Author Topic: NKP Trail Updates  (Read 24331 times)

Bob Durnell

• President
Re: NKP Trail Updates
« Reply #320 on: August 06, 2019, 12:02:25 PM »
It doesn't matter how much it costs as long as you are sucking up to the "COOL" people.   Why have anything interesting or original when you can just be a sheep and follow your big brother Carmel?

Wema

• Dispatcher
  • A Rail History Nut
« Reply #321 on: September 12, 2019, 09:49:40 PM »
Construction of Nickel Plate Trail delayed until spring 2020

https://www.ibj.com/articles/construction-of-nickel-plate-trail-to-kick-off-in-spring

Construction of the Nickel Plate Trail in Fishers isnít likely to begin until spring 2020, Mayor Scott Fadness told IBJ on Wednesday.

The city had hoped to begin construction this fall, but leaders are still finalizing designs for the tunnel at 116th Street and considering related development plans for amenities along the trail.

The project, originally announced in February 2017, will convert the Nickel Plate Railroad line into a recreational trail from 96th Street in Fishers to Pleasant Street in Noblesville.
Story Continues Below

Last year, the city of Fishers approved a property tax increase to help generate funding for the project and announced it planned to begin construction of the first phase of the trail from 106th Street to 126th Street this fall.

The railroad tracks in Fishers have already been removed to facilitate the project.

crblue

• Dispatcher
« Reply #322 on: September 13, 2019, 07:18:03 AM »
I follow a local bicycle group on Facebook. Reading the comments here about the Nickel Plate Trail and then reading the comments there from bicyclists is a bit amusing. The two groups, railfans and cyclists, couldn't be further apart. And, you should know, the cyclists have some pretty negative things to say about the railfans who were fighting the trail.

BourdonBoy

• President
  • A conductor of both kinds.
« Reply #323 on: September 13, 2019, 07:44:10 AM »
To that I say "too bad". It was a railroad first. Bicycles can be ridden anywhere (and I myself ride) but trains of any type can only go where there are tracks.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

AlcoGuy

• Dispatcher
« Reply #324 on: October 03, 2019, 06:45:35 PM »
Apparently, the tracks from 96th down to 22nd St while unbolted, still remain intact with no salvage crews anywhere around and appears all work has stopped. So what's up?

scraphauler

• Tycoon
  • Oberfeldwebel Hans Scraphauler
« Reply #325 on: October 03, 2019, 07:10:31 PM »
Donít know, BUT, could be scrap prices putting a delay on things.  Scrap market SUCKS right now - down another $20 plus for Oct.  Unless contract calls specifically for an end date, why not let it lay for a few month until prices rebound
The opinions, views, and incoherent ramblings presented here do not necessarily represent the view point of any company I work for or own,  any logical thinking being, or even me.

laker2555

• Conductor
« Reply #326 on: November 08, 2019, 07:55:58 AM »
The northbound approach light to 116th St. has seen better days, as has this once busy mainline.  Haven't seen A&K around for weeks now.  Most of the stick rail from 96th street north is lying on the sides of the ROW however it appears A&K took most of the joint bars.  All of the road crossings still have rail through them and stop signs up, much to the frustration of local motorists who, from my observation are starting to ignore them.  From 96th St. south to the end of track still remains unbolted but in place. 

And for the record (since I was on the bike that day) I was not in favor of the trail, plenty of space to ride out here without this particular trail.  Just giving an update since its been awhile.

AlcoGuy

• Dispatcher
« Reply #327 on: November 08, 2019, 09:05:14 AM »
Thanks for the update. Something is going on as all track removal has been suspended indefinitely for some reason.

Hemigray 42

• Engineer
« Reply #328 on: November 08, 2019, 03:23:32 PM »
I wonder if they w e re to quick to remove and now too many questions have been raised. I know save the Nicole plate group has been posting more content and cost to this project.

Sent from my LGL163BL using Tapatalk

Micah

• Fireman
  • Hoosier
« Reply #329 on: November 08, 2019, 04:07:30 PM »
I like your bike!  Actually just had to choose between a Cannondale and a Raleigh last month.  Went with the Raleigh, but don't think I could have gone wrong either way.  Yours looks fantastic.  I hadn't checked - is the master plan to pave this trail, a la The Monon?  I know out west that gravel/cinders are the norm.  How is the debris from the areas that have been pulled?

The wife and I are training this winter to take the family on a full ride of the Cardinal Greenway (old C&O) in the Spring, really looking forward to it.  I haven't ridden in 20 years, but man is it fun getting into it again!

If anyone is thinking about it, I highly encourage you to do so - put some of these rails to trails to good use.

Micah
"The past is never dead.  It's not even past."  - Faulkner

xgap

• President
« Reply #330 on: November 08, 2019, 08:27:37 PM »
To refresh, Where is the end of ownership on the southend?  Does the Port Authority retain control  where track is removed and/or does Marion County take control south of 96th? Thanks

BourdonBoy

• President
  • A conductor of both kinds.
« Reply #331 on: November 08, 2019, 11:16:52 PM »
10th Street in Indy, if I recall correctly.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk