Author Topic: Toll road increase truck tolls by 35%  (Read 432 times)

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
Toll road increase truck tolls by 35%
« on: January 26, 2019, 12:45:18 PM »
Apparently the governor agreed to allow a 35% increase in truck tolls.  Supposedly this will bring in 1 billion dollars to the state and he wants to spend 90 million on bike trails???  WTH for?  Iíve driven over much of Indiana in the last few years and Iíd say that 90 million would be better served to bridge and road upgrades.  I know 90 million wonít improve a ton of whatís needed but itís a start.  I donít get the whole bike trail issue either.  Just more government funded projects that bring in zero return for investment.  It would be one thing if they brought in thousands of people and they in turned spent  hundreds of thousands each year but thatís not happening. So basically they canít manage the money they currently receive so they are going to hit the trucking industry which in turn will cost us more money in the long run. On top of that, the toll road has gone to hell in a hand basket since the state quit controlling it.  It was one of the few things the state controlled that actually was well maintained. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mononradio

• Conductor
Toll road increase truck tolls by 35%
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 01:04:45 PM »
Actually going to use most of the $ to finish I-69, the jobs-exporting-highway to Mexico.

doublestacks

• Mogul
Re: Toll road increase truck tolls by 35%
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 08:34:34 PM »
Apparently the governor agreed to allow a 35% increase in truck tolls.  Supposedly this will bring in 1 billion dollars to the state and he wants to spend 90 million on bike trails???  WTH for?  Iíve driven over much of Indiana in the last few years and Iíd say that 90 million would be better served to bridge and road upgrades.  I know 90 million wonít improve a ton of whatís needed but itís a start.  I donít get the whole bike trail issue either.  Just more government funded projects that bring in zero return for investment.  It would be one thing if they brought in thousands of people and they in turned spent  hundreds of thousands each year but thatís not happening. So basically they canít manage the money they currently receive so they are going to hit the trucking industry which in turn will cost us more money in the long run. On top of that, the toll road has gone to hell in a hand basket since the state quit controlling it.  It was one of the few things the state controlled that actually was well maintained. 

its a quality of life thing. people enjoy these liner parks that take them places. these are safe places for kids to skateboard, and learn to ride a bike. there was one instance where a man going through cancer treatments was finally able to get back out and walk, ended up out on the trail that connected to his neighborhood. IIRC he wasnt walking very well and it served as part of his rehab. he didnt have to deal with the hastle of going for a car ride to enjoy nature, or dealing with a boring, sunbeat walk in a subdivision after he's been getting chemo. zero return on investment? did you know some work places have health insurance that charge you extra if you dont meet physical requirements, like being too fat? just because you dont see it does not mean trails do not have economic benefit. weather you believe it or not, people utilize trails as a method of transportation already despite their extreme lack of connectivity. the hard core bicyclist that we are all cussing for riding on a 2 lane road that he has no business being on, likely one of these trails was part of his commute. on new years day i was cutting up some windfall on the trail, and encountered a man that was riding his trike to the chipoltle in avon. dont ask me about justifying time but the point is he utilized the to get there. to spend money at a business. if you ask me its a good way to burn off some of that food.

as a B&O trails board member, i'll say we are bidding on a piece of this 90 million dollar grant. which is getting distributed all over the state. this grant is primarily going toward visionary trails. if we can get money from this grant there will be quite an extension of pavement on both ends. i wont say how far west we're going right now but it will bring the trail .6 miles into marion county. state money like this is much needed. in my time serving as a board member ive noticed alot of people that use these trails, and live next to them, are not engaged by simply receiving our free news letter, let alone funding the trail with a simple donation or yearly membership. so funding has to come from somewhere else rather than loyal businesses, organizations, donors, and board members. healthy activities are the way of the future.

as for taxing trucks, oh well. ive spent alot of time on the road. more than enough to know trucks destroy them and rut them out. its just a tax write off anyway. you've got to pay to play. this money will go alot further going into a trail rather than maintaining roads. we are not going to be coming back in 10 years to repave the trail due to wear and tear. as long as the damn tree roots stay out of the ballast, it will last for decades so generations can enjoy it.

Steel is real and it feels no pain.

Dschro

• Conductor
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 07:59:40 AM »
Preach it, brother, preach it!!!

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 09:58:00 AM »

its a quality of life thing. people enjoy these liner parks that take them places. these are safe places for kids to skateboard, and learn to ride a bike. there was one instance where a man going through cancer treatments was finally able to get back out and walk, ended up out on the trail that connected to his neighborhood. IIRC he wasnt walking very well and it served as part of his rehab. he didnt have to deal with the hastle of going for a car ride to enjoy nature, or dealing with a boring, sunbeat walk in a subdivision after he's been getting chemo. zero return on investment? did you know some work places have health insurance that charge you extra if you dont meet physical requirements, like being too fat? just because you dont see it does not mean trails do not have economic benefit. weather you believe it or not, people utilize trails as a method of transportation already despite their extreme lack of connectivity. the hard core bicyclist that we are all cussing for riding on a 2 lane road that he has no business being on, likely one of these trails was part of his commute. on new years day i was cutting up some windfall on the trail, and encountered a man that was riding his trike to the chipoltle in avon. dont ask me about justifying time but the point is he utilized the to get there. to spend money at a business. if you ask me its a good way to burn off some of that food.

as a B&O trails board member, i'll say we are bidding on a piece of this 90 million dollar grant. which is getting distributed all over the state. this grant is primarily going toward visionary trails. if we can get money from this grant there will be quite an extension of pavement on both ends. i wont say how far west we're going right now but it will bring the trail .6 miles into marion county. state money like this is much needed. in my time serving as a board member ive noticed alot of people that use these trails, and live next to them, are not engaged by simply receiving our free news letter, let alone funding the trail with a simple donation or yearly membership. so funding has to come from somewhere else rather than loyal businesses, organizations, donors, and board members. healthy activities are the way of the future.

as for taxing trucks, oh well. ive spent alot of time on the road. more than enough to know trucks destroy them and rut them out. its just a tax write off anyway. you've got to pay to play. this money will go alot further going into a trail rather than maintaining roads. we are not going to be coming back in 10 years to repave the trail due to wear and tear. as long as the damn tree roots stay out of the ballast, it will last for decades so generations can enjoy it.
You sound like a someone who is standing in front of a city council pleading your case.  Yes, I know people use them, Iíve used them and enjoy the ones close to me.  Yes, I know some insurances have perks for healthy people as my wifeís is one of them but thatís a scam in itself.  That debate is for another discussion though.  A majority of people donít rely on a bike trail solely for staying in shape, as an extra option sure.  Nutrition and various forms of a exercising via a public gym or at home gyms do more.  Stories of cancer patients, kids having a safe space, and bicyclists commuting to work are touching but doesnít change my mind on this story.  Had this come up 30 years ago when more people(kids especially)rode bikes, or if there were no sidewalks or a boat load more subdivisions now where traffic is minimal then I could be more supportive and the price to cross the state wasnít already high.  Are trails a nice option, sure?  Do we need to increase the cost of a viable transportation corridor that covers only 7 counties to help with the rest of the state in which a majority will never use, no?  Leasing the toll road was a cluster fudge of an idea by Mitch Daniels in the first place and now this is just going to make it worse especially on the state highways and roads that parallel 80/90.  How about they increase a tax in Marion county by 35% to fund that or better yet turn 465, 65, 70, 74, and 69 into toll roads?  You and I both know how that discussion would turn out at a public meeting in Indy and I wouldnít support that idea either. 

Just because trucks affect roads more than a car or bike doesnít mean they should be gouged to death on transportation.  They already pay a hefty fee to cross this state.  If thatís case then people with more than one kid should pay more for family health insurance, I mean they cost insurance companies more money.  People that have health issues should be charged more too and those that donít should pay less, right?  I mean, your cancer patient you used probably raked up hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical bills, shouldnít he pay more for insurance now?  Fat/obese people should be charged more for buffets, they typically eat more food donít they?  I could give plenty of these examples. 

My point is this is a ridiculous way to increase revenue in the first place.  As soon as the next recession hits or gas jumps up $3-4 a gallon truckers are going to get nailed and this will only exasterbate the problem.  Our infrastructure on our highways, interstates, and roads are more important than funding bike trails right now.  Iím not too sure we needed to extend 69 to Evansville either.  We both know when they say itíll bring in a billion dollars, no it wonít.  Politicians lack mathematical skills a fifth grader has and therefore them spending the money first and coming up short on that billion just puts us in the hole more. 

For the record, I enjoy bike trails when I get the time to use them and I know others do as well.  Much safer than using public roads, most definitely.  Nicer scenery, of course.  Healthy benefits to our society, sure.  I know the perks and I support bike trails.  I just think there is a better way to get funding.  Doing it this way is not economically smart. 

Dschro

• Conductor
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 12:13:31 PM »
Whether we're talking highways, infrastructure or bike trails, were back to that pesky "vision" thing I mentioned!!

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2019, 04:04:56 PM »
With the USA set to become a net energy exporter in the next year or so, gas and diesel jumping to $3-$4 a gallon isnít that likely.  If it doesnít, thatís because there is a supply problem.  Given the amount of Wells not pumping oil in the dakotas right now, supply wonít be an issue.  Developments in drilling technologies has really released OPECís grip on the world oil markets.  Maybe it isnít covered, but I canít remem the last time an OPEC meeting was even made into big news.

xgap

• President
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2019, 11:25:17 PM »
I stand to complain if my fuel taxes and bridge tolls go toward bike trails and lanes, while where I travel the roads and bridges are crap. The funds for bikes would be down on my list. Payers for such should come from town and county funds if that is what local voters prefer. Pro Bike New Albany Mayor will be happy to get millions more to redo his dangerous unused street bike grid, jump start the Monon trail, and put bike lanes on the soon to be rebuilt Sherman Minton Bridge. Certainly not my Vision of priorities. BTW, how does the Amtrak HS rank with such. Thanks

IndyHog

• Superintendent
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2019, 12:02:09 AM »
You would think some of the toll proceeds could go to help operate the Hoosier State and improve running time to CHI
Meet the new boss, he's the same as the old boss......wait a minute, He's much worse

rrnut282

• President
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2019, 11:01:24 AM »
Transportation in any form:  Everyone needs it, but no-one is willing to pay the full costs.   :D
rrnut2-8-2
(Mike)

mononradio

• Conductor
Kids Gotta Eat
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2019, 12:07:30 PM »
Your money goes to feed kids at school because their families cannot or will not feed them at home.
Child Welfare Services soaking up a disproportionate portion of the budget due to parents who have no idea how to raise them.
Treating people for drug dependence because of greedy big pharma pushing "legal" try another word drugs across the population.
Keeping hospitals, police and fire departments afloat because of the above, and due to people thinking they will never need insurance, and not buying any.
The list goes on.
Infrastructure is hardly a priority when you have people dying.