Author Topic: New Ethanol Plant in Shelby County  (Read 5963 times)

Bob

• Dispatcher
Re: New Ethanol Plant in Shelby County
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2018, 08:02:07 PM »
If a farmer can truck his harvest directly to the ethanol plant, what does this mean for local elevators?  Can ethanol plants like this handle large intakes at harvest time or do they need to be fed a steady supply through the year?

crblue

• Dispatcher
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2018, 09:33:52 PM »
The days of the small local elevators, if there are still any around, are numbered.

Many of the small local elevators have been purchased by large farm operations who need the storage and have the resources to control the market for their grain.

Also, the large grain processors can provide better pricing to the farmer and they will often truck their grain longer distances and drive past the local elevator to get a better price.

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2018, 01:27:53 AM »
Just look at poet Portland and Summerville.  Don't get your hopes up

CSX2605

• Mogul
  • Remember the Semaphores!
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2018, 08:35:58 AM »
If a farmer can truck his harvest directly to the ethanol plant, what does this mean for local elevators?  Can ethanol plants like this handle large intakes at harvest time or do they need to be fed a steady supply through the year?
Steady supply through out the year.  They will pull from farmers & elevators. They can handle some of the fall rush but a lot of it goes into the bins, either at the farm or elevator. Depends on the moisture of the corn and if it needs dried down or not.   High moisture dock kills you.   It's all about the basis(difference between the cash price and futures price). All of our corn goes to the Farbest feed mill in Bruceville, IN(abandoned PRR from Indy). They always have a good basis and are open 14 hours a day. GPC at Washington on the Indiana Southern RR is fed from farmers & elevators.  Boyd Grain at Plainville(ISRR) is now owned by GPC. Robinson Grain at Fritchton & Vincennnes is nothing but a feeder of corn for GPC.  The Plainville elevator loads hoppers and are railed the short distance down to the GPC facility.  Farbest now owns the ex Cargill elevator in Vincennes(CSX). They have loaded some onto the rail this fall but not a unit train.  Farbest could sell corn to GPC or whomever just as long as it pays.
ADM in Newburg, IN on the Ohio River will truck corn out to the ethanol plant on the Evansville & Western RR between Evansville & Mt Vernon, IN. 
Flow of grain has changed dramatically in the past 20 years and with that so has rail(ethanol trains and such).

Laguna Man

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2018, 08:42:24 AM »
With that being said, are we expecting little or no rail traffic from this new company?

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2018, 09:36:18 AM »
My guess is a fair bit, but not units.
Portland facility is steady.

rrnut282

• Mogul
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2018, 10:04:54 AM »
The Bluffton Ethanol plant uses all three methods.  Local farmers truck their grain and they store it in their silos.  They get unit trains of grain in, ethanol and DDG out.  The local stops by twice a day to get the random loads in and out.  YMMV
rrnut2-8-2
(Mike)

scraphauler

• Tycoon
  • Oberfeldwebel Hans Scraphauler
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2018, 11:48:03 AM »
In discussions, it appears they will see very little to no inbound grain by rail, and just a few cars of DDG out by rail as they expect to truck a significant portion to River.  Will be some alcohol tanks but probably not unit train quantity.  In all it appears all it will do is make the anemic try weakly local a little healthier looking.
The opinions, views, and incoherent ramblings presented here do not necessarily represent the view point of any company I work for or own,  any logical thinking being, or even me.

Laguna Man

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2018, 01:20:43 PM »
Any chance of outbound via rail to river transload?

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2018, 05:46:48 PM »
In a word.  NO
The opinions, views, and incoherent ramblings presented here do not necessarily represent the view point of any company I work for or own,  any logical thinking being, or even me.

Laguna Man

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2018, 06:38:13 PM »
Kinda thought it was a long shot.....

Wema

• Dispatcher
  • A Rail History Nut
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2019, 03:30:09 PM »
Any word on how this project is going?

In light of the Magnetation Reynolds plant being moved, I hope this project has better luck.

MSchwiebert

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2019, 08:47:08 PM »
Poet seems to be one of the stronger players in the Ethanol market - a market that has largely been through the speculation/consolidation phase. They are currently the top producer in the US.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-ethanol-poetllc-archer-daniels/poet-unseats-adm-as-top-global-fuel-ethanol-maker-idUSKBN1I113K

Any word on how this project is going?

In light of the Magnetation Reynolds plant being moved, I hope this project has better luck.

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2019, 07:46:51 PM »
Pic of the progress from today.  Don't get excited about unit trains of ethanol and unit trains of grain, etc.  Not happening.  When inquiring about intra-plant switching opportunities, was told that rail will have a very small presence - small enough that they can handle internally with a Switchmobile.  No inbound grain capability - said they would only do a few outbound DDG (if any).  Main business will be SOME outbound tank cars - no unit trains planned.  Overall, traffic sounds light enough that the current local can absorb without breaking a sweat.

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2019, 10:17:27 PM »
Sounds like their Portland op here

KA9WXO

• Brakeman
« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2019, 10:39:47 PM »
Probably add Cloverdale to that list.

crfan59

• Dispatcher
  • CP freight to Lousiville on CSX' Hoosier sub.
« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2019, 09:47:31 AM »
Their facility in the Urbana / N. Manchester area on NS' Marion branch seems to have switched from having lots of inbound hoppers to predominately tanks (outbound?)  Is that a reflection of fluctuating markets / pricing?  (This was just a drive by observation of mine last week.)

Paul
One way, Your way, My way, Our way, Right way, Wrong way, Conway, Conrail !