Author Topic: B&W film scanning  (Read 721 times)

Cmdr_Suds

• Superintendent
  • Notch eight and sanding!
B&W film scanning
« on: September 22, 2018, 10:25:37 PM »
Does anyone out there have the ability to scan 8x10 B&W film? 
I have just come across a quantity of high quality B&W 8x10 negatives of steam era locomotives, coaches and various equipment. 
CSX CE&D Sub
"No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced."

StateLine-IndianaCity

• Brakeman
Re: B&W film scanning
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 08:20:13 AM »
Seems to me that an ordinary flatbed scanner could do the job.  Let your favorite image processing software do the negative to positive transformation.

Cmdr_Suds

• Superintendent
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 05:17:51 PM »
Negatives require backlighting.  I have a flatbad that will do negatives but only 35 mm film strips.  The lid has a narrow backlight down the middle of the lid.  Plus the software that came with it only will look at that narrow strip if it thinks your doing negatives.  Another problem with normal scanners is the reflective light from the front will wash out the image.  So I really need a scanner that will do 8x10 negatives.
CSX CE&D Sub
"No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced."

Kim_Heusel

• Superintendent
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2018, 09:34:59 PM »
If you can't find someone to do it, look at the Epson V700 or V800 models. Both have capability to scan 8x10 negatives, but they aren't cheap.

Kim Heusel

StateLine-IndianaCity

• Brakeman
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 12:42:48 PM »
Negatives require backlighting.
Good point, and correct.  I should have given my answer a bit more thought.

Howard Pletcher

• Dispatcher
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2018, 09:23:04 PM »
Build a light table to put the negatives on and photograph them with a good camera.  The result may not be as good as a real scan, but it will be useable and a heck of a lot cheaper.

Cmdr_Suds

• Superintendent
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 09:39:44 PM »
Just update for anyone who cares.  I found out that my local library has an Epson V850 scanner.  I went in today and quickly scanned a few of the negatives.  Here are a few samples.
CSX CE&D Sub

CSX2605

• Mogul
  • Remember the Semaphores!
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2019, 06:46:30 AM »
Those a great!  Just wish we knew the location.

hibbard

• Dispatcher
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2019, 07:53:16 AM »
No idea where the Pennsy train is.

The bridge is the NKP Rocky River viaduct in July 1882, shown in the Nickel Plate Story on page 26.

NKP 776 Lima builders photo

NKP 703 Alco builders photo, page 234 NKP Story

Cmdr_Suds

• Superintendent
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2019, 12:00:34 PM »
I found the negatives at an antique store.  About 50 of them.  Most are of NKP equipment.  I think some of them were used in the book, The Nickle Plate Story.
CSX CE&D Sub