Author Topic: Bill filed to reverse ban on Indy light rail  (Read 2750 times)

ScottFlood

• Chief Dispatcher
Bill filed to reverse ban on Indy light rail
« on: January 18, 2019, 03:32:06 PM »
Rep. Justin Moed has filed a bill to overturn the 2014 law banning light-rail projects in Indianapolis.

The bill is similar to the one he filed last year, which died in the Senate after Sen. Delph (no longer in office) attached language saying money must first be used to fix potholes.

The bill was referred to the House's transportation committee. Here's a story from the IBJ:
https://www.ibj.com/articles/72108-state-legislator-hopes-to-get-traction-for-bills-on-i-65i-70-light-rail?utm_source=ibj-daily&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=2019-01-18

danielm75

• Fireman
Re: Bill filed to reverse ban on Indy light rail
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 03:46:36 PM »
With a city of our size, along with the congestion issues on the roads/interstates (I-69 in Fishers, for example), we need light rail. I also couldn't imagine IndyGo running light rail; they can't even run the bus system in place.

crblue

• Dispatcher
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 07:12:03 AM »
Take a drive down Meridian from 38th to 16th or Capital from 16th to Washington. The Red Line is simply obliterating driving lanes in favor of their stupid dedicated bus line with "stations" in the middle of the street. It is quite apparent that someone at a very high level in city management has decided that if drivers are inconvenienced enough, they will be forced to ride public transit.

As for the commute down I-69 from Fishers/Noblesville, just wait until the reconstruction of the I-465/I-69 interchange starts. I can't imagine the bottlenecks. Sadly, there are few alternative routes.

If only...

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 09:26:35 AM »
Take a drive down Meridian from 38th to 16th or Capital from 16th to Washington. The Red Line is simply obliterating driving lanes in favor of their stupid dedicated bus line with "stations" in the middle of the street. It is quite apparent that someone at a very high level in city management has decided that if drivers are inconvenienced enough, they will be forced to ride public transit.

As for the commute down I-69 from Fishers/Noblesville, just wait until the reconstruction of the I-465/I-69 interchange starts. I can't imagine the bottlenecks. Sadly, there are few alternative routes.

If only...
They are redoing 465/69 again on the northeast side?  They just redid that not too long ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crblue

• Dispatcher
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 01:27:52 PM »
They are redoing 465/69 again on the northeast side?  They just redid that not too long ago
Ummm...not really. They may have done some repaving and realignment of lanes, but not a rebuild.

https://www.in.gov/indot/3654.htm

Construction is supposed to start Spring 2020. Project will make big changes to the traffic coming onto southbound I-69 from 82nd Street. The current situation is a common problem around the Indianapolis interstates where you have traffic accelerating and changing lanes (82nd St to southbound Binford Blvd) at the same time as you have traffic decelerating and changing lanes (southbound I-69 to eastbound or westbound I-465). Also, if you are driving east on I-465 from Keystone to I-69, the road narrows from 6 lanes (including the lanes coming on from Keystone) to 3 lanes at the point where the southbound Binford ramp starts.

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 01:30:54 PM »
Ummm...not really. They may have done some repaving and realignment of lanes, but not a rebuild.

https://www.in.gov/indot/3654.htm

Construction is supposed to start Spring 2020. Project will make big changes to the traffic coming onto southbound I-69 from 82nd Street. The current situation is a common problem around the Indianapolis interstates where you have traffic accelerating and changing lanes (82nd St to southbound Binford Blvd) at the same time as you have traffic decelerating and changing lanes (southbound I-69 to eastbound or westbound I-465). Also, if you are driving east on I-465 from Keystone to I-69, the road narrows from 6 lanes (including the lanes coming on from Keystone) to 3 lanes at the point where the southbound Binford ramp starts.
That’s right.  I was thinking of us 31and 465 up through Westfield. 

Wema

• Dispatcher
  • A Rail History Nut
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 02:10:19 PM »
The NE side of Indy is going to be rough when that project starts, the Keystone/96th Street roundabout project is supposed to continue through 2020 as well.

