Author Topic: New Ethanol Plant in Shelby County  (Read 5697 times)

xgap

• President
Re: New Ethanol Plant in Shelby County
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2018, 11:28:03 PM »
No matter the destination , I would think in today's climate one would want options, such a shortline to switch the plant which connects to both CSX and NS.

crblue

• Dispatcher
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2018, 03:15:04 PM »
...such a shortline to switch the plant which connects to both CSX and NS.
NS used to run a turnaround local from Marion to Hawthorne Yard, but I think they abolished it due a lack of traffic.

NS got trackage rights from Frankfort to Clermont on the Frankfort Branch as part of the Conrail break-up, though I don't think they've ever run a train on that route.

In other words, the customers in and around Indianapolis don't seem to be screaming loud enough for an alternate carrier. CSX, INRD, and LIRC seem to be handling things well enough to keep the clamoring from the customers down to a dull roar.

nyc6001

• Conductor
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2018, 10:35:58 PM »
I agree that PTC will not be required on this line.

Laguna Man

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2018, 02:21:41 PM »
crblue: you would be surprised how many shippers don't actually know all the options they have via rail....

nyc6001

• Conductor
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2018, 05:40:25 PM »
We do a pretty good job of switching our customers in Indianapolis Terminal, as long as we are given power and men, and remain working out of Hawthorne. However, the INRD and ISRR both have operations on the southwest side, so there are shortlines. Shelbyville gets served MWF.  The ethanol plant will allow CSX to spend more on service.

Several cars per day are interchanged with NS in Anderson, then make their way to Indy on J754 and Y129.

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2018, 07:10:08 PM »
We do a pretty good job of switching our customers in Indianapolis Terminal, as long as we are given power and men, and remain working out of Hawthorne. However, the INRD and ISRR both have operations on the southwest side, so there are shortlines. Shelbyville gets served MWF.  The ethanol plant will allow CSX to spend more on service.

Several cars per day are interchanged with NS in Anderson, then make their way to Indy on J754 and Y129.

That’s if the thing gets built.

I bet CSX doesn’t spend a dime until the first outbound train is ordered. 

Too many proposed plants in the Midwest that never shipped a car to start pouring money into a line that won’t need it.

Wema

• Dispatcher
  • A Rail History Nut
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2018, 09:16:26 PM »
That’s if the thing gets built.

I bet CSX doesn’t spend a dime until the first outbound train is ordered. 

Too many proposed plants in the Midwest that never shipped a car to start pouring money into a line that won’t need it.

Learned their lesson after the Reyonlds plant and the Monon upgrades eh?

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2018, 09:58:56 PM »
Learned their lesson after the Reyonlds plant and the Monon upgrades eh?

Monon upgrades were sorely needed.  Unfortunate the traffic that precipitated the improvements dried up.

Have a feeling they’ll continue to be needed for the near future.

nyc6001

• Conductor
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2018, 01:35:51 PM »
It's good heavy rail down to Fairland. Just needs ties and surfacing. I hope it happens.

Gary

• Conductor
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2018, 08:26:50 AM »
The Shelbyville planning commission unanimously approved the plans for the new site at the meeting Monday night, as reported on the Fox 59 website.

scraphauler

• Tycoon
  • Oberfeldwebel Hans Scraphauler
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2018, 08:08:34 PM »
Construction has started

Wema

• Dispatcher
  • A Rail History Nut
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2018, 09:15:12 PM »
Thanks Scrap.

Any ideas on how long construction is supposed to last?

Bob

• Dispatcher
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2018, 10:22:46 AM »
Ties have been spread south of the construction site.  Didn't notice any north, but maybe they are working south to north.

scraphauler

• Tycoon
  • Oberfeldwebel Hans Scraphauler
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2018, 12:06:47 PM »
Ties have been spread south of the construction site.  Didn't notice any north, but maybe they are working south to north.

Crisp new black ones or a tad weathered?  If a tad weathered, they have been laying there for over a year - CSXT had a tie crane and back hoe working out there last year digging a few ties in and they just one day quit.

Bob

• Dispatcher
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2018, 09:18:09 PM »
At grade crossing on county road just south of ethanol plant looked to the north and ties looked weathered, but to the south they looked new.  But they were not real close, so since  you mention that i would have to take another look before i could say for certain.

steve_wall

• Conductor
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2018, 05:42:37 AM »
I wonder if this ethanol will be for export, given that the US market is saturated?

