Author Topic: Bill filed to reverse ban on Indy light rail  (Read 2764 times)

ScottFlood

• Chief Dispatcher
Bill filed to reverse ban on Indy light rail
« on: January 18, 2019, 03:32:06 PM »
Rep. Justin Moed has filed a bill to overturn the 2014 law banning light-rail projects in Indianapolis.

The bill is similar to the one he filed last year, which died in the Senate after Sen. Delph (no longer in office) attached language saying money must first be used to fix potholes.

The bill was referred to the House's transportation committee. Here's a story from the IBJ:
https://www.ibj.com/articles/72108-state-legislator-hopes-to-get-traction-for-bills-on-i-65i-70-light-rail?utm_source=ibj-daily&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=2019-01-18

danielm75

• Fireman
Re: Bill filed to reverse ban on Indy light rail
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 03:46:36 PM »
With a city of our size, along with the congestion issues on the roads/interstates (I-69 in Fishers, for example), we need light rail. I also couldn't imagine IndyGo running light rail; they can't even run the bus system in place.

crblue

• Dispatcher
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 07:12:03 AM »
Take a drive down Meridian from 38th to 16th or Capital from 16th to Washington. The Red Line is simply obliterating driving lanes in favor of their stupid dedicated bus line with "stations" in the middle of the street. It is quite apparent that someone at a very high level in city management has decided that if drivers are inconvenienced enough, they will be forced to ride public transit.

As for the commute down I-69 from Fishers/Noblesville, just wait until the reconstruction of the I-465/I-69 interchange starts. I can't imagine the bottlenecks. Sadly, there are few alternative routes.

If only...

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 09:26:35 AM »
Take a drive down Meridian from 38th to 16th or Capital from 16th to Washington. The Red Line is simply obliterating driving lanes in favor of their stupid dedicated bus line with "stations" in the middle of the street. It is quite apparent that someone at a very high level in city management has decided that if drivers are inconvenienced enough, they will be forced to ride public transit.

As for the commute down I-69 from Fishers/Noblesville, just wait until the reconstruction of the I-465/I-69 interchange starts. I can't imagine the bottlenecks. Sadly, there are few alternative routes.

If only...
They are redoing 465/69 again on the northeast side?  They just redid that not too long ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crblue

• Dispatcher
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 01:27:52 PM »
They are redoing 465/69 again on the northeast side?  They just redid that not too long ago
Ummm...not really. They may have done some repaving and realignment of lanes, but not a rebuild.

https://www.in.gov/indot/3654.htm

Construction is supposed to start Spring 2020. Project will make big changes to the traffic coming onto southbound I-69 from 82nd Street. The current situation is a common problem around the Indianapolis interstates where you have traffic accelerating and changing lanes (82nd St to southbound Binford Blvd) at the same time as you have traffic decelerating and changing lanes (southbound I-69 to eastbound or westbound I-465). Also, if you are driving east on I-465 from Keystone to I-69, the road narrows from 6 lanes (including the lanes coming on from Keystone) to 3 lanes at the point where the southbound Binford ramp starts.

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 01:30:54 PM »
Ummm...not really. They may have done some repaving and realignment of lanes, but not a rebuild.

https://www.in.gov/indot/3654.htm

Construction is supposed to start Spring 2020. Project will make big changes to the traffic coming onto southbound I-69 from 82nd Street. The current situation is a common problem around the Indianapolis interstates where you have traffic accelerating and changing lanes (82nd St to southbound Binford Blvd) at the same time as you have traffic decelerating and changing lanes (southbound I-69 to eastbound or westbound I-465). Also, if you are driving east on I-465 from Keystone to I-69, the road narrows from 6 lanes (including the lanes coming on from Keystone) to 3 lanes at the point where the southbound Binford ramp starts.
Thatís right.  I was thinking of us 31and 465 up through Westfield. 

Wema

• Dispatcher
  • A Rail History Nut
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 02:10:19 PM »
The NE side of Indy is going to be rough when that project starts, the Keystone/96th Street roundabout project is supposed to continue through 2020 as well.

Add in the I69 Section 6 project and 2020 will be a rough year for Indy commuters.

doublestacks

• Mogul
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2019, 03:00:08 PM »
I got a feeling my conversations with city county councilman jared evans have been working. He's a supporter of passenger rail infrastructure, and I believe this is one of the people he works with on issues.
Steel is real and it feels no pain.

ckpcpqq

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2019, 11:00:43 PM »
Not being all that familiar with Indy, I'm wondering what sort of rail projects we're talking about here.  Light rail?  Commuter rail?  And what routes would be serious possibilities?