Add in the I69 Section 6 project and 2020 will be a rough year for Indy commuters.

doublestacks

• Mogul
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2019, 03:00:08 PM »
I got a feeling my conversations with city county councilman jared evans have been working. He's a supporter of passenger rail infrastructure, and I believe this is one of the people he works with on issues.
Steel is real and it feels no pain.

ckpcpqq

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2019, 11:00:43 PM »
Not being all that familiar with Indy, I'm wondering what sort of rail projects we're talking about here.  Light rail?  Commuter rail?  And what routes would be serious possibilities?

Hemigray 42

• Engineer
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2019, 09:39:23 AM »
The smartest route for commuter and or flight rail is Indy airport to downtown as much conventions and events go on this would be the best immediate start.

Sent from my LGL163BL using Tapatalk

rrnut282

• President
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2019, 01:09:06 PM »
They could route that line airport, track, and then downtown.  Imagine the irony of people flying in for the 500 to watch internal-combustion-powered racing while avoiding using any internal-combustion-powered transportation. 
rrnut2-8-2
(Mike)

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2019, 05:59:17 PM »
They could route that line airport, track, and then downtown.  Imagine the irony of people flying in for the 500 to watch internal-combustion-powered racing while avoiding using any internal-combustion-powered transportation.
Jet engines are a form of internal combustion engines.

crblue

• Dispatcher
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2019, 06:28:09 AM »
And, the trend in racing world wide is towards electric-powered race cars.

rrnut282

• President
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2019, 02:00:31 PM »
yes, jets are a type of internal-combustion.  However, I was referring to the ground transportation segment, where they could take the train instead of a rental car. 
rrnut2-8-2
(Mike)

Sharky1

• Dispatcher
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2019, 06:43:33 PM »

What is displacement of a jet engine? To be internal combustion it needs to have a closed combustion chamber. Jet engines combustion takes place in an open chamber which makes it external combustion. Pulse jets, like the German buzz bombs were kind of a hybrid of internal and external combustion as shutters open and close at the exit of the combustion chamber. A steam locomotive is external combustion as it's combustion is in chamber (firebox) open to the atmosphere just as the jet's combustion chamber is open to the atmosphere.
There a fine line between a 'hobby' and a 'mental illness'.

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2019, 07:01:05 PM »
What is displacement of a jet engine? To be internal combustion it needs to have a closed combustion chamber. Jet engines combustion takes place in an open chamber which makes it external combustion. Pulse jets, like the German buzz bombs were kind of a hybrid of internal and external combustion as shutters open and close at the exit of the combustion chamber. A steam locomotive is external combustion as it's combustion is in chamber (firebox) open to the atmosphere just as the jet's combustion chamber is open to the atmosphere.
“To be internal combustion it needs to be in a closed combustion chamber” that is wrong.  It’s combustion occurs completely inside of the engine which therefore makes it “internal”. You don’t need displacement for an internal combustion engine.  You example of a steam engine isn’t quite accurate either.  It’s external because the steam is produced outside of the internal components of the steam engine then forced to the internal components being the cylinders.  Also the three components aren’t mixed together in a steam engine(air, fuel, spark) which are in an internal combustion engine.  And don’t steam engines which we agree are external have displacement for their cylinders?

As someone who has had multiple family members design, help patent, and work on, in, and with jet engines since 1950 and agree it is a form of internal combustion engine as do many credible sources I’m sure which are on the internet is where I learned this.  I tried arguing with them years ago and lost.  They used language above my education level but this sums it up in a nut shell.

Cmdr_Suds

• Superintendent
  • Notch eight and sanding!
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2019, 09:43:15 PM »
The smartest route for commuter and or flight rail is Indy airport to downtown as much conventions and events go on this would be the best immediate start.

But you would put all of those cabbies out of work!
CSX CE&D Sub
"No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced."

Ralph

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2019, 09:54:59 PM »
But you would put all of those cabbies out of work!

I've sometimes thought that is why rail was not included when the new terminal was built. Wonder if the owners of the taxi companies have friends in the city-county building.

IndyHog

• Superintendent
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2019, 10:03:53 PM »
I've sometimes thought that is why rail was not included when the new terminal was built. Wonder if the owners of the taxi companies have friends in the city-county building.

