Author Topic: Hoppers & Tankers & Boxcars (HO Scale) G.A.F. Michigan City  (Read 321 times)

Carroll Avenue

• Brakeman
Hoppers & Tankers & Boxcars (HO Scale) G.A.F. Michigan City
« on: December 20, 2018, 02:45:25 PM »
Hi,
Could anyone advise which models I can obtain that are suitable for CSS Freight to switch at G.A.F. please.
That way I can import some from the USA, into the UK.
It's just that after Shipping & Taxes + Royal Mail Handling charges - I would like to get it right or as close too, if possible.
Thanks, Paul

Michael Sharp

Re: Hoppers & Tankers & Boxcars (HO Scale) G.A.F. Michigan City
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 03:22:18 PM »
Looking at Google Maps, I found that there were about a dozen tank cars, all seemed to have "PROCCOR" name on the side.  There must have been close to 2 dozen covered hoppers with a multiple of owners and styles.  Finally, there were a dozen box cars that looked like they were located along a long outdoor dock for loading?  Hope that helps some.

Mike

Birdog357

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2018, 09:10:28 AM »
If I remember, next time I'm up there I'll try and get some pics for you. It's pretty cool that someone in England is modelling the CSS&SB. Are you going to have NICTD trains too?

Carroll Avenue

• Brakeman
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 03:39:03 PM »
Hi Birdog,
Thanks for your offer of assistance. Yes please for the photos and if there is a way of relating these to HO models that are available, all the better.
I have planned to import some 'Model Island Works' Gallery & Single Level cars - just need to save some more cash.
In Britain - due generally a lack of space for Model Railroads, our Track-plans by tradition, go around the walls of our room, with an operating well in the middle.
Until I started reading 'Model Railroader', things like a Peninsular jutting-out into the centre, never even occurred to me.
My room-space is 12.5' x 11.5', it's the most I've ever had!
I sometimes regret not giving greater consideration to N-gauge and being so automatically dismissive of it. In it's early days, British 'N' was so chronic, it put me off forever.
Now British outline has improved a lot, but still not up to the standard of American N, which is spot-on (I reckon, at least)
Not just quality & detail, the Value-for-Money that you have in the USA is far greater than here in the UK.
I imported 4 No. (HO, 12V.DC) Atlas GP 38#2 + 2 No. Athearn SW1200's and even after Shipping, Import-duty and good-old Royal Mail 'handling charges', it still worked-out cheaper than buying them from UK Model Shops stocking USA Outline.

Birdog357

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2018, 07:51:44 PM »
I can't help you with Horribly Oversized models ;D as I am in N scale but I can try get you some pics of the real thing sometime.

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 08:13:51 PM »
I only see three businesses that the ccs freight work.  One is a scrap yard and they load into boxcars.  The other is a steel supply company I believe and a grain company delivering anhydrous ammonia via tank cars.  Iíll try and take a better look at what sizes they specifically use.  I donít have the opportunity to take any pics though. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk