Author Topic: Vandalia Railroad  (Read 1174 times)

LJ

• President
  • The train's are on their way back!!!!
Vandalia Railroad
« on: August 02, 2008, 12:20:41 AM »
How about a view up the former Vandalia R.R. at Grass Creek,IN. during late winter of 2006. You can see the old grain elevator to the right.

LJ

• President
  • The train's are on their way back!!!!
Re: Vandalia Railroad
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 12:23:12 AM »
A view of the old Grass Creek depot before it was moved to the town park.

JGN

• Superintendent
  • Interested in all Rail History!
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 04:54:08 AM »
The depot is looking much better these days after some rehabilitation. I have a shot from right after they moved it to the park and had finished their work fixing it back up. If I find it, I will post it(if somebody doesn't beat me to it again, hehe). While heading towards Kewanna or other points North, I always look back to the West shortly after the line crosses SR 17 North of Logansport to see the old wooden trestle that barely remains along a ditch in the middle of a open field, as it amazes me it is still  there to this day. Thanks again for sharing LJ, Jay

wolfeden

• Conductor
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 01:19:11 AM »
The depot is looking much better these days after some rehabilitation. I have a shot from right after they moved it to the park and had finished their work fixing it back up. If I find it, I will post it(if somebody doesn't beat me to it again, hehe). While heading towards Kewanna or other points North, I always look back to the West shortly after the line crosses SR 17 North of Logansport to see the old wooden trestle that barely remains along a ditch in the middle of a open field, as it amazes me it is still  there to this day. Thanks again for sharing LJ, Jay

If you don't post those Grass Creek depot pictures pretty soon, I am going to post mine. Anyone that pays a visit to Grass Creek will be amazed at how nice the woodwork inside the depot turned out. I know a few of the Lion members there and they are true craftsman at wood restoration. The pot belly stove sits in the waiting room right next to the ticket window.

That old trestle does look a little lonely out there all by itself, can't miss it.

Thanks jay :)

JGN

• Superintendent
  • Interested in all Rail History!
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 01:50:41 AM »
I found one! Yep, I got sidetracked and forgot to update, sorry. :o You can see quite a difference in comparing with the photo posted above. Enjoy, Jay

blue2golf

• Superintendent
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 08:18:53 PM »
Nice to see somebody cares about Hoosier rail history.  There are plenty of old depots that could use the same restorative attention, such as this one...

http://indianarailroads.org/board/index.php?topic=437.msg9097#msg9097

No train expert here fellas, just your average history buff...

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 10:17:26 PM »
As an aside, the old C&EI freight house in Clinton, IN still stands and is in much of the same sad shape.  I would love to restore the building and make it into a workshop and living quarters.  Place a couple of old 40' box cars outside for additional storage painted in C&EI or Monon Colors and you'd have quite the 'converstation' piece.

Problem is, its located in Clinton, IN.  I have no reason to live there at this current point in my life.  Oh well...at least the city realizes the historical significance of the building, and are taking steps to make sure it doesn't deteriorate any further.  The restored depot sits across the street, and looks great.

Practice Safe CSX