Author Topic: Amtrak Hoosier State Funding on the chopping block?  (Read 14254 times)

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
Re: Amtrak Hoosier State Funding on the chopping block?
« Reply #240 on: May 31, 2019, 09:16:45 PM »
Well lets put it this way then. Who in their Right Mind would want to take a Bus Up I 65 to Chicago on One of the Worst Sections of Interstates in the State of Indiana and take a Chance of getting Stuck in Traffic for Hours due to an accident. Happens all the time from around Lebanon North.

Since youíre a staunch supporter, I ask this.

Since the reinstatement of the HS in the mid 90ís, how many times did you ride it?

Since the reinstatement of the HS in the mid 90ís, how many trips to the greater Chicagoland area have you taken?

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #241 on: May 31, 2019, 10:54:47 PM »
Me and the Wife would ride it up to Chicago a Couple of Times a Year until see fell and Broke her Back. Don't think for one Minute that if she was Able to make the Trip that we wouldn't take the HS to Chicago. And Since You brought this up, Just How Many Times Have You Taken Amtrak To Chicago?

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
« Reply #242 on: June 01, 2019, 12:45:39 AM »
Me and the Wife would ride it up to Chicago a Couple of Times a Year until see fell and Broke her Back. Don't think for one Minute that if she was Able to make the Trip that we wouldn't take the HS to Chicago. And Since You brought this up, Just How Many Times Have You Taken Amtrak To Chicago?

3 times from Indy/Lafayette since 1999.  But Iím not the one railing about keeping the train on.

I think 3 from Garrett when I would board with the crew.  Always purchased a ticket for the Nappannee station when we did.  Even though crew said we could ride for free.

Other time we visited family in Dyer.  Took Metra Electric in. Took south shore from South Bend once.

coal road

• Fireman
« Reply #243 on: June 01, 2019, 08:31:19 AM »
Its funny just how many people act like I-65 is a horrible road.  Nowhere near the problems or delays on 65 that I see in other areas I drive.

laker2555

• Conductor
« Reply #244 on: June 13, 2019, 01:19:31 PM »
IndyStar article today on the last run of the Hoosier State.  Cliff notes are: Train is not as fast as driving, Amtrak points the finger at state funding, other options of getting to Chicago, and INDOT points the finger at declining ridership. 

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/2019/06/13/hoosier-state-train-ends-june-30-what-means-you/1263927001/

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #245 on: June 13, 2019, 10:32:07 PM »
Funding for Transportation in this State Sucks. Lets pay for a Highway that Makes Nothing and Get The Crap Taxed Out of Us For What. Nothing.  Lets Cut a Passenger Train that May Not bring in a Lot of Money, But does bring in Something. Smart Move Indiana. Why don't Those Clowns in the State and Federal Governments Just Cut All the Passenger Trains. That's where they are Heading.

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
« Reply #246 on: June 13, 2019, 11:40:30 PM »
Funding for Transportation in this State Sucks. Lets pay for a Highway that Makes Nothing and Get The Crap Taxed Out of Us For What. Nothing.  Lets Cut a Passenger Train that May Not bring in a Lot of Money, But does bring in Something. Smart Move Indiana. Why don't Those Clowns in the State and Federal Governments Just Cut All the Passenger Trains. That's where they are Heading.

Iíll bite.

Whatís your formula for the Hoosier State bringing in money, when the highways donít bring in any money?

Cause...I sure see a lot of trucks getting off I-70 in Plainfield, and a lot of people working at distribution center jobs.  Fairly certain your math is off on that statement, but curious to see you run the numbers.

Bob Durnell

• President
« Reply #247 on: June 14, 2019, 08:12:44 AM »

Not to beat the dead horse, but you have it exactly backwards.  It is the passenger trains that bring in nothing.  As I have said here more than once, if Amtrak long distance disappears tomorrow, 98% of the population doesn't even know it happened unless they happened to catch the news story.  Without the highway and road system, you would be living in a mud hut in the woods and eating squirrels. EVERY SINGLE THING you see around you got there at least in part because of the highway system.  98% of us need those roads and highways to get to work every day.   I have never needed a passenger train a single day in my life.

Peoria Man

• Engineer
« Reply #248 on: June 14, 2019, 10:21:56 AM »
...a Passenger Train that May Not bring in a Lot of Money, But does bring in Something.

Obviously it brings in a lot of intangibles.  Things that can't be quantified. 

Or bedbugs.

Bob Durnell

• President
« Reply #249 on: June 14, 2019, 11:36:14 AM »
Obviously it brings in a lot of intangibles.  Things that can't be quantified. 

Or bedbugs.

True, but we are talking intangibles by the shovel full VS intangibles by the dump truck load.

