Author Topic: Helpers Indiana  (Read 1675 times)

ventrue

• Fireman
Re: Helpers Indiana
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2019, 12:28:23 AM »
Seen this in older videos of SP coal trains using mid train and rear train DPU's. Possibly this is where you seen them.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear.  I'm specifically talking about "Distributed Power" of this century, contemporary "DP".  While the concept of dividing locomotive power and spreading it throughout the train, or distributed power, has been around for decades, I personally never heard the term "Distributed Power" until the last 20 years or so.  I'm simply not familiar enough with it to speak definitely about the terminology and how its changed over time, the thing I was wondering is if the current technology of DP allowed for both mid-train and rear-end DPU's in the same train and if it provides for communications to be relayed or hopped from mid to rear in the event the distance from the head end to the rear end becomes so great that data becomes unreliable, perhaps due to topography like hills or tunnels.

ventrue

• Fireman
Re: Helpers Indiana
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2019, 12:29:48 AM »
I can confirm BSNF runs mid and rear DPU through La Plata. Somewhere on Youtube I have a video of them.

Thanks for the help!  I thought that I had seen that but struggled to provide evidence.