Author Topic: Logansport & Eel River No1 in HO scale  (Read 363 times)

central1751

• Dispatcher
  • 6.6 miles from destiny. April 30th 1900
Logansport & Eel River No1 in HO scale
« on: August 03, 2018, 10:16:45 PM »
Here is the before photo of the brass engine that is being modified into the 2-8-0 that pulled the Iron Horse Festival train back when I was a boy.  Starting with a Overland/Rok Am C&O G9 class 2-8-0, which is what the BC&G #13 was based on, is the closest model on the market.  Proper domes, driver spacing, tender is close as well.  Much closer than the BLI model of Ohio Central #13, which is the old L&ER No.1.  She is already taken apart, class lights, numberboards in front of the stack and headlight have been removed.  A PRR Keystone will replace the headlight, a new high mount headlight and mount will get added, then its paint time.  I have correct decals, including the PRR style keystone but with the L&ER lettering in place of PRR.   Stay tuned for pics once I get the new parts soldered on, and start prepping for paint.  Model already runs smooth and dead silent with factory Sagami can motor and idler gear box.       Mike the Aspie

central1751

• Dispatcher
  • 6.6 miles from destiny. April 30th 1900
Re: Logansport & Eel River No1 in HO scale
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 07:30:20 PM »
Made some more progress on old #1 tonight after work.  I got the headlight shelf made up and soldered on to the boiler.  From all the pics, it appears to be a simple fabricated metal shelf that extends back to near the stack and sets the headlight above the smokebox face, where as on a PRR H10 it would be mounted on a shelf bolted to the smokebox face itself.   The headlight in the pic isn't correct, its just sitting on the shelf to give the "look".  A correct one with the side number boards is on its way, along with the brass keystone plate for the smokebox face.  Coupled up is my 1990 Souvenir MDC/Roundhouse coach(need to find a few more of these).   Removed from the model were the class lights and mounting brackets, flying numberboards and the headlight and shelf from the smokebox door.  She has gotten some run time, nearly silent running with the stock Sagami motor and gear box.  The massive amounts of extra weight was removed as it was only adding to the wear on the running gear.  The stock boiler weight has been installed and is plenty for all she will now pull.