Author Topic: ITM's Move Into Logansport  (Read 24270 times)

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
Re: ITM's Move Into Logansport
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2018, 10:21:32 AM »
The stuff will move to Kokomo via rail from its current refurbishment spot on the Hoosier southern. The field was a staging spot.
If in doubt, Notch it out!

Wema

• Dispatcher
  • A Rail History Nut
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2018, 10:46:36 AM »
What happens if US Rail doesnít get their contract with Kokomo Grain renewed?

How soon is the USR contract up?

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2018, 11:06:46 AM »
How soon is the USR contract up?

From what Iíve heard, this fall itís up.

steve_wall

• Conductor
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2018, 11:22:15 AM »
Crblue--yes, Matthew-Warren occupies the former Rockwell spring plant at 500 E. Ottawa. I worked there for 14 years. MW has another plant on Garden Street south of where the tracks cross.

central1751

• Dispatcher
  • 6.6 miles from destiny. April 30th 1900
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2018, 11:35:42 AM »
I dont know that KG has any substantial ground up this way that is safe from vandals.  Definatly not at the Kokomo plant, old 1754 got beat up pretty good till KG moved it way in the back.  Next plant north is Winamic, thats way above Logansport.  If the cars and engines can be brought up via rail from the southern storage location, then that was the smart move.  I suspect the reasons are there.   KG may be friendly to operations as the WSRY is lightly used if at all on weekends, but that doesnt mean they want the liability of coaches and diesels sitting on cribbing or taking up storage tracks as fall harvest is not that far off and they are still outloading grain trains.  An NS 6 axle was staged on the lead Friday to pull a loaded train.  The Eel River tracks are not connect nor ready for all that stuff yet.  I suspect the spot down south was the best they could find on short notice.  Still lots to happen with the diesels and other pvt party or sold to a temp 3rd party items sitting in Forest park yet.  Hopefully we see ITM finish this deal with the Eel River group and start rehabbing track and preparing for arrival of thier equipment.

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2018, 12:39:39 PM »
I suspect the reasons are there.   KG may be friendly to operations as the WSRY is lightly used if at all on weekends, but that doesnt mean they want the liability of coaches and diesels sitting on cribbing or taking up storage tracks as fall harvest is not that far off and they are still outloading grain trains.

Bingo. 

I get the feeling ITM assumed they could keep their stuff on KG property.  Thatís why the stuff was dumped in a field when KG said ďnoĒ.

Still amazes me that ITM hasnít locked down a permanent home on the Eel River.

Given how public this fight has been, how quick ITM is to file lawsuits, I wonder how keen G&W will be to grant ITM rights to even get on the TPW to get to the KG property for excursions.

Trainman19

• Superintendent
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2018, 02:01:33 PM »
Hard to say. With diesel powered trains, they might be a bit more accepting. Several years ago, the Fort Wayne RR Historical Society tried to get a deal with US Rail to do trips with 765 on both the Kokomo and Bringhurst lines, for a couple of events in Kokomo and Logansport, but I guess G&W wanted an expensive insurance policy for it, so those fell through. Maybe diesel powered trips with ITM will make them see differently.

central1751

• Dispatcher
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2018, 02:44:20 PM »
Still alot to play out before ITM can do much of anything with thier own equipment.  I am sure the rental trains they have been using take a huge chunk of thier profits.   I still think the stuff the City of Kokomo bought is the mayors back up plan for a dinner train should the whole ITM thing go belly up.  They saw first hand, despite some issues, how many turned out for the rented ITM trains last year.  Get the Baldwin up and running and use the 44 tonner for a shoving platform on the other end to give headlight and horn.    I would have though ITM would have looked for ground to start fresh on the south side of Logansport.  Doing away with the need to work with G&W, getting across the NS diamonds and so forth.  Being outside the city can help with keeping vandals away as well. 

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2018, 05:57:12 PM »
KG has been letting them park the IP stuff on their grain lead.

Soon enough the refurbished ITM budds will roll into town, and the leased stuff will go.
If in doubt, Notch it out!

central1751

• Dispatcher
« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2018, 06:40:25 PM »
I will believe it when I see the Budds, Salon and diesels sitting in Logan or Kokomo.

conductorcrede

• Brakeman
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2018, 08:22:02 PM »
Since Kokomo Grain owns the tracks, even if US Rail is booted out, with the Ortmans being very open to the museum operation, that can be a stipulation to any new contracted operator of the line.  I suspect that if old 1754 could be fixed up, that KG could just hire a crew and run the opeartion on thier own with thier own engine.   US rail does it with a sole GP15-1, the other is down with a burnt traction motor.  NS road units come in for unit trains and go over the G&W operated tracks to Marion and not north to Logansport.  So, 1754 should be able to handle the local freight traffic just fine if she can be gotten running again.

