Author Topic: LaSalle, IL  (Read 1377 times)

Huelsy

• Conductor
LaSalle, IL
« on: January 18, 2019, 12:08:49 PM »
Looking at making a trip to Rochelle later in the year. I would like to catch the Iowa Interstate around LaSalle, is there a yard or anything where they operate out of near LaSalle?

jeb1978

• Brakeman
Re: LaSalle, IL
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 05:27:06 PM »
IAIS is basically one track through LaSalle.  The only customer they serve is the Buzzi cement plant using the old IC yard, but that is very infrequent. 

Closest IAIS yard (of sorts) would be several miles to the west at Bureau. 

The yard type trackage near the river in LaSalle is operated by the Illinois Railway, which is the old CBQ branch to Zearing.  They serve a chemical plant, a fertilizer plant, and a transload facility for James Hardie. 

Huelsy

• Conductor
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 10:38:12 PM »
Thanks! There seems to be an abundance of interesting things to explore in that general area of Illinois. 

jdonutken

• Engineer
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 10:14:57 AM »
Looking at making a trip to Rochelle later in the year. I would like to catch the Iowa Interstate around LaSalle, is there a yard or anything where they operate out of near LaSalle?

You might get answers here:  https://groups.io/g/Iowa-Interstate/topics

Also, the aforementioned Illinois Railway seems to be more active...I go by there several times a month, and they're always doing something, somewhere, in a fairly limited area.  Their office is a caboose in a cornfield, just north of the Plank Road exit off I-80 just west of Peru, IL

Let me know when you come, if you want guides (my wife has gotten good at train watching, also lol)
Costello: Never the twain shall meet.
Abbott: Which twain?
Costello: The twain on twack twee!

Huelsy

• Conductor
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 01:22:37 PM »
Thanks! We will probably spend no more then 30 minutes in the area. Really just passing through on the way and getting pictures  of the depots, towers, etc in the area.

jdonutken

• Engineer
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 11:46:15 AM »
Here is the FB page for the Illinois Railway.  Several of the employees are on here, and likely will be happy to tell you what's happening when you choose to visit. (3 separate ops-Ottawa to Aurora, LaSalle to Zearing, and Flagg Center, just outside Rochelle, to Davis Junction and Rockford)  LaSalle RI station is still standing, and Ottawa has a magnificent brick CB&Q station that's now IR HQ.  At Mendota, the old IC freight depot is now the Amtrak stop and museum, with a steam engine and some cars on display; you can see how 3 railroads used to interact there. (also Milwaukee Road depot is still there!)  4 west coast Amtraks (2 each way) all come thru between noon and 5pm CT.  Also, there's Ladd, IL, just northwest of LaSalle-Peru, kind of the Westport of the west, lol-NYC came all the way out here, and swapped with CMSP&P (like Westport), CNW, and CB&Q-tracks and old ROWs everywhere!  :) https://www.facebook.com/groups/1696157587339901/

Drovus

• Engineer
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 06:59:35 PM »
A little off topic, but is that lift bridge in Ottawa still in use?  I saw a few videos of it on YOUTUBE.

jdonutken

• Engineer
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 10:32:07 AM »
No, sadly-not used for some years, now.  Traffic south of Ottawa dried up, and the line is full of stored coal hoppers, accessible from the Streator end...

pr1952

• Brakeman
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2020, 11:03:14 PM »
Just now saw this topic and boy does it bring back memories. I went to high school just west of LaSalle-Peru and did a lot of exploring that area. We used to hike up some of the local slag piles as enforced exercise on Sunday afternoons, and I rode the Rock Island into Chicago to visit my grandparents when we had weekends off from school. The RI and Burlington lines both ran through the southern part of our campus and the RI seemed to be pretty busy at that time (late 60's). The worst mining disaster in the US took place several miles north in Cherry, close to 300 killed in the early part of the 20th century. There were many mines and quite a few branch lines to pick up coal. When I was in school there was still the original IC line running N?S through La Salle and the LaSalle and Bureau County going out to the north and west. There was a Milwaukee Road line into Ladd as well as the NYC that crossed the Illinois River near Spring Valley. All were active when I was there. I realize the original post was years ago, but it is an interesting area with a lot of history worth checking out.
PR