Ralph, supposedly out there somewhere there is/was a train station built for possible future use. I'll be durned if I know where though
Meet the new boss, he's the same as the old boss......wait a minute, He's much worse

Kim_Heusel

• Superintendent
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2019, 10:30:56 PM »
Ralph, supposedly out there somewhere there is/was a train station built for possible future use. I'll be durned if I know where though

When the new airport terminal was being designed and built, there were many news stories about how a future rail terminal was part of the design. Once it was built, it was never mentioned again. I have no idea where in the new terminal the the rail station was supposed to be. If space was built into the terminal, it probably is being used for something else now.

Kim Heusel

Hemigray 42

• Engineer
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2019, 11:59:29 PM »
I heard that too I will talk to a friend who works for airport police to find out if that true.  Yes I would put cabbies out of work if a train to downtown was available . Cleaner,faster , and gets cars of road to help traffic. Win , win if you ask me.

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2019, 12:31:30 AM »
Rude sharing will put cabs out of business, barring government stepping in, long before light rail would.

crblue

• Dispatcher
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2019, 06:40:33 AM »
I've seen the plans for the Indianapolis Airport terminal building and I can't imagine where they might have planned for a train station to be. The adjacent parking garage, parts of which are also an enclosed building, might have been a possibility, but there's nothing there now for a train station. It's conceivable that a stub-ended station could be attached to the southwest end of the existing parking garage with elevated tracks running along the inbound side of Col. H. Weir Cook Memorial Drive.

ScottFlood

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2019, 07:33:03 AM »
When I toured the new terminal before it opened, the airport staff pointed out the strip of land between the terminal building and the parking structure that was designed as a right-of-way if a future rail line was ever created. I believe it's still maintained as open space ... it's the grassy area adjacent to the car rental area.

mononradio

• Conductor
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2019, 01:11:42 PM »
Always thought the old terminal area would have been perfect for an intermodal station, with a heavy rail terminal (higher speed) as well as light rail links from that corner of the airport property to the convention center.  There already was parking garage facilities which would have save construction costs for new ones.

There would have been no further need for the old downtown Amtrak station except as a stop on the light rail loop.

State feels otherwise, and gave the property to an outsourcing company whose foreign employees for the most part operate on visas, undercutting the salaries of US workers.

But perhaps there is still enough vacant land for transportation center developments under some future state administration.

scraphauler

• Tycoon
  • Oberfeldwebel Hans Scraphauler
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2019, 01:31:57 PM »
Simply build a nice “station” building along existing line. Provide limited short term parking at station and connect to airport via long term parking shuttle busses.  Gives Amtrak passengers ample parking, and access to rental cars and airport amenities.  Establish that FIRST.  Can be done at reasonable cost and give Indy a better “intermodal” feel. IF that proves successful, THEN explore DMU or conventional rail shuttle service to Downtown.  Build from there.  A grandiose plan of building new tracks here and there and light rail to all corners of that map will never fly in this area.  Incremental improvements that people get used to makes smaller “hey, what if we extended service to X” a whole lot more palatable. 

But it’s all for naught if Hoosier is axed.  Right now the Hoosier shoulders some of the “fixed cost” burden of the route. Those cost will be soley on Cardinal now.  Be surprised if Cardinal survives another year in that case.

Kim_Heusel

• Superintendent
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2019, 01:47:50 PM »

State feels otherwise, and gave the property to an outsourcing company whose foreign employees for the most part operate on visas, undercutting the salaries of US workers.

Where did you get that information? Infosys is a foreign-based company, but has a major presence in Indianapolis as well as scores of other sites around the world. What do you mean by outsourcing? I also don't think all of its employees are foreigners undercutting Americans. Some may be on the visa program, but the company is going to hire 3,000 workers. Also pretty sure the state/city didn't just "give" the site to Infosys. Incentives are involved for sure, but Infosys is certainly investing a lot of its own money.

Kim Heusel

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2019, 01:56:02 PM »
Someone mentioned intermodal yard.  I know fed ex was really pushing for csx to build an intermodal yard but that obviously fell through.  I know they were even going to put their own money to help with the cost. 

mononradio

• Conductor
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2019, 02:26:18 PM »
Did not want to name the company, but just google the name you mentioned and you will see they have a history elsewhere.

Visa fraud in particular.

Failure to hire anywhere near the numbers of local workers that were promised in order to get incentives.

US workers forced to train lower paid immigrant replacements, then the US workers laid off.

There is a scheduled rally against them in Hartford, Connecticut tonight, as reported in the Northwest Indiana Times.

