Author Topic: Amtrak Hoosier State Funding on the chopping block?  (Read 13380 times)

Sharky1

• Dispatcher
Re: Amtrak Hoosier State Funding on the chopping block?
« Reply #260 on: June 16, 2019, 06:32:22 PM »
I think Senator Vance Harkey had a big part in the 'Grove' being made an Amtrak facility. He also worked to insure the Florida train was kept.

Transportation seemed to be his area. He also lobbied hard to keep the lower Wabash navigable and forced Illinois Central to keep the swing mechanism  on the Wabash bridge, even though they put new rail in which prevented it from being swung. Idea was that if anyone did want to put barges on the southern Wabash the swing bridge could be easily restored. Of course that was 50 years ago and no one has but at the time it was something he was proud of.

Maybe he was just a fan of lost causes?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 06:48:44 PM by Sharky1 »
There a fine line between a 'hobby' and a 'mental illness'.

MoPac

« Reply #261 on: June 16, 2019, 08:25:13 PM »
Isn't the resolution a multi-state approach that results in trains to both Louisville and Cincinnati?  Given that, why not work with the other states, especially the State of Illinois, to obtain federal funds to upgrade the tracks over the lightly used tracks once used by the old NYC from Lafayette?  Work with CN to add capacity along the Mainline of Mid-America.  If it's going to be successful, you need to make it accessible to those that live on the northside of Indianapolis and Hamilton County.  It's where the greatest concentration of business and leisure travelers reside.  People won't drive 30-45 minutes in the opposite direction to catch the train in downtown Indianapolis.  Up the old NYC with a station at the old Rock Island refinery and then down the median of I-865 to catch a lightly used CSX up to Frankfort with a westward turn on the Norfolk Southern over to Lafayette.  Brownsburg and Crawfordsville don't move the needle for passengers or travel time.

Bob Durnell

• President
« Reply #262 on: June 16, 2019, 09:00:50 PM »
By 1971, when Amtrak began, no full scale passenger facilities were available in the Chicago area.  All had either been eliminated, seriously downgraded or taken over by a forerunner of Metra.  It's hard to believe but the Pennsy facility in Beech Grove was the only one left in the Midwest.

I'm talking about A railroad shop facility, not necessarily a passenger facility.   Surely there had to be something in Chicago that would have fit the bill.   Didn't the forerunner of Metra start AFTER Amtrak anyway?  By the time Amtrak took over, how much (if any) passenger car work was Beech Grove even doing?  I believe some locomotive overhaul work was done there after the PC merger.  Supposedly they are the ones that removed all of the special equipment on one of the Madison Hill SD7s that almost caused it to end up in the Ohio River.

xgap

• President
« Reply #263 on: June 16, 2019, 10:44:59 PM »
Wiki says," Amtrak purchased the facility from the bankrupt Penn Central in 1975"
Any additional info on a PC SD almost in the river?

Bob Durnell

• President
« Reply #264 on: June 16, 2019, 11:13:51 PM »
Wiki says," Amtrak purchased the facility from the bankrupt Penn Central in 1975"
Any additional info on a PC SD almost in the river?

So yeah, one would think Amtrak could have found a more strategically located facility between 1971 and 1975.  The SD7 story as I know it goes like this.  The Pennsy purchased two specially equipped SD7s to to work the Madison Hill Line.  They had dynamic brakes (maybe extended range), oversized air compressors, rail washers and maybe more.  After the PC merger, these units were assigned to Beech Grove for a maintenance base, or at least sent there for overhauls.   When one of the two showed up for overhaul, The former NYC shop people, unaccustomed to such units and unfamiliar with their special requirements, supposedly stripped it of all of the non-standard parts, overhauled it with standard items,  and sent it back to Madison.  The engine crew, unaware of the "modifications", started down the hill with some sort of heavy load and the train almost got completely away from them.

rrnut282

• President
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
« Reply #265 on: June 18, 2019, 12:44:29 PM »
Remember , Bob, railroads AVOIDED siting large facilities like system shops on valuable real estate.  Chicago was the end of the line for almost every railroad.  They would do just enough to turn and burn back into the heart of "their system" where the big shop was more likely located. 
rrnut2-8-2
(Mike)

IndyHog

• Superintendent
« Reply #266 on: June 18, 2019, 01:08:26 PM »
I guess the Pullman Shops complex could have been used but I don't think it was available then.
Meet the new boss, he's the same as the old boss......wait a minute, He's much worse

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #267 on: June 24, 2019, 12:32:24 PM »
I was asked about the Hoosier State and the State ending it on June 30th. Has there been anything else said about the Hoosier State and the possibility of keeping it operating?

BourdonBoy

• President
  • A conductor of both kinds.
« Reply #268 on: June 24, 2019, 01:03:52 PM »
No. This Sunday 6/30/19 is the last day it will operate, period.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk