Author Topic: What ITM Left Behind  (Read 2522 times)

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
Re: What ITM Left Behind
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2019, 08:31:46 PM »
Any word on how the Auction went. How much was saved?

rcall31060

• Engineer
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2019, 11:54:32 PM »
Any word on how the Auction went. How much was saved?

Since whatever equipment, that remains in Forest Park, in Noblesville, is supposedly, now the property of the City and not ITM, I would think a query, to the Noblesville Parks and Recreation Dept., might yield an answer to your question.  No??
Bob Callahan
Monticello, IN

pabrankle

• Fireman
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2019, 09:13:22 AM »
Five pieces sold at Indiana auction; others may get a second chance

NOBLESVILLE, Ind. -- The majority of the pieces of rolling stock from the former collection of the Indiana Transportation Museum went unsold at auction this week, which could lead to some of them meeting the scrapper’s torch in the near future.

Steve Cooke, deputy mayor for the City of Noblesville, Ind., which now owns the equipment, says only five pieces out of the 17 pieces of rolling stock up for auction through railroad equipment broker Ozark Mountain Railcar were sold between Monday and Wednesday. The pieces which were sold in the auction included: U.S. Navy boxcar No. 4828; Pennsylvania Railroad boxcar No. 497329; Milwaukee Road refrigerator car No. 37191; wooden outside-braced boxcar No. 2, which is believed to be of Wabash Railroad heritage; and PRR Railway Post Office Car No. 6523.

Among the former ITM pieces which were not sold are former Amtrak, nee Great Northern, steam generator car no. 661; Milwaukee Road EMD FP7A no. 96C, which currently wears Monon Railroad livery; Milwaukee Road EMD F7B no. 68B; PRR Pullman sleeper no. 8007, Philadelphia County; and Santa Fe stainless steel coaches nos. 3083 and 2400. According to Ozark Mountain’s website, the pieces of equipment which were not sold would be scrapped. Cooke confirmed as much, but said a timeline for the scrapping of equipment in the city has not yet been determined. “We’re being transparent and honest that there’s going to be scrapping,” he says.

Cooke, however, said some of the equipment, could get a second chance.

The cars were, according to a court action, “abandoned” by ITM when the museum was evicted from its yard at Forest Park in Noblesville following a long and complicated battle between the city and the museum. Any car not removed by the eviction date in July 2018 was deemed “abandoned.” Cooke says the city of Noblesville was left with around 60 cars following the eviction. Since then and through two auctions, he says, dozens of cars have been successfully relocated. “The city, in total, has helped save 34 railroad cars and enabled them to be safely moved out and find new homes around the country,” Cooke says. “I think we’ve achieved what we set out to do in saving as many railcars as we can and our biggest priority is cleaning out Forest Park and cleaning it up.”

Cooke says the city plans to clean up the park and repurpose it for use as a tourist attraction and southern terminal for non-profit tourist line the Nickel Plate Express, which operates between Noblesville and Atlanta, Ind. The Nickel Plate Express uses a former Erie Mining EMD F9 and former Santa Fe Hi-Level passenger cars and began operation in 2018. As part of the cleanup and repurposing of Forest Park, Cooke says, the city plans to keep several railcars in Forest Park for static display. He also says the city could lease other pieces of equipment from the former ITM collection to the Nickel Plate Express.

central1751

• Dispatcher
  • 6.6 miles from destiny. April 30th 1900
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2019, 04:59:11 PM »
 That FP7 once pulled crack passenger trains on the Milw Rd.  An F7B is hard to come by anymore.  I would like to see the city donate both pieces to any group that can cover the moving expenses to get them out and NOT scrap them.   Once they are scrapped its game over.  Yes the 96C still has its passenger gearing.  I have ridden in that engine in better times and railfanned it as it passed by at Amtrak speed when running home on the CSX/ex Monon track with just the train crew on it.  She was quite a site back in the day before the disaster called ITM let her fall into her current shape instead of repairing the damaged flywheel(yet they fixed the 200's same basic issue).  Such a shame. 

crblue

• Dispatcher
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2019, 10:32:40 PM »
What would it cost to move a locomotive the size and weight of an FP7 or F7B a distance of 100 miles?

I honestly don't know. But, my gut feeling is that if moving them was affordable, someone would have bid on them. Something tells me it's one of those "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" situations.

Hemigray 42

• Engineer
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2019, 11:14:18 PM »
Its to bad HHPA won't let some of that equipment move north by rail as it would make it easier to move. Its a shame the line was cut off from the network as all of this equipment and trouble would of been lessen .

Sent from my LGL163BL using Tapatalk

LJ

• President
  • The train's are on their way back!!!!
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2019, 11:17:01 PM »
Looks to me like they should still be able to move that stuff to Tipton, providing the purchaser is able to work with the NS to store it there somewhere to work on it. Also looks to me that the NS could allow for a temporary switch to be used to move stuff to their yard or the old branch to Kokomo, so one could make a locomotive road ready by rail. And I am sure the NS would do it if asked, depending on the cost. Also depends on the Nickel Plate Express, if they would help to move stuff. I know quite a bit of track has been pulled between the NS and the current end of track. But could still be done with panel track.

xgap

• President
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2019, 12:42:19 AM »
Pretty sure we've covered that on here some where. Even if NS wanted to play ball and you can fit through their hoops, the recent truck moves prove it can be done with short notice and I assume at a cheaper cost. Noblesville needs to try to give away what is left to anyone who says they will not scrap. They seems to think they are the big winner. Why blow it with some bad PR;such as Scrappers cut up an A-S set.

central1751

• Dispatcher
  • 6.6 miles from destiny. April 30th 1900
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2019, 11:25:04 AM »
The recent truck moves were for much lighter weight items. The FP7 and F7b are a whole nother ball game weight wise to move.  If the city donated them, it might garner some interest and help mend the city of Noblesville's reputation with the railfan community.  I suspect its the min bid, combined with shipping that makes it a no go right now.   Mike