Author Topic: NS derailment  (Read 1089 times)

MP173

• Fireman
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
NS derailment
« on: February 25, 2019, 09:19:06 AM »
Sounds like there was a derailment at MP445 - Tulip Road today....one car only.

No details, just scanner chatter.

Ed

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
Re: NS derailment
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 09:04:54 AM »
60c and one axle derailed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MP173

• Fireman
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 10:13:35 AM »
60C seems to be a very regular movement....there was one this morning also.

What is in those gons?  Must be some sort of steel product, but I cannot see contents even with the angle of Chesterton camera.

Ed

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
NS derailment
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 12:40:48 PM »
60C seems to be a very regular movement....there was one this morning also.

What is in those gons?  Must be some sort of steel product, but I cannot see contents even with the angle of Chesterton camera.

Ed
Steel slabs.  Two per car.

Itís run just about daily along with 61c coming back empty.  I believe it goes somewhere down south like Alabama but donít quote me on that. 

CIOR_CO

• Dispatcher
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 12:35:10 PM »
Thereís 6 gon unit trains running back n forth between Arcellor Mittal in East Chicago and Calvert Alabama.  60C loads south and 61C mtys north.  Thyssen Krupp was the original builder of plant at over $5 billion dollars and I got to witness parts of it being built.  They sold it to Arcellor Mittal/Sumitomo around 2013 or so.  Too bad the defect detectors get us a fair amount of times for imbalanced loads or excessive wheel impact (flat spots).  Glad to have the trains though!
CIOR Conductor

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 07:18:35 PM »
Thereís 6 gon unit trains running back n forth between Arcellor Mittal in East Chicago and Calvert Alabama.  60C loads south and 61C mtys north.  Thyssen Krupp was the original builder of plant at over $5 billion dollars and I got to witness parts of it being built.  They sold it to Arcellor Mittal/Sumitomo around 2013 or so.  Too bad the defect detectors get us a fair amount of times for imbalanced loads or excessive wheel impact (flat spots).  Glad to have the trains though!

I agree.  I donít see what would be a better option but the slabs and those gone donít fit well.  Flat cars with heavy metal straps might be better but those things are thick and heavy. 

Speaking of impact detectors, thatís why this derailment was minimal.  They slowed down for the impact detector because people seem to think the slower you go the less impact a wheel has on the detector but that is not true at all.  15 or 60 the impact is still the same reading.  A car had a drawbar and caught the crossing at a slow speed.  Much faster and it would have been worse. 

lstarnes80

• Brakeman
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 08:58:03 PM »
CSX runs a K596 that hauls steel slabs using flat cars with upright supports on both sides and a sort of bulk head on each end to keep the loads from shifting. See below...

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 09:47:34 PM »
Those would help keep the load more centered for sure

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2019, 07:22:44 PM »
Csx has ran those for years.  They would roll thru Cincy still so hot if you opened the cab window you could feel the heat.