start over.  Don't know how valid that is, take it for what you paid for it.

Conrail7659

• Brakeman
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2019, 10:12:08 PM »
To maximizing efficiency for Norfolk Southern and the quarry operator, a track plan was developed that allows three unit trains to be stored at the quarry site at any moment. This design/development was complicated due to the varied topography, floodway, road, three streams/river, 10 degree curves and the desire to avoid a grade crossing.  The permitting to build a 3,200' levee took 16 months alone.

Over three miles of track has been built at the quarry and the first train will be loaded within a month. The site will initially serve South Bend and Kalamazoo on the Grand Elk.

gtw

• Brakeman
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2019, 10:34:10 PM »
The site in Kalamazoo looks like its all ready to go. It is east of Botsford Yd. (GDLK) along the Amtrak Michigan Line.  I understand the trains to Kalamazoo via the GDLK will have DPU power on them.

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2019, 09:00:56 AM »
The site in Kalamazoo looks like its all ready to go. It is east of Botsford Yd. (GDLK) along the Amtrak Michigan Line.  I understand the trains to Kalamazoo via the GDLK will have DPU power on them.
I wonder if there will be dedicated power assigned to this train or if gdlk will be using whatever ns has available? 

gtw

• Brakeman
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2019, 12:21:19 PM »
I was told NS power to run thru on the GDLK with DPU on the back.

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2019, 12:35:58 PM »
I was told NS power to run thru on the GDLK with DPU on the back.
Iíll be interested in how they accomplish this ordeal.  Gdlk isnít allowed past 429 and peru crews have rights for this train all the way to south bend.  Either they will need to time the inbound with an outbound or an Elkhart crew is going to have to bring a loaded train to Elkhart.   Will they dpu in south bend or wait until it shows up to Elkhart?  It will be interesting

Dan Lawecki

• Fireman
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2019, 12:51:46 PM »
As of the noon hour today, all of the empty hoppers have been gathered up from the three tracks at the transload area, and have been assembled into a train.  A pair of NS Dash 9-44CW locomotives are on the point of the train, which currently parked on the old Kankakee Belt adjacent to the (abandoned?) NS yard office at Olivers Yard.

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2019, 01:24:37 PM »
As of the noon hour today, all of the empty hoppers have been gathered up from the three tracks at the transload area, and have been assembled into a train.  A pair of NS Dash 9-44CW locomotives are on the point of the train, which currently parked on the old Kankakee Belt adjacent to the (abandoned?) NS yard office at Olivers Yard.
Train is now sitting in Elkhart.  It was put together this morning.

Rob

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2019, 10:15:23 PM »
hearing it is now arriving at Rich Valley around 10 pm.
Rob

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2019, 10:23:00 PM »
hearing it is now arriving at Rich Valley around 10 pm.
Where is rich valley from the city of Peru?

arobb00

• Superintendent
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2019, 10:42:29 PM »

I bet that is the place; on Google Maps there was a new spur being constructed into the quarry there; about 2600' long, ending at a small creek (Carlin Branch, which it appears they might have been preparing to bridge over).  Switch was not in place at the time the satellite image was taken, but the pic was likely taken a few months ago. 

Kim_Heusel

• Superintendent
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2019, 06:43:21 AM »

https://goo.gl/maps/2BpfyZsqv9ht91N57

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
NS South Bend Aggregate Operation
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2019, 07:50:06 AM »
Thatís not too far.  They made decent time getting down there then.  I was thinking that was just the name of the company and not an actual town/city

Marion Branch Modeler

• Fireman
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2019, 10:06:23 PM »
Saw a train with REBX hoppers heading down the Marion branch at lunch today. New stone train?

Jeff Hall

Dan Lawecki

• Fireman
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2019, 07:52:07 AM »
Yes, that was the stone train returning to the quarry.  The empty train departed Olivers Yard in South Bend at about 9:45 yesterday morning.  Motive power was a pair of very clean, very shiny SD70MACs.  There were 70+ hoppers in the consist.

Bob Durnell

• President
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2019, 06:30:30 PM »
Do we have any sense of what kind of schedule these trains will be on?  I would LOVE to film and photograph a loaded northbound train.