Unless something different happens in Indiana that has not happened in other states?

But the point to be made is that Indiana's policy makers hardly lift a finger to support existing industries, such as railroads.

Are the relatively high paying existing jobs at Beech Grove, working as on-board crew, or Amtrak contractors, not equally as important as the pie-in-the sky new spots allegedly being created through these state and local government subsidies? 

« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 02:41:00 PM by mononradio »

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2019, 02:26:35 PM »
Someone mentioned intermodal yard.  I know fed ex was really pushing for csx to build an intermodal yard but that obviously fell through.  I know they were even going to put their own money to help with the cost. 

First I’d heard if that.  From my observations, FedEX doesn’t have near the rail reliance as say UPS.

Indy is mostly the high priority “Express” stuff.  FedEX freight and ground has a presence, but with their facilities as close to interestares as they are, those trailers could be halfway to destination by the time they even get loaded on a rail car.

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2019, 02:32:51 PM »
First I’d heard if that.  From my observations, FedEX doesn’t have near the rail reliance as say UPS.

Indy is mostly the high priority “Express” stuff.  FedEX freight and ground has a presence, but with their facilities as close to interestares as they are, those trailers could be halfway to destination by the time they even get loaded on a rail car.
A good friend of mine is responsible for getting truck and trailers in and out of Indy.  I don’t know his actual title but he was up here a few months ago for a meeting before the Christmas rush with people from Chicago, detroit, and other cities.  This topic came up and he was told by his boss that they were interested.  FedEx knows it loses a day in shipping when they use train vs truck except for the Denver route.  They are willing to ship by rail and lose a day on those routes because it saves them money and an extra day doesn’t hurt them

Cmdr_Suds

• Superintendent
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2019, 08:28:54 PM »
Rude sharing will put cabs out of business........
I don't know where the term"sharing" came from but there is no sharing going on.  Its a straight fee for services deal except the car is only being used part time for shuffling people around.  More of the typical internet hype. 
CSX CE&D Sub
"No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced."

csxdispatcher

• Dispatcher
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2019, 08:40:59 PM »
I don't know where the term"sharing" came from but there is no sharing going on.  Its a straight fee for services deal except the car is only being used part time for shuffling people around.  More of the typical internet hype.

I take it you have not heard of Uber Pool?

https://www.uber.com/ride/uberpool/

SemperVaporo

• Dispatcher
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2019, 09:16:07 PM »
I don't take a taxi much anymore, but the few times I have in the last 30 years, I have been "Ride Sharing" the trip... the taxi comes to get me and there is already someone in it and we all then go pick up a third person and we all ride to one of our destinations, one gets out and then we go get someone else and go to another destination, etc. etc. etc.  and each pays for the ride from when they got in until they get out.  The only "Sharing" is being in the same vehicle at the same time... there is no sharing of the cost!

I have never figured out the reasoning for a law being passed to prohibit rail travel in Indy.  That has always sounded like someone involved in making that law was on the take from someone that was gonna make money selling cars or other (more expensive) means of people moving.
Semper Vaporo
Charles T. McCullough
CMBY RY

pkgs.

Dschro

• Conductor
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2019, 08:25:21 AM »
As a lifelong Hoosier, I know what the problem is and it's called "lack of vision".  We have lacked leadership on a state level to ever look ahead and see the the opportunities that are right in front of our noses.  Whether its's commuter rail or anything else, we consistently fail to capitalize on our potential.  Case in point, the PRR ROW from Terre Haute to Richmond.  Instead of seeing the opportunity to create a "Linear State Park" as Michigan has done and then charge user fees, we bumble along and let a lack of vision by the state government and the NIMBY's kill any potential development.  Instead of anything that would draw tourist dollars to the state and local coffers, we have short segments that are useful for dogwalkers and runners and nothing else.  I live in Greenfield and run the Pennsy trail three or four times a week and listen to people gripe about the fact that it didn't bring in any revenue to the county and city.  These fools are the same ones who fight tooth and nail to keep from connecting it to the Indy and Knightstown segments!   No one is going to drive to Greenfield to ride a 5.5 mile trail and they can't figure this out.  We are surrounded by states (except for KY) that are way ahead of us in utilizing abandoned rail corridors and supporting passenger rail.  When the railroads left Xenia OH, the city fathers and the state recognized the potential for tourism dollars and went to work.  There are now over 175 miles of rail trails emanating from Xenia to the surrounding communities and people spend big bucks travel there and enjoy them.  Think of the revenue produced in Ohio, Michigan, Illinois and Wisconsin in tourist dollars for the local economy and ask yourself what are we thinking! This is the same mentality that doesn't support rail travel anywhere in Indiana.  The state government doesn't want to support Chicago service and refused to contribute to increasing service along the lakefront from Milwaukee to Detroit.  We were the only state that refused.   