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #250 on: June 14, 2019, 03:27:03 PM »
Wonder why I am so against the State getting Rid of the Hoosier State. Could it be that I Worked at the Amtrak Beech Grove Shops? Could that be the Real Reason. Maybe so.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 04:39:09 PM by trainmaster53 »

IU_Tower

• Mogul
« Reply #251 on: June 14, 2019, 06:21:07 PM »
Wonder why I am so against the State getting Rid of the Hoosier State. Could it be that I Worked at the Amtrak Beech Grove Shops? Could that be the Real Reason. Maybe so.

If that is so, then rejoice in the fact that Amtrak is still going strong elsewhere. Maybe the HS is just not making the cut.... there is still the Cardinal.

Bob Durnell

• President
« Reply #252 on: June 14, 2019, 06:26:38 PM »
Well, I think we had THIS discussion before too.  If the Hoosier State is the only thing keeping Beech Grove alive, then you might as well lock the doors now.   I you want to take the Indiana tax money and propose a service that actually meets a need and attracts ridership, then maybe we can revisit this issue.   But, as we have ALSO discussed, the railroad route structure of Indiana is not very conducive to passenger service, never was, and its only gotten worse since the heyday of the passenger train.   The double whammy of low population density and route structure simply don't bode well for it.  I think both Illinois and Ohio could make a FAR better case for regional passenger service than Indiana can, and that isn't saying much.

Jon

« Reply #253 on: June 14, 2019, 11:10:32 PM »
If that is so, then rejoice in the fact that Amtrak is still going strong elsewhere. Maybe the HS is just not making the cut.... there is still the Cardinal.

Wow You think the the Cardinal is going strong.  It is one of, no THE weakest performers of the LD's.  Beech Grove is definitely vulnerable. Current Amtrak CEO is a hatchet man and if he survives for another term then lookout Cardinal.

510Russ

• Dispatcher
« Reply #254 on: June 15, 2019, 04:40:04 PM »
Well, I think we had THIS discussion before too.  If the Hoosier State is the only thing keeping Beech Grove alive, then you might as well lock the doors now.   I you want to take the Indiana tax money and propose a service that actually meets a need and attracts ridership, then maybe we can revisit this issue.   But, as we have ALSO discussed, the railroad route structure of Indiana is not very conducive to passenger service, never was, and its only gotten worse since the heyday of the passenger train.   The double whammy of low population density and route structure simply don't bode well for it.  I think both Illinois and Ohio could make a FAR better case for regional passenger service than Indiana can, and that isn't saying much.

What!?! You mean Beech Grove really ISN'T a front for a FEMA Concentration Camp?

;)

-- Russ

Bob Durnell

• President
« Reply #255 on: June 15, 2019, 08:52:07 PM »
I guess that's a question you should ask Trainmaster 53!  ;)  If it really WAS that, then I guess those jobs are safe.  As great as having Amtrak at Beech Grove all of these years, I was always amazed that Amtrak couldn't have found a more suitable location in Chicago that would have have met their needs far more than the Grove ever has.  Even for the trains that do and have passed through Indy, the Grove is off the beaten path.

rrnut282

• President
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
« Reply #256 on: June 15, 2019, 10:01:15 PM »
Not to beat the dead horse, but you have it exactly backwards.  It is the passenger trains that bring in nothing.  As I have said here more than once, if Amtrak long distance disappears tomorrow, 98% of the population doesn't even know it happened unless they happened to catch the news story.  Without the highway and road system, you would be living in a mud hut in the woods and eating squirrels. EVERY SINGLE THING you see around you got there at least in part because of the highway system.  98% of us need those roads and highways to get to work every day.   I have never needed a passenger train a single day in my life.
Great arguement, unless you are the 2%
rrnut2-8-2
(Mike)

IndyHog

• Superintendent
« Reply #257 on: June 15, 2019, 10:13:38 PM »
 As I see it the real problem is the early morning departure time and the slow and unpredictable going from Dyer to Chicago. Back in the 90's Amtrak had a better route and running time was just over 4 hrs consistently. Since that time Amtrak has re-routed to a slower, longer route in Chicago. CSX has also downgraded the speeds on the Crawfordsville and Monon subs. Unless Amtrak can reroute to the CN-IC and pay CSX to upgrade their tracks I fear the Hoosier State is history.

Meet the new boss, he's the same as the old boss......wait a minute, He's much worse

ckpcpqq

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #258 on: June 16, 2019, 05:22:59 PM »
As great as having Amtrak at Beech Grove all of these years, I was always amazed that Amtrak couldn't have found a more suitable location in Chicago that would have have met their needs far more than the Grove ever has.  Even for the trains that do and have passed through Indy, the Grove is off the beaten path.

By 1971, when Amtrak began, no full scale passenger facilities were available in the Chicago area.  All had either been eliminated, seriously downgraded or taken over by a forerunner of Metra.  It's hard to believe but the Pennsy facility in Beech Grove was the only one left in the Midwest.

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #259 on: June 16, 2019, 06:15:53 PM »
If you are talking about the Beech Grove Shops. That is the Old New York Shops. The Shelbyville Secondary is the Old NYC Line.