Author Topic: layout Question?  (Read 358 times)

hobodano

• Engineer
  • Retired Sou/NS
layout Question?
« on: November 22, 2018, 08:24:14 PM »
Layout question?
Found my old HO Brass Track 48” wide 60” long plywood board with 18” radius plus 1 straight rail for (36 + 9) 45” wide outside loop. I made a smaller inner loop 15” radius plus 1 straight rail for (30 + 9) 39” wide. I would like to connect the two somehow for two trains or the ability to change tracks. with code 100 single crossovers, if possible, similar to attached photo. I’ve seen it done with a “double crossover”. Wow, $80 bucks used on eBay. I noticed the crossovers have sizes to them (#6 or #4). Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Trying to get buy cheap this year for Grandson, will upgrade next year (track and DCC loco’s). Thanks in advance! Just an outer and inner loop, no other tracks.

Fairly familiar with southern Indiana trackage

LIRCfan1094

• President
Re: layout Question?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2018, 09:44:39 PM »
All you need is two #6 left hand or right hand Atlas turnouts to make a pretty cheap crossover
Similar to this just do a quick eBay search https://www.ebay.com/itm/Atlas-Code-100-6-Turnout-RH-Nickel-Silver-MK4-HO-284/292773016484?hash=item442aa1b3a4:g:WuYAAOSw1cdbxODJ

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2018, 09:46:19 PM »
Not sure what cost would be now, but you can make your own double crossover with 4 switches and a diamond too.

hobodano

• Engineer
  • Retired Sou/NS
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2018, 10:01:30 PM »
Great! Thanks to both LIRC AND CSX for the help..will check it out!

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2018, 10:10:03 PM »
Atlas used to have a layout book that showed the different configurations you could make from theircsnap track. Double crossover was in there I believe.

High_Hood

• Fireman
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2018, 09:49:49 AM »
Now they have free software that lets you play with layout configurations

hobodano

• Engineer
  • Retired Sou/NS
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2018, 08:28:32 PM »
Not sure what cost would be now, but you can make your own double crossover with 4 switches and a diamond too.

Excuse my lack of HO terminology, but by diamond are you referring to an angular crossing like photo below, sometimes called a crossing?  I would like to build my own, so would you briefly describe what #4 LH or RH switches to get or will #6 work?  Photo on eBay shows Atlas 19 degree crossing track only $6. Thanks in advance!

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2018, 10:01:33 PM »
That’s correct. Forgot Atlas called them a “crossing”.  Railroad term is diamond.

Not sure what track would be needed off hand.  See if you can search for Atlas snap track templates.

hobodano

• Engineer
  • Retired Sou/NS
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2018, 10:12:36 AM »
Thanks a million CSX_CO! Now I know what to look for and will look for templates or experiment with track to match-up with inner loop.

CSX2605

• Mogul
  • Remember the Semaphores!
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2018, 11:55:25 AM »
I would encourage you to hit a train show or two over the next several months.  I try to hit the one in Indy if time & weather cooperate.  I'm old fashioned, I like to talk to people face to face.   ;)
The Central Indiana Division of the National Model RR association usually has a layout running and are more than happy to talk to you about a small layout. For that matter, anyone up there will answer questions you may have as well as on this board.

hobodano

• Engineer
  • Retired Sou/NS
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2018, 04:13:43 PM »
Thanks again for the tips! Rode the jointed rails as a kid, drove the “ribbon” rails for 40 yrs but..but…but this HO switch, turnout, and crossover terminology drives me crazy… ;DLOL So, I didn’t explain myself very well…this is one scenario I’m looking at to connect 2 tracks paralleling each other. I’ll checkout some train shows and figure it out. Thanks again!
I see Noblesville, Indy, and Evansville shows scheduled early 2019.