Author Topic: Kewanna depot question  (Read 589 times)

Bob Durnell

• President
Kewanna depot question
« on: September 18, 2018, 11:38:57 PM »
The wife and I were out last Friday continuing our railroad depot and structure treasure hunt.  We went to Kewanna, and I assume the building closest to the street is the former PRR depot, but what is the building behind it?  It LOOKS like another depot, but is it, and if so, which one?  I would also like to ask why so many restored depots like Grass Creek and Akron just to name two, have no signs outside to even tell you what the building is or any of it's history?  I just find it amazing that after the amount of work that was done like in the case of Grass Creek, and if you didn't know what the building was, you'd never be able to find out by just looking at it.

hibbard

• Dispatcher
Re: Kewanna depot question
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 12:38:12 AM »
The building closest to the road is the depot.  The other building was built in the 1975-85 era.  Either a church group or day care center used the two buildings, now closed.

Bob Durnell

• President
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 07:33:38 AM »
OK, thanks for the info.  It's a pretty good replication of a depot other than the windows, but my hunch was it was a fake. 

Freightrain

• Superintendent
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 01:59:36 PM »
Railroad Magazine From early 70 s Had an article from an agent who worked in Kewanee Before automobiles because he was talking about taking a girl for a buggy ride.He worked night s fell asleep  a train missed an order he was supposed to give.There was a section in all those Railroad Magazine s called something I forgot .Tales along the rails or something like that . Railroad became Railroad & Railfan magazine.But in the early 70, s there where more stories less pictures.