ITMís Diesels have supposedly been sold to US Rail. I havenít heard anything official but I have heard from enough people to believe it. Itís possible you may see those engines pulling trains for US Rail up there sometime in the future. That is assuming all the chips fall in the right place of course.

central1751

• Dispatcher
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2018, 08:49:33 PM »
I believe that is just a temp thing to protect the engines from being seized or scrapped.  I suspect once the diesels are on safe ground, they will return to ITM ownership. 

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2018, 09:15:56 PM »
What happened to the 7 Units?

Trainman19

• Superintendent
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2018, 07:22:24 PM »
What happened to the 7 Units?

My understanding is a deal was made to keep them out of Noblesville's hands, but also allow at least part of them to remain with ITM.

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2018, 07:33:14 PM »
Itís possible you may see those engines pulling trains for US Rail up there sometime in the future. That is assuming all the chips fall in the right place of course.

Say that happens.  FRA shows up and does an inspection. Better hope every nut and bolt is in place an tightened.  If itís not, itís not moving until it does.  Would US Rail fix it to the FRA liking?  ITM wouldnít be able to use it until itís fixed, and passes an inspection. Is that a chance ITM would like to take?

Given the state of the ITM collection, not a bet Iíd be willing to take.  Never mind how the bad blood has flowed, wouldnít take much from some disgruntled former member to drop a dime to the FRA to set it in motion.  Seen it happen before. Outcome wasnít pretty.

conductorcrede

• Brakeman
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2018, 07:40:01 PM »
Say that happens.  FRA shows up and does an inspection. Better hope every nut and bolt is in place an tightened.  If itís not, itís not moving until it does.  Would US Rail fix it to the FRA liking?  ITM wouldnít be able to use it until itís fixed, and passes an inspection. Is that a chance ITM would like to take?

Given the state of the ITM collection, not a bet Iíd be willing to take.  Never mind how the bad blood has flowed, wouldnít take much from some disgruntled former member to drop a dime to the FRA to set it in motion.  Seen it happen before. Outcome wasnít pretty.

The FRA gave ITM and all of its operational equipment a clean bill of health. While their engines are far from perfect condition, none of them are unsafe to operate.

IndyHog

• Superintendent
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2018, 07:45:12 PM »
I remember many moons ago that when Conrail got wind the FRA was coming to inspect engines at Avon or Hawthorne, many of the engines suddenly disappeared. Things probably haven't changed much. Probably a disgruntled engineer or laborer dropped the dime.
Meet the new boss, he's the same as the old boss......wait a minute, He's much worse

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2018, 08:02:57 PM »
The FRA gave ITM and all of its operational equipment a clean bill of health. While their engines are far from perfect condition, none of them are unsafe to operate.

You stand behind that when itís connected to a live rail line on the national network?  And being used in revenue freight service?

FRA doesnít necessarily hold captive (not part of the national network) to the same standards as something out earning money for a company.

I remember many moons ago that when Conrail got wind the FRA was coming to inspect engines at Avon or Hawthorne, many of the engines suddenly disappeared. Things probably haven't changed much. Probably a disgruntled engineer or laborer dropped the dime.

Happened in recent history to car department.  Messed the place up good for a couple weeks.  Ended up firing more of the car inspectors because of a lax approach.  Yard eventually recovered.

Lesson to be learned is every action has unintended side effects. Better be prepared.

Ralph

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2018, 08:17:55 PM »
You stand behind that when itís connected to a live rail line on the national network?  And being used in revenue freight service?

FRA doesnít necessarily hold captive (not part of the national network) to the same standards as something out earning money for a company.

Pete Domery knew the equipment guidelines and viewed them as pass/fail. During FairTrain one year he pulled a coach out of service because one brake cylinder was slow to release. He didn't care that the train was due to depart and that passengers were already on board that coach. Had to break the train and put that coach on the Fishers siding.

ITM always followed the guidelines as if they were still part of the network because they always hoped one day they would be again.

Trainman19

• Superintendent
« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2018, 09:20:42 PM »
ITM always followed the guidelines as if they were still part of the network because they always hoped one day they would be again.

Hopefully that helps them get things up and running again, whenever they are able to.