Author Topic: Feds extend deadline on New Albany-Bedford trail  (Read 2001 times)

ScottFlood

• Chief Dispatcher
Feds extend deadline on New Albany-Bedford trail
« on: February 15, 2019, 10:24:53 AM »
The STB and CSX have given New Albany more time to buy the ex-Monon corridor from the city to Bedford and convert it to a trail.

Story from Inside Indiana Business:
http://www.insideindianabusiness.com/story/39967976/rails-to-trails-project-deadline-extended

xgap

• President

spuwho

• Brakeman
Re: Feds extend deadline on New Albany-Bedford trail
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 11:05:28 PM »
I guess that block signal in Mitchell will stay red for another year while they work it out.  It's hasn't changed in 5 years.  All of the block signals north of the Pillsbury plant in New Albany are off.  The crossing signals are still powered all the way to Bedford though most of them look like they are barely standing up.

I remember that block signal in Roachdale sat in yellow for almost 3 or 4 years before they finally had it disconnected.

sfunk6363

• Fireman
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 11:45:26 PM »

I guess that block signal in Mitchell will stay red for another year while they work it out.  It's hasn't changed in 5 years.  All of the block signals north of the Pillsbury plant in New Albany are off.  The crossing signals are still powered all the way to Bedford though most of them look like they are barely standing up.

I remember that block signal in Roachdale sat in yellow for almost 3 or 4 years before they finally had it disconnected.

Is there any chance of the rsils to be saved at this time

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk

DiscoverJustin

• Fireman
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2019, 06:26:34 PM »
Thereís still signals lit south of the Pillsbury plant.

spuwho

• Brakeman
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2019, 10:20:17 PM »

Is there any chance of the rsils to be saved at this time

Doubt it. CSX wants it gone. They don't care if it becomes a trail if they get their dough. But as a functioning railroad?  Not a chance.

VGR

• Dispatcher
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2019, 07:47:52 PM »
A few recent pictures from Bedford.
1. Ist looking north on the 1st crossing in town, south side
2. Looking east on the old MILW
3. Indiana steel siding
4. West side of the MILW wye

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2019, 09:32:54 PM »
Indiana steel didnít generate enough business to keep rail operating to them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sfunk6363

• Fireman
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2019, 02:07:56 AM »
Doubt it. CSX wants it gone. They don't care if it becomes a trail if they get their dough. But as a functioning railroad?  Not a chance.
Why would csx care if this section of the monon gets sold or not as long ad they get there money the only interchange point is with csx at mitchell unless you go to new albany and interchange with ns not much traffic would be generated on this line as much of the industries have left might get a lot of grain traffic but would have to put rails bank in at most of the places maybe a factory or two if rail service reinstated

IN1312

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2019, 11:44:05 PM »
Why would csx care if this section of the monon gets sold or not as long ad they get there money the only interchange point is with csx at mitchell unless you go to new albany and interchange with ns not much traffic would be generated on this line as much of the industries have left might get a lot of grain traffic but would have to put rails bank in at most of the places maybe a factory or two if rail service reinstated

There isn't a logical money explanation for it, but CSX allegedly wants this line gone and torn up with the same fervor that Conrail wanted the Pensy torn out and gone between Limedale and Terre Haute, even after a shortline picked it up.

sfunk6363

• Fireman
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2019, 05:38:20 PM »
There isn't a logical money explanation for it, but CSX allegedly wants this line gone and torn up with the same fervor that Conrail wanted the Pensy torn out and gone between Limedale and Terre Haute, even after a shortline picked it up.
Has there every been a casewhere the rails have been pulled converted to a trail and thenhave the rails put back in service

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2019, 06:38:57 PM »
Someplace around Pittsburgh just a year or so back.  It was on a coal line I believe

arobb00

• Superintendent
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2019, 07:44:40 PM »
Someplace around Pittsburgh just a year or so back.  It was on a coal line I believe

Might be referring to RJ Corman reactivating an old Conrail line that was railbanked/trailed:
https://www.stb.gov/decisions/readingroom.nsf/fc695db5bc7ebe2c852572b80040c45f/b49c2df22d487a6485257a050047fd2b?OpenDocument

