Author Topic: NYC M-497 Jet Train Presentation  (Read 235 times)

Eel_River

• Chief Dispatcher
  • I'm a Hoosier railfan!
NYC M-497 Jet Train Presentation
« on: January 04, 2019, 08:44:27 PM »
This presentation will be at the National Automotive & Truck Museum (NATMUS), behind the ACD Museum on S. Wayne St., Auburn.

Sunday, January 27, 2:00 p.m. It's free and open to the public.

It has been 52 years since M-497 set the still-standing rail speed record in the U.S., 183.85 MPH. It actually ran more than 190, but 183.85 was the fastest trap speed on the second run.

Craig Berndt

IU_Tower

• Mogul
Re: NYC M-497 Jet Train Presentation
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 11:37:01 PM »
5200 pounds of thrust each from those buggers, but I wager the sound was incredible. Probably comparable to a Lear 25 at takeoff power.....

Eel_River

• Chief Dispatcher
  • I'm a Hoosier railfan!
Re: NYC M-497 Jet Train Presentation
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 03:07:27 PM »
NYC said it was a cheap 10,000 HP. 

It wasn't a test of gas turbine power.  Problems with existing track were hampering PRR's high-speed Metro program, and NYC wanted to show PRR that trains could run fast on well-maintained track.  The track for the M-497 runs was checked for level and gauge, and M-497's wheels were cylinder-cut, but no other mods were made to its trucks.  It ran east on the westbound main so it would only encounter one switch and one diamond, both at Bryan, OH.

For one of the runs we stood near the track in Edgerton, OH, not quite 5 miles from the starting point.  It was fingers-in-your-ears loud and we were also ballast-blasted. 

NYC had guards at every crossing to stop vehicles since the lights and crossing arms couldn't actuate fast enough.  I recall the lights turning on and off once or twice.

Note the Dymo labels below on the pilot's control panel, and the type of power on the monthly inspection report.

Craig