Author Topic: NKP Trail Updates  (Read 17954 times)

IndyHog

• Superintendent
Re: NKP Trail Updates
« Reply #240 on: June 03, 2019, 11:38:29 PM »
According to this website    https://www.in.gov/indot/files/Rail_STBFilings.pdf

from 10th St (MP 1.87) to 13th St (MP 2.13) was abandoned by the N&W in 1974
Meet the new boss, he's the same as the old boss......wait a minute, He's much worse

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #241 on: June 04, 2019, 12:25:35 AM »

Looking at Google Earth 13th Street is basically the south shoulder of I-70.

So...technically...doesn’t that mean they have to retain overhead clearances?

IndyHog

• Superintendent
« Reply #242 on: June 04, 2019, 12:53:57 AM »
You would think so
Meet the new boss, he's the same as the old boss......wait a minute, He's much worse

BourdonBoy

• President
  • A conductor of both kinds.
« Reply #243 on: June 04, 2019, 08:22:15 AM »

I saw that too, and tried searching for the docket number given there. I wasn't able to find anything, but that doesn't mean it isn't there somewhere.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Hemigray 42

• Engineer
« Reply #244 on: June 04, 2019, 10:50:59 AM »
Interesting article this morning in IBJ about filing for Nickle plate and USRAIL . STB I GUESS has a rotating board so what one may rule another may do different . As it goes for this either the anwser is line sales or its over.

Sent from my LGL163BL using Tapatalk

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
« Reply #245 on: June 05, 2019, 02:47:33 AM »

Went back into the flings for the trail/purchase. They all reference MP 2.13 as southern point.

So, it would appear that the line is still “active” (albeit abandoned in 94 just never pulled up?) to a point right around I-70

IndyHog

• Superintendent
« Reply #246 on: June 05, 2019, 10:47:08 AM »
Like someone else said, it would seem they would only need the NKP down to Sutherland Ave to tie into the existing Monon trail. Apparently  the plan is to cut over at 38th st and join the Monon Trail there.

crblue

• Dispatcher
« Reply #247 on: June 05, 2019, 11:46:06 AM »
Apparently  the plan is to cut over at 38th st and join the Monon Trail there.
There's an existing trail along Fall Creek Parkway from 38th Street down to Central Avenue. It intersects with the Monon Trail at the old Monon bridge around 35th Street. Getting the NKP Trail across Fall Creek to connect with this existing trail seems like a simple matter.

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
« Reply #248 on: June 05, 2019, 01:43:37 PM »
Like someone else said, it would seem they would only need the NKP down to Sutherland Ave to tie into the existing Monon trail. Apparently  the plan is to cut over at 38th st and join the Monon Trail there.

I get that.

But people were wondering why INDOT shows the line still “in” on their north split construction plans.  I guess they don’t consider it abandoned where I-70 goes overhead.  That’s the reason for nailing down where the property ends.

Also brings up the issue that the “end of track” doesn’t appear to be at the NYC at Mass Ave/10 Th Street.  So, even if someone wanted to work with US Rail to start up direct service downtown, they’d need to buy, or work out a lease, on ~1/4th of a mile that isn’t theirs in the first place.  Or, it would have to take a long winding path to downtown with a backup move from the former DX location.

IndyHog

• Superintendent
« Reply #249 on: June 05, 2019, 02:22:09 PM »
If US Rail does buy the NKP is CSX under any obligation to repair the Belt to where US Rail could access Hawthorne Yd or INRD?

crblue

• Dispatcher
« Reply #250 on: June 05, 2019, 03:15:11 PM »
If US Rail does buy the NKP is CSX under any obligation to repair the Belt to where US Rail could access Hawthorne Yd or INRD?
It's all a long shot, but I think the best a new owner could hope for would be a eastbound switch onto CSX #2 track at DX. CSX would not want to put the diamond back in at DX.

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
« Reply #251 on: June 05, 2019, 03:26:09 PM »
It's all a long shot, but I think the best a new owner could hope for would be a eastbound switch onto CSX #2 track at DX. CSX would not want to put the diamond back in at DX.

I know CSX took the section OOS from Sherman Drive West when the last customer closed. Tracks look rough, if even there.

Now, was that section of track considered industrial or auxiliary track?  I thought I’d read that STB doesn’t govern any kind of abandonment/removals on industrial and/or auxiliary tracks.  That might have been in the filings about Hillary Yard.  So, if NE Belt was considered auxiliary track, could STB even compel CSX to reinstall it?