I could swear I'd read of a handful of others but dug this up after a quick search.

sfunk6363

• Fireman
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2019, 10:04:27 PM »
Might be referring to RJ Corman reactivating an old Conrail line that was railbanked/trailed:
https://www.stb.gov/decisions/readingroom.nsf/fc695db5bc7ebe2c852572b80040c45f/b49c2df22d487a6485257a050047fd2b?OpenDocument

I could swear I'd read of a handful of others but dug this up after a quick search.
So maybe thr old monon line might be back someday if it is rippef up

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2019, 02:14:15 AM »
So maybe thr old monon line might be back someday if it is rippef up

Short of some kind of customer showing up that generates thousands of cars a year, it wonít be back.

The line has been pretty much doomed since it was built.  Really doomed when L&N got the Monon and not the Southern.

IN1312

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2019, 02:26:46 PM »
Short of some kind of customer showing up that generates thousands of cars a year, it wonít be back.

The line has been pretty much doomed since it was built.  Really doomed when L&N got the Monon and not the Southern.

Here's a fun hypothetical: if Southern had gotten the Monon, which alignment would they have kept, Salem or French Lick?

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2019, 04:41:01 PM »

Seems to be more warmth to the stove abiut a shipper on the south end, but that isnt the bulk of it. 

sfunk6363

• Fireman
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2019, 05:25:36 PM »

Seems to be more warmth to the stove abiut a shipper on the south end, but that isnt the bulk of it.

Maybe thats why ive seen so much movementvon the monon lately

sfunk6363

• Fireman
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2019, 05:29:41 PM »
Here's a fun hypothetical: if Southern had gotten the Monon, which alignment would they have kept, Salem or French Lick?
Maybe both since salem had several customets at one time and then they would hsve the wye at orleans to turn a yrain if needed alsp bordon snd pekin had at least one customer on the line

sfunk6363

• Fireman
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2019, 07:54:51 PM »

Maybe both since salem had several customets at one time and then they would hsve the wye at orleans to turn a yrain if needed alsp bordon snd pekin had at least one customer on the line

Anynody know where the rail to trail status is on the monon still seeing a lot of activity on the line by csx people dont know who or what they may be doing but they are there from time to time

spuwho

• Brakeman
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2019, 08:53:18 AM »
Indiana steel didnít generate enough business to keep rail operating to them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With CSX its not always about how much business an online customer can generate.

I was chatting with a retired CSX dispatcher who used to work out of Mitchell and he said US Gypsum in Shoals was complaining about neglectful service as far back as the 70's. Said he used to have to call the division manager to get his head out of his (you know what) to get a load switched in and out.  The managers up in Chicago would switch in HC loads down through to Kentucky even though he had placed a block on HC through downtown Evansville. So the movement had to stop at the yard north of Evansville so they could pull the HC's off and then attach them to a train going back north to Terre Haute, so they could be switched back in with an eastbound.

He said it was like this almost every week of the year where there was some snafu, not paying attention or just downright indifference to service levels.  The fact that *any* service still exists is a miracle.

sfunk6363

• Fireman
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2019, 01:12:26 PM »

With CSX its not always about how much business an online customer can generate.

I was chatting with a retired CSX dispatcher who used to work out of Mitchell and he said US Gypsum in Shoals was complaining about neglectful service as far back as the 70's. Said he used to have to call the division manager to get his head out of his (you know what) to get a load switched in and out.  The managers up in Chicago would switch in HC loads down through to Kentucky even though he had placed a block on HC through downtown Evansville. So the movement had to stop at the yard north of Evansville so they could pull the HC's off and then attach them to a train going back north to Terre Haute, so they could be switched back in with an eastbound.

He said it was like this almost every week of the year where there was some snafu, not paying attention or just downright indifference to service levels.  The fact that *any* service still exists is a miracle.

They are still slow they came into mitchell two weks ago with one load for us gypsum they were supposed to take it the next morning but were told to go back east and didnt deliver it until the next week and they havent been baxk down to get that car yet

monon_man

• Fireman
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2019, 08:55:22 AM »
Just got word yesterday distillery @ old Pillsbury site will be getting service by end of year.