Author Topic: Great time on WWVRR  (Read 203 times)

Micah

• Fireman
  • Hoosier
Great time on WWVRR
« on: October 13, 2019, 07:44:01 AM »
In lieu of all the bad news surrounding Indiana train "museums," just thought I would pass along a great review of the WWVRR from yesterday. 

Every year, we charter a caboose for our family on the WWVRR.  The reservation process is a snap, and the agent is always professional, courteous, and reliable.  It has turned in to one of the highlight family outings of our year, and if you have ever considered doing a caboose trip, I highly encourage you to give it a go. 

The station in Connersville is clean, well-kept, and staffed with a pleasant full-time employee.  The loading process is organized, and the volunteers are cheerful.  The train departed and arrived on time, the scenery was beautiful as always, and everyone waves on Highway 121.  It makes for a great day. 
"The past is never dead.  It's not even past."  - Faulkner

Laguna Man

• Chief Dispatcher
Re: Great time on WWVRR
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 07:56:20 AM »
What was the cost?

Micah

• Fireman
  • Hoosier
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 09:22:44 AM »
$350; we take 20 people, so around $17.50/person.  We prefer the caboose because you have the entire car to yourself, can move around if need be, and are completely left alone. 

It helps keep 4 kiddos occupied going between the cupola, table (for snacks, etc), and the (cushioned) benches.  Yesterday was fun because we had blankets out, etc.  Ride is around an hour and 20 minutes one way. 

I'm sure the coaches are cheaper, and offer the same views (except Cupola) but you lose freedom of movement and being alone with your group talking and laughing.
"The past is never dead.  It's not even past."  - Faulkner

Cheviot_Hill

• Dispatcher
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 09:48:23 AM »
https://whitewatervalleyrr.org/
We ride the Canal Days train round trip to Metamora  just about every year.