Cmdr_Suds

• Superintendent
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2019, 08:36:23 PM »
I have never figured out the reasoning for a law being passed to prohibit rail travel in Indy.  That has always sounded like someone involved in making that law was on the take from someone that was gonna make money selling cars or other (more expensive) means of people moving.
See
http://indianarailroads.org/board/index.php?topic=18391.msg172141#msg172141
CSX CE&D Sub

ScottFlood

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2019, 10:31:23 AM »
Update: the bill passed out of the House Roads and Transportation Committee and now heads to the full House for consideration.

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2019, 02:22:06 PM »
We had the Old P&E Line from Union Station to 30th Street. That would have been a good line to expand North. Where the Monon Trail is today, Indianapolis could have used that line along with the Nickel Plate Line for Lite Rail. Look at the Cities and Towns that could have been served. But instead they Chose a Path, That Makes No Money. And Look at who has to Pay for it, Tax Payers that Do Not Use It. Total Stupidity on the Cities Part.

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2019, 02:30:43 PM »
...And Look at who has to Pay for it, Tax Payers that Do Not Use It. Total Stupidity on the Cities Part.

And, light rail wouldn’t be any different for the people that don’t live along those lines you listed?

NS7112

• Dispatcher
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2019, 05:43:50 PM »
When the new airport terminal was being designed and built, there were many news stories about how a future rail terminal was part of the design. Once it was built, it was never mentioned again. I have no idea where in the new terminal the the rail station was supposed to be. If space was built into the terminal, it probably is being used for something else now.

Kim Heusel

As big as a convention host as we are..it blows me away that light rail was not put in from downtown to the airport at least.  We're twenty years behind other big cities!! 

scraphauler

• Tycoon
  • Oberfeldwebel Hans Scraphauler
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2019, 06:09:43 PM »
As big as a convention host as we are..it blows me away that light rail was not put in from downtown to the airport at least.  We're twenty years behind other big cities!!

And yet the conventions still come.  Fortunately (or unfortunately) traffic and parking is NOT a problem in downtown, no matter how much we complain about it.  It is simply not bad enough to force the population as a whole to demand better options.  Yes it would be nice to be proactive and have a vibrant public transportation system BEFORE the ultimate need arises.  But let's face it, any Politician of ANY PARTY who comes to Indianapolis (or any other similar city) and spends hundreds of millions or billions of dollars on PUBLIC, I can't drive my car there, TRANSPORTATION, regardless of how noble his/her intentions, is NOT getting re-elected.

Best we can hope for is a repeal of the prohibition on light rail which could possibly someday lead to a startup downtown circulator streetcar type system,  similar to Cincinnati.  Cincinnati Streetcar is a dismal FAILURE as a transportation system.  It's still very controversial and the democrat mayor still wants to ax it.   It's mainly used by the downtown lunch crowd and by locals and tourists moving between entertainment districts.  No one commutes on it.  And it require a large operating subsidy.  BUT it is a huge success as a economic development driver, concentrating new development along it's lines (development that arguably could have happened elsewhere in greater Cincinnati) and has turned what was once in the top 5 for most dangerous ZIP codes (per capita) in the US into a thriving and growing entertainment district.  Is it perfect, hell no.  But it's light years better than where it was a decade ago.   And it is slowly bringing the density in commercial, entertainment, AND housing that requires better public transit and, more importantly, making the idea of hoping on public transit something that is more palatable to the suburbanites who's taxes pay for it. 

