Author Topic: NS Still Running  (Read 1475 times)

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
NS Still Running
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2019, 07:32:38 AM »
minneSOta.
I bet sub zero temps were normal for you then.  This was definitely the coldest Iíve ever worked in but Iíll say it wasnít terrible.  Dress appropriately and stay hydrated with water and warm liquids it was fine.  Being able to bounce in and out of the weather helped too.  Donít know if Iíd have the same thought if I was a maintainer though.  They definitely earned their keep this week. I think the coldest it got here was -22 but I havenít checked the news lately.  Definitely set the record for coldest high for the day. It was -14 according to my phone at one time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
Re: NS Still Running
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2019, 07:49:54 AM »
The governor of Kentucky recently made some off-hand comments about people getting too soft when it comes to winter weather. His comment caused NBC's resident weather guesser and intergalactic alien (see Men In Black) to call the governor a nit-wit...which may be true.

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/427879-al-roker-slams-nitwit-kentucky-governor-for-criticizing-school-closures-in-low

That said, just about any agency that deals with people having to be out in the cold seems to be erring on the side of caution these days. We can't have little Johnny standing on the corner waiting for the school bus in sub-zero temperatures because he may not be smart enough to keep his coat zipped and his gloves on...assuming that his parents were smart enough to send him out the door with them. As a result, school superintendents seems to close schools more often than they did "back in my day" when I walked 9 tenths of a mile to school (if I had been a mile away, I could have ridden the bus) in freezing weather and a foot of snow.

I work in the commercial construction business and safety is A Big Deal. We are continually reminded that if we don't think we can do a job safely, we have the right to "stop work". So, applying that logic to the railroad, if a conductor has to walk a train in freezing weather and doesn't think he can do it safely, can he "stop work". It seems that the answer is generally "no" because the dispatcher or trainmaster will generally take the position that the conductor should have been smart enough to dress for the weather.

I don't envy you professional railroaders who have to deal with cold weather. I have memories of Conrail trying to get grain trains out of Logansport during the winter of 1976-77. I was a new clerk and very wet behind the ears. That was the first time I ever heard about the car department's "snifter" that they coupled into the train line so they could pour in alcohol to dry out the air. Even with all the effort, one of those trains took about 12 hours to get out of the yard and up the hill at the east end of Yard A.
Interesting you mention the alcohol.  I just had a conversation with my dad who was working in Avon during the 70ís to early 80ís through those harsh winters.  He was telling me about a train that was having trouble getting out of Hawthorne.  Him and a machinist along with two car department guys were sent over there.  Come to find out only one of three engines didnít have frozen main air lines and the cars were pretty much froze too.  Long story short, 10 hours and 175 gallons of alcohol later they had air to the rear end.  You canít run alcohol through those compressors so bypassing them sounded like fun and the crap they blew out was an interesting goo of probably oil, alcohol, and water. 

IndyHog

• Superintendent
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2019, 09:25:16 AM »
Been on trains where they used alcohol too. Sat 12 hr and never turned a wheel. Do believe alcohol in the trainline is illegal now.
Meet the new boss, he's the same as the old boss......wait a minute, He's much worse

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2019, 09:46:49 AM »
Been on trains where they used alcohol too. Sat 12 hr and never turned a wheel. Do believe alcohol in the trainline is illegal now.

Not sure if itís illegal?  At the least it is Just highly frowned upon because it dries out the seals and causes bigger leaks down the road.

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2019, 09:55:48 AM »
I know ns quit using alcohol a while back.  They donít use anything now.  Let Mother Nature do the work is a what I was told. 

ventrue

• Fireman
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2019, 11:54:39 PM »
I bet sub zero temps were normal for you then.  This was definitely the coldest Iíve ever worked in but Iíll say it wasnít terrible.  Dress appropriately and stay hydrated with water and warm liquids it was fine.  Being able to bounce in and out of the weather helped too.  Donít know if Iíd have the same thought if I was a maintainer though.  They definitely earned their keep this week. I think the coldest it got here was -22 but I havenít checked the news lately.  Definitely set the record for coldest high for the day. It was -14 according to my phone at one time.

Yeah, I'd say below zero was normal.  I can remember periods of time like a week or more and it doesn't get above zero.  My story of getting hot at 30 below I remember just because I had to work in it.  There very well could have been weather that was colder that I don't recall because I was riding in the nice, warm cab except for short jaunts to heated buildings or vehicles.  In later years I became an engineer of sorts and working the yard just had to endure short bits going from cab to cab or to building.

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2019, 02:01:33 PM »
Rick:

Perhaps you can answer this....has 26W (Chicago to Pittsburgh UPS train) been annulled or cancelled?  I havent seen it since Christmas.

About that time, the makeup of 24M seemed to grow...did NS perhaps combine the two trains?

Thanks,
Ed
Just found out that 26w is only run during peak season.  Thatís one of ns hottest trains.  Amtrak gets out if the way for it.  Lot of amazon, ups, etc... that is highest priority.