Author Topic: Congress' letter to Amtrak President Richard Anderson  (Read 2418 times)

danielm75

• Fireman
Congress' letter to Amtrak President Richard Anderson
« on: March 02, 2019, 01:56:41 PM »
I don't know if this has been posted anywhere else on here, but here's a link to the letter that Congress has written to Amtrak President Richard Anderson regarding his plans to redo Amtrak routes, and eliminating the long-distance trains:

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/7c8e6b_eee64e5f666340a986eb501785146e9f.pdf?fbclid=IwAR1mM5IMKoaFRRaAVQaa9jkP8ardl5IxXhj1g-5Mia9xywHEPbvqAmdLJAM

Webnauseum

• Fireman
Re: Congress' letter to Amtrak President Richard Anderson
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 05:39:14 PM »
Perhaps this is the opportunity that Anderson has been waiting for, an invited opportunity to leverage sufficient monies to operate the network properly? And he'll correctly be able to say "well,  you asked me".

DRLOCO

• Dispatcher
  • That's Real Nice!
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 08:24:14 PM »
For the local connection, Andre Carson D Rep Indianapolis is a signatory to this letter to Amtrak.
Professional Locomotive Engineer and train nerd with most social skills.

Webnauseum

• Fireman
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 12:05:29 PM »
Looking at the entire picture,  The people running Amtrak have never been given the freedom and the funding to do the job right. IT would be interesting if all of the commotion that Anderson has managed to stir up has been part of a plan to get congress "on board" with him.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 03:14:45 PM by Webnauseum »

DRLOCO

• Dispatcher
  • That's Real Nice!
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2019, 07:30:40 PM »
Amtrak will never be that.  Anderson isn't a railroader, he's an airline industry guy.  You can't make amtrak act like an airline, unless you want to subsidize it to the level that airlines are!
So far he's doing the easy stuff- things that airlines did long ago- cutting out deluxe meals, cutting back on reservation desks and other "amenities" and the big one, OUTSOURCING.  Those are things to quickly bring up the bottom line.
I hope I'm wrong, but I seriously doubt he wants to rattle all these cages just to get congress to give him what he wants.  He works for them, they don't work for him...and he's not at a private airline, he's at a quasi-public company, and he should act as such.
Professional Locomotive Engineer and train nerd with most social skills.

CSX2605

• Mogul
  • Remember the Semaphores!
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 06:53:58 AM »

So far he's doing the easy stuff- things that airlines did long ago- cutting out deluxe meals, cutting back on reservation desks and other "amenities".
Kind of like farming. Working on a $200,000 tractor and dad flips out because I used an extra plastic zip tie on a wire harness. That's it, chapter 11 & call the auctioneer, farm's done for!  ;D

Well said DRLOCO!

Webnauseum

• Fireman
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2019, 06:45:01 PM »

I hope I'm wrong, but I seriously doubt he wants to rattle all these cages just to get congress to give him what he wants.

I just don't think that he's as dumb as he would have top be to be doing the things that  he's doing, unless he's got an ulterior motive. I could be wrong, but I hope not.

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2019, 10:07:14 PM »
You can order anything in the world at our fingertips.

In this day and age, who walks into a train station or airport and buys a ticket?  I can see dropping ticket counters.

danielm75

• Fireman
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2019, 03:28:35 PM »
Here is an article on the Rail Passengers Association's website:

https://www.railpassengers.org/happening-now/news/blog/remember-national-or-nothing/

(RPA is also on Facebook.)

MSchwiebert

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2019, 08:08:44 PM »
It'd be nice to see some numbers to either support or not support the proposal.  For example,  how many people ride the long distance trains "all the way through" from end point to end point, as well as those that connected from one LD train to another. 
Speaking personally,  I'd gladly trade off (for example) The Lakeshore Limited for say 3 Chicago-Buffalo and 3 Buffalo-NYC trains in each direction. Take the first train out of Chicago, get to Buffalo, have a nice lunch somewhere etc. and take the 2nd or 3rd train on into the city.   One of the advantages from Amtrak's perspective has to be better equipment utilization (with leadership being from the airline industry, I'm sure seeing how inefficiently Amtrak uses & turns its consists has to be aggravating to say the least) which should mean more trains with the same amount of equipment (or making it easier to justify new equipment on the basis of utilization).

Kim_Heusel

• Superintendent
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2019, 11:23:06 PM »
It'd be nice to see some numbers to either support or not support the proposal.  For example,  how many people ride the long distance trains "all the way through" from end point to end point, as well as those that connected from one LD train to another. 
Speaking personally,  I'd gladly trade off (for example) The Lakeshore Limited for say 3 Chicago-Buffalo and 3 Buffalo-NYC trains in each direction. Take the first train out of Chicago, get to Buffalo, have a nice lunch somewhere etc. and take the 2nd or 3rd train on into the city.   One of the advantages from Amtrak's perspective has to be better equipment utilization (with leadership being from the airline industry, I'm sure seeing how inefficiently Amtrak uses & turns its consists has to be aggravating to say the least) which should mean more trains with the same amount of equipment (or making it easier to justify new equipment on the basis of utilization).

There are 4 trains between Buffalo and NYC in each direction now, including the Lake Shore.

Kim Heusel

MSchwiebert

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2019, 11:22:06 AM »
A little brain-lock on my part,  thanks.   

There are 4 trains between Buffalo and NYC in each direction now, including the Lake Shore.

Kim Heusel

IndyHog

• Superintendent
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2019, 11:44:43 AM »
on a sad note ex-Amtrak president Joe Boardman passed away today. He was a vocal critic of Anderson.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 12:21:27 PM by IndyHog »
Meet the new boss, he's the same as the old boss......wait a minute, He's much worse

danielm75

• Fireman
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2019, 12:27:10 PM »
on a sad note ex-Amtrak president Joe Boardman passed away today. He was a vocal critic of Anderson.

May he rest in peace.

Kim_Heusel

• Superintendent
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2019, 02:36:11 PM »
A little brain-lock on my part,  thanks.

Maybe add at least one more-Chicago Buffalo train that would have better times across northern Indiana and Ohio. Unfortunately, all trains leaving Buffalo do so early in the day, which would make scheduling a connection from a Chicago-Buffalo train difficult.

Kim Heusel

rrnut282

• Mogul
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2019, 10:44:07 AM »
You can order anything in the world at our fingertips.

In this day and age, who walks into a train station or airport and buys a ticket?  I can see dropping ticket counters.
Well, if you want a ticket you can hold in your hand from the ticket counter, there is a FEE for that. 
rrnut2-8-2
(Mike)

IndyHog

• Superintendent
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2019, 11:01:14 AM »
Quite often you walk into an airport or train station and check your bags. Also not everyone is computer literate. Much can be done on the internet but I believe there is still a need for Ticket Agents. They do much more than sell tickets.
Meet the new boss, he's the same as the old boss......wait a minute, He's much worse

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2019, 12:10:44 PM »
Quite often you walk into an airport or train station and check your bags. Also not everyone is computer literate. Much can be done on the internet but I believe there is still a need for Ticket Agents. They do much more than sell tickets.
I know plenty of people who still have flip phones and a few who still donít own a computer. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2019, 01:09:50 PM »
I know plenty of people who still have flip phones and a few who still donít own a computer. 

And those people are in an ever decreasing minority.

So a company should be expected to keep paying employees when the vast majority of transactions arenít even taking place at a ticket counter?

IndyHog

• Superintendent
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2019, 01:40:07 PM »
A company whose sole purpose is to provide a service has a duty to do so. That said, Ticket Agents do more than sell tickets.