Author Topic: Looking for pics of the Iron Horse Festival train and coaches  (Read 645 times)

central1751

• Dispatcher
  • 6.6 miles from destiny. April 30th 1900
Looking for any pics of the old Iron Horse festival train.  I have several of old No1 but little of the coaches that are helpful to identify thier heritage so I can find models of them.  I am working on building up an all brass model of the festival train.  I have the 2-8-0 started, based on a C&O G9 class, which as the right driver spacing, dome layout and only needs a few details changed to give the PRRish look that she had.  I was just a young boy who rode this, both in the coaches and in the cab in one of the final years the 2-8-0 pulled the train.   Anybody have pics of the coaches or know thier history so I can track down models of them?     Thanks in advance.      Mike the Aspie

Eel_River

• Chief Dispatcher
  • I'm a Hoosier railfan!
Re: Looking for pics of the Iron Horse Festival train and coaches
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 07:50:48 AM »
Two photos of the coaches in Iron Horse Festival service in 1984 and 1991, and one of the cars still wearing its red and gold L&ER livery on the Indiana Railway Museum at French Lick in summer-2000. 

IRM bought three of the coaches from L&ER and repainted them green.  They were former Rock Island commuter cars 2545 (built 1923) and 2556, 2557 (built 1927).

Craig

central1751

• Dispatcher
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 06:05:48 PM »
Thank you, that helps with finding some suitable brass coaches to go with the steamer I just bought.  Will start the conversion from C&O to L&ER No1 this weekend.       Mike the Aspie

central1751

• Dispatcher
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 08:42:42 PM »
Anybody have any good shots of the headlight and its mounting "shelf" from the side so I can see how far back the shelf goes toward the stack.  It looks like it extends nearly to the base of the stack in the few shots I can find of her.  The whole set up was changed on the OC with a more conventional boiler face mounted shelf for the high headlight.  I know there has to be more home movies of the train out there, remember seeing plenty of camcorders in the later years.  But only one has turned up on youtube so far.