Author Topic: Scanner Frequencies For Valparaiso Area?  (Read 735 times)

duke2010

• Brakeman
Scanner Frequencies For Valparaiso Area?
« on: December 31, 2018, 07:32:35 PM »
Hi, new member here.  Just dug my scanner out from storage after many years and am trying to hear something.....I am in Valparaiso and have the CN very close to me and the NS and CFE aren't too far away either.  Any suggestions on what frequencies I should store?  Should I expect to hear anything here?  For what it's worth I have a Uniden Bearcat 200XLT.  Thanks in advance!

trafficcritic

• Dispatcher
Re: Scanner Frequencies For Valparaiso Area?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 08:51:03 PM »
Hi and welcome!  If I am not mistaken CN south bend line uses channel 32 which is 160.59 MHz and channel 28 (160.53).  The NS chicago district is 92 (160.49 MHz) and I have no idea about CF&E. A good antenna at the highest elevation possible is the best key to picking up the radio!  Good luck!

Here are a couple pages I use for reference

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?aid=1936

http://kohlin.com/freq/AAR_freqs.htm

hibbard

• Dispatcher
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 10:01:27 PM »
The CF&E is dispatched by the NS Chicago District dispatcher on the same frequency of the Chicago District.

DRLOCO

• Dispatcher
  • That's Real Nice!
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 01:04:19 AM »
...which I believe to be AAR channel 92...
Professional Locomotive Engineer and train nerd with most social skills.

mononradio

• Conductor
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 01:35:36 PM »
46 is the old NS channel before the Elkhart split was made taking a chunk out of the middle on 34, but I think that there may still be some usage around the area.
Certainly it is still very active over toward Chicago, and east of Elkhart.  Their towers on 34 and 46 are really powerful, and you might get the dispatcher at least.
Likewise 8/14 for CSX, 93 Amtrak and 35 for CSX up the road by the lakefront.
When I am running around I always keep 12 and 84, the Monon channels going, and it is amazing how much stuff comes in on those channels as you drive north.
16 is the yard channel that CN got when they took over the EJ&E, so it pops up a lot too.
And don't forget 72 and 54, the CN channels south of Chicago.
It is not uncommon for workers to have them in their radios system-wide, and switch over to them for "private" conversations or when they wanna get off the main channel.

If you slap a mag-mount antenna on the roof of your vehicle, it seems like there is something on just about every channel.

duke2010

• Brakeman
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 10:14:42 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I will program those in.  I guess I need to hit the road and get closer to the action or get an external antenna.  I am hearing nothing at all here.  I guess I was spoiled in Houston I lived right next to the HB&T and could sit on the couch with handheld and rubber duck antenna and listen all day long.  Plus, since the scanner has been stored for years I need to make sure it is even working correctly.  I am not even hearing much in the way of public service communications.....

mononradio

• Conductor
Narrow Band?
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2019, 09:36:24 AM »
If your older scanner is still set up for wide-band reception, the audio quality and "volume" levels will be lower on most received signals.
But to make sure it is working at all, just try one of the national weather service NOAA radio frequencies, as they are still wide band as far as I know, and operate with huge amounts of transmitter power.

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 11:03:37 PM »
If your older scanner is still set up for wide-band reception, the audio quality and "volume" levels will be lower on most received signals.
But to make sure it is working at all, just try one of the national weather service NOAA radio frequencies, as they are still wide band as far as I know, and operate with huge amounts of transmitter power.
Narrow band definitely a down grade from when it was wide band as far as radio to radio transmissions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

duke2010

• Brakeman
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2019, 06:54:25 PM »
Thanks,  when I turned it on last week, I heard two transmissions:  Local fire and the sheriff.  Since then.....nothing.  Sat next to CN for an hour today and had the scanner on.  Nothing at all.  No rail, no law, no weather.  I don't know, maybe it's toasted.

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2019, 09:07:59 PM »
Invest in a good antenna.  If you are just using the rubber duck antenna that came with it, those only have a range of a couple miles at most.  Goes for the radios conductors carry too, not just scanners.

trafficcritic

• Dispatcher
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2019, 11:47:02 AM »
I would also recommend programming 452.9375 into your scanner. This is the headend telemetry radio channel. When a train is approaching you will hear a short chirping/digital transmission on that frequency about every 30-45 seconds or so.

duke2010

• Brakeman
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2019, 10:21:29 PM »
Thanks.  The antenna I have was purchased back in the '90's from a place that catered to railfans and was specially cut for the railroad band and I have 452 plugged in and still nothing.  I am probably 1/4 mile from the CN so I will keep it on and see if I hear chirping.  My concern is I am hearing nothing at all.....

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2019, 11:12:52 AM »
I have a handheld bearcat 92xlt I purchased back in 2003 and it has a short rubber antenna and I can still pick up the yard and road transmissions from my house 5 miles away. 

duke2010

• Brakeman
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2019, 11:01:04 AM »
I have a handheld bearcat 92xlt I purchased back in 2003 and it has a short rubber antenna and I can still pick up the yard and road transmissions from my house 5 miles away. 

Thanks @Rick  that's what makes me think we have a problem......I'll mess around with it today.