hobodano

• Conductor
  • Retired Sou/NS
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2019, 10:00:42 PM »
St. Louis Light Rail is impressive in what they have accomplished since Starting in 1994. They built 14 miles of MetroLink from Lambert Airport to downtown. The capital cost to build the initial phase of MetroLink was $465 million. Of that amount, $348 million was supplied by the Federal Transit Administration (FTA). Although the city population is (62nd), 317,000 and (62) square mile area is dwarfed by Indy’s (16th) 862,000 and (391) square miles. Of course, St. Louis has a slight edge of Metro population, (2 million to Indy’s 1.8 million) Metro area. After expanding to 46 miles, the system features 38 stations and carries an average of 53,123 people each weekday. As of the first quarter of 2015, it is second only to Minneapolis Metro Transit's in terms of ridership, and is the 11th-largest light rail system in the country. Irrespective, of residual benefits from housing, business, traffic, parking, convenience, pollution, the idea has merit. Of course, this only touches on the fringes of consideration and alternative viability. Good Point Scrap!  :)
Fairly familiar with southern Indiana trackage

crblue

• Dispatcher
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2019, 05:29:54 PM »
Fortunately (or unfortunately) traffic and parking is NOT a problem in downtown, no matter how much we complain about it.  It is simply not bad enough to force the population as a whole to demand better options.
Given that IndyGo's Red Line project is reducing the number of travel lanes on the streets that it uses, my cynical brain sometimes wonders if this isn't a ploy to convince the driving public in Indianapolis that more transportation options are needed in a city this size.

Between the mostly un-used bike lanes and the Red Line, driving north and south between downtown and 38th Street is becoming a PITA.

DUPER

• Brakeman
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2019, 12:25:02 PM »
Long ago, passenger rail went out of business because there were not enough people to go from the fixed point A to the fixed point B that any rail line traverses.  The interstate highway system ran passenger rail out of business because it was a network of roads, not just a parallel road going from the same point A to point B.

People arriving at the airport have far more destinations in Indy than just downtown.  And people in Fishers have far more destinations than downtown.  In fact, I'll wager that downtown isn't a big destination for either group (outside of special events), so why even bother running a rail line to downtown at all?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 07:48:23 AM by DUPER »

IndyHog

• Superintendent
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2019, 12:39:55 PM »
Yes traffic or gas prices will have to increase dramatically before lightrail is feasible. We're not there yet.
Meet the new boss, he's the same as the old boss......wait a minute, He's much worse

TomB

• Dispatcher
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2019, 01:46:49 PM »
St. Louis Light Rail is impressive in what they have accomplished since Starting in 1994. They built 14 miles of MetroLink from Lambert Airport to downtown. The capital cost to build the initial phase of MetroLink was $465 million. Of that amount, $348 million was supplied by the Federal Transit Administration (FTA). Although the city population is (62nd), 317,000 and (62) square mile area is dwarfed by Indy’s (16th) 862,000 and (391) square miles. Of course, St. Louis has a slight edge of Metro population, (2 million to Indy’s 1.8 million) Metro area. After expanding to 46 miles, the system features 38 stations and carries an average of 53,123 people each weekday. As of the first quarter of 2015, it is second only to Minneapolis Metro Transit's in terms of ridership, and is the 11th-largest light rail system in the country. Irrespective, of residual benefits from housing, business, traffic, parking, convenience, pollution, the idea has merit. Of course, this only touches on the fringes of consideration and alternative viability. Good Point Scrap!  :)

MetroLink is also plagued by very high crime and people are starting to avoid it.  Numerous articles on www.stltoday.com document it.

hobodano

• Conductor
  • Retired Sou/NS
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2019, 03:57:39 PM »
MetroLink is also plagued by very high crime and people are starting to avoid it.  Numerous articles on www.stltoday.com document it.

To quote Scraphauler’s original post, “Is it perfect, hell no?  But it's light years better than where it was a decade ago. And it is slowly bringing the density in commercial, entertainment, AND housing that requires better public transit and, more importantly, making the idea of hoping on public transit something that is more palatable to the suburbanites whose taxes pays for it.”
From the early start (1994), Federal aid, Airport to downtown, residual benefits, and economic development would be considerations for light rail. Current trends in crime and ridership are a major concern, secondary to viable options for public transportation in a large city and are separate issues against a startup light rail project. :)

Fairly familiar with southern Indiana trackage

ScottFlood

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2019, 08:52:27 PM »
The bill passed the House 89-5. Now on to the Senate.