Lt._Dave

• Dispatcher
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2018, 08:25:22 AM »
Some of the ties are from the older project Scrap talked about.  But there are spots where new "black" ties have been dropped.  Not piles upon piles or anything, but a few scattered here and there. 

pabrankle

• Fireman
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2018, 04:01:28 PM »
From InsideINBusiness website.  Also posted on IBJ

Ethanol Producer to Build Shelbyville Plant
Posted: Oct 26, 2018 1:44 PM EDT
Updated: Oct 26, 2018 1:51 PM EDT
By Alex Brown, Multimedia JournalistCONNECT

SHELBYVILLE -
A South Dakota-based biofuels company has announced plans for its fifth ethanol plant in Indiana. POET LLC says it will invest nearly $160 million to build the facility in Shelbyville, and create 45 full-time jobs. The company says the plant is expected to go online in the spring of 2020 and will be capable of producing 80 million gallons of ethanol annually.

The ethanol produced at the plant will come from $110 million of corn purchased from farmers within a 30-mile radius. It will also feature environmental controls that eliminate the discharge of processing water.

"This is the right project in the right location at the right time," said Jeff Broin, chief executive officer of POET. "Farmers desperately need the income boost from this new market for grain, and Pres. Trump’s recent announcement of year-round E15 sales has the biofuels industry poised for new growth and prosperity. Shelbyville is leading the way for future production to meet new E15 demand."

Brian Asher, executive director of the Shelby County Development Corp., says local farmers will benefit from the project by not having to haul their corn long distances to receive top prices. The city of Shelbyville is assisting POET with land acquisition and infrastructure, and a tax abatement proposal is currently being reviewed by the company.

"POET’s project provides jobs right here in Shelby County, but its indirect effects will extent well beyond that," said Asher,. "This boosts income for farmers, expands the tax base and circulates new dollars across the state economy."

POET plans to begin hiring for the new jobs in the spring of 2019. The company currently has facilities in Alexandria, Cloverdale, North Manchester, and Portland that produce a total of 244 million gallons of ethanol per year.

As noted above:
"The ethanol produced at the plant will come from $110 million of corn purchased from farmers within a 30-mile radius"     Not much hope for inbound loads; maybe there will be some outbound loads?

midland sub

• Dispatcher
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2018, 11:09:23 AM »
If you look at the Poet Ohio plants which are just a hair under the size of what this new one will be, all use rail but none seem to ship out much outbound ethanol. Looks like all do inbound corn by rail and outbound distelller grain. There’s a couple other plants on Ohio that are about the size of the Poet plants and they do ship the ethanol by rail. Supposedly they do about 30-40 loads a month.

FWIW the Valero plant on the I&O is 135 million gallons a year and uses rail for almost all of its outbound production. Thy probably average a 60ish car unit train every 7-10 days. The Anderson-Marathon plant on the RJ Corman is about every 2 weeks. Valero is hit or miss on the outbound ddg depending on who’s buying it. It can be heavy and be 40 plus cars a week that end up on the CIND at CBG or nothing. There’s quite a bit of inbound corn for Valero by rail, but that’s an interesting set up with the I&O and actually Cargill that handles the corn for Valero.

I wouldn’t hold my breath or pin my dreams on any sort of unit trains for the new plant. Probably that CSX Shelbyville local being a lot more busy than it has been. As for anything moving via the CIND, Scraphauler and myself have a better chance of being in the running at the next Pope. Valero occasionally ships a unit train to Jacksonville and they won’t allow the I&O to hand it off in Cincy. It goes the long way via Columbus and then west and south thru Cincy. Same with the ddg if it goes to CBG. CSX will take it the long way to Cincy- not that the CIND or G&W would be interested with trying to deal with it and all the Honda traffic.

nyc6001

• Conductor
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2018, 01:20:52 PM »
Cardinal ethanol in Harrisville, IN (by Union City) Does unit trains of ethanol and DDG. It also receives empty hoppers and ships smaller shipments of DDG by way of the local based in Ansonia, OH, the J789. That traffic finds its way to the hump in Avon.

Knowing a farmer or two, I will predict that corn will come in from farther away than a 30 mile radius.