BourdonBoy

• President
  • A conductor of both kinds.
« Reply #252 on: June 05, 2019, 05:23:37 PM »
Went back into the flings for the trail/purchase. They all reference MP 2.13 as southern point.

So, it would appear that the line is still “active” (albeit abandoned in 94 just never pulled up?) to a point right around I-70

Looking at an old timetable, MP 3.0 is 22nd St.  A quick measurement on Google Maps therefore puts MP 2.13 right between the two pairs of I-70 overpasses.  Don't know why they don't just use 10th Street as the starting point, especially since the Monon Trail is right next to it from that point north to Sutherland Ave (between 33rd & 34th), where the Monon swings northwest.  Sutherland Ave was also the south end of the former NKP Indianapolis Yard.  The main and one siding still exist through that area.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 07:01:32 PM by BourdonBoy »

AlcoGuy

• Dispatcher
« Reply #253 on: June 07, 2019, 10:18:17 AM »
Now that Indy is "on board" with conversion to a trail, i ask when and where were all the public meetings so concerned residents, of which their are many, can voice concerns? To my knowledge their were none. Because a couple people from a neighborhood association were talked into this, that means according to one city official, the whole city of Indianapolis is "on board" with a  trail? PREPOSTEROUS! How our elected officials could even consider yet another mindless trail when the city of Indianapolis roads and infrastructure are crumbling before our very eyes, and very little is being done about it, should have residents furious and filling up officials emails, facebook and twit accounts voicing their outrage. I suggest starting with Rep Andre Carson.

Dschro

• Conductor
« Reply #254 on: June 07, 2019, 01:49:05 PM »
If you are counting on Andre Carson for anything, you might want to reconsider...

http://scribol.com/news-and-politics/politics/least-effective-members-congress/16/

AlcoGuy

• Dispatcher
« Reply #255 on: June 07, 2019, 02:18:46 PM »
I agree, he's likely to do nothing as usual, a far cry from Julia who rallied around Amtrak for years, but I believe most of the line down in Indy is in his district, correct me if I'm wrong. But he's just one in a long line of people that have some explaining to do.

nhensley

• Conductor
« Reply #256 on: June 10, 2019, 08:10:51 AM »
Now that Indy is "on board" with conversion to a trail, i ask when and where were all the public meetings so concerned residents, of which their are many, can voice concerns? To my knowledge their were none. Because a couple people from a neighborhood association were talked into this, that means according to one city official, the whole city of Indianapolis is "on board" with a  trail? PREPOSTEROUS! How our elected officials could even consider yet another mindless trail when the city of Indianapolis roads and infrastructure are crumbling before our very eyes, and very little is being done about it, should have residents furious and filling up officials emails, facebook and twit accounts voicing their outrage. I suggest starting with Rep Andre Carson.

Personally would rather see the fair train still running (and other trains in addition to that, for that matter), but the tracks go through my neighborhood in Indianapolis and most feedback on the trail from the neighborhood group has been overwhelmingly positive and seen as a positive factor in property values.  Also the trail is seen by many as a lynchpin to revamping the Castleton Mall area and would connect well with the rest of the network of trails in Indianapolis. 

Losing more of our rail system sucks bigtime, and is very shortsighted, but a trail is better than some landlocked rails overgrown with weeds. 

On the topic of crumbling infrastructure, that should be addressed too.  Not just roads, but also properly maintaining the trails we already have.  Sections of the fall creek trail are in rather rough condition.  I'd gladly pay more in taxes if it could accomplish that. 

monon_rr

• Dispatcher
« Reply #257 on: June 10, 2019, 08:54:07 AM »
Revamping the Castleton Mall area???? I have some beach front property in Kansas to sell.

nhensley

• Conductor
« Reply #258 on: June 10, 2019, 10:44:14 AM »
Revamping the Castleton Mall area???? I have some beach front property in Kansas to sell.

The area sucks, no denying that, but at least people are trying to improve it.  I ride the portion of the Monon south of 38th street all the time and always see lots of people enjoying it.  Just opinion, but I would say that area has clearly benefitted from the trail.

The suburbs of Fishers and Noblesville are the ones killed the rail line, with a strong assist from the ITM itself, not Indianapolis.  Since the Carmel-wannabe suburbs created the trail, Indianapolis might as well connect to it.   

NS7112

• Dispatcher
« Reply #259 on: June 12, 2019, 09:38:31 AM »
Looks like bids are going out soon for removal of rails...

https://twitter.com/larryinfishers/status/1138753697582858240?s=21