Author Topic: Hi there  (Read 1006 times)

Carroll Avenue

• Brakeman
Hi there
« on: November 14, 2018, 03:57:30 PM »
I got hooked on USA Railroads a while ago.
Then I came across a photo of Beverly Shores Station! I sold all of my British Outline OO Scale gear.
The CSS & NICTD Street-running is fantastic. Nothing like it would ever be allowed in England.
As soon as I get this new (to us) house decorated - I will be allowed to start building my HO scale Layout and I can't wait.
I hope no one minds if I ask questions re Railroad Modelling. I have to import Loco's & Stock direct from the USA and I cannot afford to make mistakes.
Best regards to all, Carroll Ave

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
Re: Hi there
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 07:04:56 PM »
Welcome to the site.  There is a lot of model rr knowledge people on here.  Congratulations on the new house. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScottFlood

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 08:37:05 AM »
Glad to have you here and ask away!

rrnut282

• Mogul
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 01:13:54 PM »
Your post makes sound like you hail from the UK.  If you don't mind answering, is that correct?
rrnut2-8-2
(Mike)

Carroll Avenue

• Brakeman
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 02:09:51 PM »
Hi rrnut282,
I tried replying to your message Nov 24th, but I can't seem to make it thru security.
Better luck this time.
Yep, I am in little old England, not far from the Scottish Border.
EMD Class 66's go right past our house working freights along the East Coast Mainline
The train lengths are a bit shorter though!
Paul

Russ Schwartz

• Dispatcher
Hi, Carroll Avenue!
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 05:49:44 PM »
Welcome to the Board, Carroll Avenue!

I'm a big fan of the Liverpool Overhead Railway.  I hope to model it in the Trainz simulator someday.

A few years back, I got to ride the Llangollen Railway -- very nice.

-- Russ

Carroll Avenue

• Brakeman
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2018, 02:51:40 PM »
Hi Russ,
I've visited the Llangollen Railway a couple of times when I'm on annual vacation in North Wales.
If the weather is good I go walking in the Hills & Mountains.
If the weather is poor, there are all the preserved Narrow-gauge Railways to visit and the Cambrian Coast line is good too.
Between Llwyngwril and Fairbourne the railway builders took the line high onto the Friog cliffs, above the sea.
There is a Stone Shelter, built to protect the line from rock falls.
The few Google images, show one of the few railways in the UK with features similar to those of the USA.
Paul

Russ Schwartz

• Dispatcher
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2018, 08:05:20 PM »
Hi, Paul!

You wrote,

If the weather is good I go walking in the Hills & Mountains.

Yes!  The day we rode the train, we started out by following the towpath along the canal that parallels the River Dee.  At one point, we left it, wandered through some hills, and came out by the ruins of an abbey.  There was a restaurant next door and we had a very nice lunch.  Then we hiked back to Llangollen via various roads and then took the train.  We were lucky to have such a nice day, as there had been very heavy rains the previous few days, and Aberystwyth [I had to look up the spelling!] had seen some serious flooding.

Next stop on the bucket list: Yorkshire. :)

-- Russ

rrnut282

• Mogul
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2018, 01:47:15 PM »
Hi rrnut282,
I tried replying to your message Nov 24th, but I can't seem to make it thru security.
Better luck this time.
EMD Class 66's go right past our house working freights along the East Coast Mainline
Paul
Thought I recognized your accent.   ;)
If you want to talk about trains, you're welcome here. (most of the time, I can't speak for everyone)
rrnut2-8-2
(Mike)

IndyKing

• Mogul
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2018, 08:04:18 PM »
Hi Paul, welcome to the group.  This is a great site and there is a wealth of information available, both from those with first hand experience, as well as others (like me) for whom railroads are a hobby.

Ahh, the land of Stottie cake and pease pudding... never quite the same after the departure of the Deltics, Class 46's, and Class 47's, and the subsequent closure of Gateshead TMD. :'(
Cheers, Al