Hemigray 42

• Engineer
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2019, 09:39:23 AM »
The smartest route for commuter and or flight rail is Indy airport to downtown as much conventions and events go on this would be the best immediate start.

Sent from my LGL163BL using Tapatalk

rrnut282

• President
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2019, 01:09:06 PM »
They could route that line airport, track, and then downtown.  Imagine the irony of people flying in for the 500 to watch internal-combustion-powered racing while avoiding using any internal-combustion-powered transportation. 
rrnut2-8-2
(Mike)

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2019, 05:59:17 PM »
They could route that line airport, track, and then downtown.  Imagine the irony of people flying in for the 500 to watch internal-combustion-powered racing while avoiding using any internal-combustion-powered transportation.
Jet engines are a form of internal combustion engines.

crblue

• Dispatcher
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2019, 06:28:09 AM »
And, the trend in racing world wide is towards electric-powered race cars.

rrnut282

• President
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2019, 02:00:31 PM »
yes, jets are a type of internal-combustion.  However, I was referring to the ground transportation segment, where they could take the train instead of a rental car. 
rrnut2-8-2
(Mike)

Sharky1

• Dispatcher
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2019, 06:43:33 PM »

What is displacement of a jet engine? To be internal combustion it needs to have a closed combustion chamber. Jet engines combustion takes place in an open chamber which makes it external combustion. Pulse jets, like the German buzz bombs were kind of a hybrid of internal and external combustion as shutters open and close at the exit of the combustion chamber. A steam locomotive is external combustion as it's combustion is in chamber (firebox) open to the atmosphere just as the jet's combustion chamber is open to the atmosphere.
There a fine line between a 'hobby' and a 'mental illness'.

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
Bill filed to reverse ban on Indy light rail
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2019, 07:01:05 PM »
What is displacement of a jet engine? To be internal combustion it needs to have a closed combustion chamber. Jet engines combustion takes place in an open chamber which makes it external combustion. Pulse jets, like the German buzz bombs were kind of a hybrid of internal and external combustion as shutters open and close at the exit of the combustion chamber. A steam locomotive is external combustion as it's combustion is in chamber (firebox) open to the atmosphere just as the jet's combustion chamber is open to the atmosphere.
ďTo be internal combustion it needs to be in a closed combustion chamberĒ that is wrong.  Itís combustion occurs completely inside of the engine which therefore makes it ďinternalĒ. You donít need displacement for an internal combustion engine.  You example of a steam engine isnít quite accurate either.  Itís external because the steam is produced outside of the internal components of the steam engine then forced to the internal components being the cylinders.  Also the three components arenít mixed together in a steam engine(air, fuel, spark) which are in an internal combustion engine.  And donít steam engines which we agree are external have displacement for their cylinders?

As someone who has had multiple family members design, help patent, and work on, in, and with jet engines since 1950 and agree it is a form of internal combustion engine as do many credible sources Iím sure which are on the internet is where I learned this.  I tried arguing with them years ago and lost.  They used language above my education level but this sums it up in a nut shell.

Cmdr_Suds

• Superintendent
  • Notch eight and sanding!
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2019, 09:43:15 PM »
The smartest route for commuter and or flight rail is Indy airport to downtown as much conventions and events go on this would be the best immediate start.

Sent from my LGL163BL using Tapatalk
But you would put all of those cabbies out of work!
CSX CE&D Sub
"No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced."

Ralph

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2019, 09:54:59 PM »
But you would put all of those cabbies out of work!

I've sometimes thought that is why rail was not included when the new terminal was built. Wonder if the owners of the taxi companies have friends in the city-county building.

IndyHog

• Superintendent
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2019, 10:03:53 PM »
I've sometimes thought that is why rail was not included when the new terminal was built. Wonder if the owners of the taxi companies have friends in the city-county building.

Ralph, supposedly out there somewhere there is/was a train station built for possible future use. I'll be durned if I know where though
Meet the new boss, he's the same as the old boss......wait a minute, He's much worse

Kim_Heusel

• Superintendent
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2019, 10:30:56 PM »
Ralph, supposedly out there somewhere there is/was a train station built for possible future use. I'll be durned if I know where though

When the new airport terminal was being designed and built, there were many news stories about how a future rail terminal was part of the design. Once it was built, it was never mentioned again. I have no idea where in the new terminal the the rail station was supposed to be. If space was built into the terminal, it probably is being used for something else now.

Kim Heusel