Author Topic: Lake IOLA Scottsburg Indiana  (Read 943 times)

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
Lake IOLA Scottsburg Indiana
« on: August 21, 2018, 07:22:17 PM »
Is anyone on here familiar with Lake IOLA in Scottsburg? The Lake IOLA Location was an Overnight resting stop for Passengers traveling  between Indianapolis and Louisville on the Interurban Railway. There is a Interurban Baggage Car under Cover in the Park there. There was a Power Plant that was Constructed there that supplied Electricity to the Interurban Railroad Line from Indianapolis to Louisville. There was even a Car Barn There and the Tracks can still be seen. Only the Foundations of the Power Plant and the Car Barn Structures are Visible today. Check it out.

SemperVaporo

• Dispatcher
Re: Lake IOLA Scottsburg Indiana
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 08:01:02 PM »
Isn't that "Lake Lola"?  (-L-O-L-A-)
Semper Vaporo
Charles T. McCullough
CMBY RY

pkgs.

arobb00

• Superintendent
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 08:12:12 PM »
Isn't that "Lake Lola"?  (-L-O-L-A-)

Does look like 'Iola' (starting with an 'I' on Google Maps. I'd never heard of it (though I have heard of Scottsburg).  Of course now I'm going to be looking up info on the interurban line half the night LOL. 

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 09:36:45 PM »
Have the Flyer in front of me and it is Lake IOLA.

SemperVaporo

• Dispatcher
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 10:12:58 PM »
Google earth shows it as "Lake Lola"... wonder which is right.  The "flyer" may be the controlling doc, I guess.  But it is odd that it is listed as an acronym "-I-O-L-A" in all caps.  Wonder what it might mean... maybe "Indianapolis, O____ Louisville A______" or just a name.

BUT... http://www.cityofscottsburg.com/services/parks-rec/ shows it as "Lake Iola"... still can't tell if that is a capital "I" (eye)or a lower case "l" (ell)  so I copied the text and pasted it into Notepad and changed the font to show a capital I with serifs and sure enough it is "i" (eye) and not "l" (ell).
So I was wrong!  And so is Google Earth.  Apologies for taking up bandwidth.
Semper Vaporo
Charles T. McCullough
CMBY RY

pkgs.

arobb00

• Superintendent
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2018, 10:44:50 PM »
Google earth shows it as "Lake Lola"... wonder which is right.  The "flyer" may be the controlling doc, I guess.  But it is odd that it is listed as an acronym "-I-O-L-A" in all caps.  Wonder what it might mean... maybe "Indianapolis, O____ Louisville A______" or just a name.

BUT... http://www.cityofscottsburg.com/services/parks-rec/ shows it as "Lake Iola"... still can't tell if that is a capital "I" (eye)or a lower case "l" (ell)  so I copied the text and pasted it into Notepad and changed the font to show a capital I with serifs and sure enough it is "i" (eye) and not "l" (ell).
So I was wrong!  And so is Google Earth.  Apologies for taking up bandwidth.

LOL when two branches of Google (Maps and Earth) spell it differently, you know something is screwed up!  Afraid to see what Apple Maps calls it - could be Lake Monroe from stories I hear about them!

Eel_River

• Chief Dispatcher
  • I'm a Hoosier railfan!
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2018, 07:44:15 AM »
It's IOLA,  Here's the historic marker for the interurban site:

https://www.in.gov/history/markers/432.htm

The Sept. 29, 1931 timetable doesn't list Lake Iola as a scheduled stop.

Craig

1gdog

• Engineer
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2018, 09:08:51 AM »
From the park's Facebook page...
Armchair Modeler  PRR, GR&I, D&M

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2018, 12:41:04 PM »
If you get the Chance Stop by the Park, Check it Out. Very Nice. I have been Married to my wife for 28 Years and She has told me that her Dad who was from that area, Never once told the Family about this. Again, Something New for Both of us. We have been going to Scottsburg for 28 Years and had just found out about this Park right before I posted it. A Very Good Friend, Ron Stucky, Who has Passed On, would have loved to have seen this Park. He was into the Interurban Railroads.

Ralph

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2018, 02:09:07 PM »
A Very Good Friend, Ron Stucky, Who has Passed On, would have loved to have seen this Park. He was into the Interurban Railroads.

Ron did see this park. Ron, Jeff Griner and I took a trip down through central Indiana looking for interurban remnants and stopped there. Ron and Jeff took photos. If I took any I can't find them currently.