Author Topic: New Ethanol Plant in Shelby County  (Read 5708 times)

Lt._Dave

• Dispatcher
New Ethanol Plant in Shelby County
« on: June 25, 2018, 05:12:30 PM »
Good Evening All,

Tonight in Shelbyville is a final or near final zoning meeting for the new ethanol plant going in just south of Fairland.  The parcel of land is next to the CSX Shelbyville line, and has really easy access to I-74 as well.  Just a heads up to possible new industry on this line.

Here is a link to the story.

https://www.shelbynews.com/common/story.php?ID=2635

Dave

Laguna Man

• Chief Dispatcher
Re: New Ethanol Plant in Shelby County
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 05:40:52 PM »
Wow, how did this get kept quiet? Any potential for rail business?

scraphauler

• Tycoon
  • Oberfeldwebel Hans Scraphauler
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 06:38:52 PM »
Hasn’t been that quite.  Been discussed in CIND thread 6-8 months ago. Was down to just west of Honda in Decatur County or location (apparently this one) in Shelby County.  Announcement was imminent last fall then it just went dark.  Original plan was is would be bio waste feed, not grain.  Little to no inbound raw material by raw, outbound unit ethanol trains.  Must have changed scope as this reads as grain fed. May increase rail need.

arobb00

• Superintendent
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 07:33:40 PM »
Well, guess the CIND won't be handling any of this potential traffic. 

MSchwiebert

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 07:58:51 PM »
I'm somewhat surprised that there's still a demand for capacity in the ethanol market.

central1751

• Dispatcher
  • 6.6 miles from destiny. April 30th 1900
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 09:23:07 PM »
I think the demand lies outside the USA.  Just as lots of biodiesel is shipped overseas.   There is a plant in Erie, PA and all of its output goes overseas, not a drop to the USA.   

STLX 7000

• Chief Dispatcher
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 10:35:55 PM »
Given CSX's attitude toward branchline customer service,is it possible CSX hands this over to CIND to deal with it? It would be awesome to have the west end reopened and then unit ethanol trains could run to Cincinnati.

nyc6001

• Conductor
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 10:37:55 PM »
Great news. The J774 needs more volume.

Lt._Dave

• Dispatcher
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 08:07:36 AM »
The Planning Commission did not take a vote last night and tabled it.  According to various reports I've heard from those in attendance not only was no one in the area really notified (only property owners within 600 yards per law, mostly farmers) but there were some questions about infrastructure needs not being clearly thought through.  The meeting started at 5 p.m. and I know people were still there at 10:30.

I drive this stretch of road looking for eagles to photograph every few days and they have been doing demo on a very small scale for the last few weeks.  What I mean by that is they would demo a building, the pile of debris would be gone the next day.  Very low key.

Let the fun begin.  The community is mad as hell, and I would assume will be talking the Planning Commissions ears off between now and the July meeting.

Dave

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2018, 12:56:51 AM »
https://www.shelbynews.com/common/story.php?ID=2653

Quote. A railroad spur line would be constructed into the site from the existing CSXT Rail that runs along side of the southern edge of the Poet Property. The majority of the rail traffic will go to  Indianapolis.

Majority?  Interesting wording.

MSchwiebert

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2018, 08:21:40 AM »
Didn't realize that it was POET that would be putting the facility in.  The proposal sounds very similar in size to what they have running near Leipsic Ohio.  The link (below) shows what that facility looks like. However, the Leipsic facility ships all of it's finished ethanol via truck. From what I understand, most goes to the Marathon refinery in downriver Detroit (100 odd miles north) and I suspect some goes to either or both of the refineries on the east side of Toledo (50 or so miles away) as well.   DDG goes outbound via rail - but that's about it.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Leipsic,+OH+45856/@41.1163078,-83.9701795,1968m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x883e9e358b1c7211:0x2052237e822000f3!8m2!3d41.0983846!4d-83.9846655

IU_Tower

• Mogul
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2018, 09:49:11 AM »
CSX is gonna need to invest in some track work first. Didn't they classify the Shelbyville as "Excepted" track last summer? It's starting to look the the MAW....

Wema

• Dispatcher
  • A Rail History Nut
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2018, 11:18:15 AM »
https://www.shelbynews.com/common/story.php?ID=2653

Quote. A railroad spur line would be constructed into the site from the existing CSXT Rail that runs along side of the southern edge of the Poet Property. The majority of the rail traffic will go to  Indianapolis.

Majority?  Interesting wording.

Is there an advantage to go to either Indy or Cincy or is it more about competition and access to NS and CSX in Cincy vs CSX only in Indy that it would make it worth rehabbing the west end of CIND for ethanol traffic?

I assume PTC requirements would come into play as well given the volatile nature of ethanol trains?

Thanks in advance for your insights. :)

STLX 7000

• Chief Dispatcher
  • I'm a Hoosier Railfan!
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2018, 11:22:47 AM »
Is there an advantage to go to either Indy or Cincy or is it more about competition and access to NS and CSX in Cincy vs CSX only in Indy that it would make it worth rehabbing the west end of CIND for ethanol traffic?

I assume PTC requirements would come into play as well given the volatile nature of ethanol trains?

Thanks in advance for your insights. :)

PTC only applies to PIH/TIH traffic and only on lines above a certain yearly tonnage threshold which the CIND and CSX Shelbyville still wouldn't meet even if the plant is built.

scraphauler

• Tycoon
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2018, 11:28:25 AM »
What's interesting to me is has Poet changed scope (if so why) or are they saying Ethanol plant and reporter is assuming the corn fed part to fill out story?   About this time last year, I was doing a little consulting work for someone on THIS PROJECT.   At that time, criteria was they wanted to build somewhere within 25 mile radius of western Decatur Co.  They needed their various utilities, good road access, and RAIL.  Rail was important - they HAD to have access to CSXT, and would like to have access to NS.   AND, it was NOT a grain fed facility.  It was to be a bio-mass facility that utilized various locally sourced bio/ag waste as it's raw material.  VERY LITTLE in any raw material would arrive by rail, but they would ship UNIT TRAIN shipments of ethanol outbound via CSXT 2 to 3 times per week, with some additional car load traffic to both CSXT and NS.   By early fall, a location on CIND immediately west of Adams IN and a unknown location in Shelby County where the two finalist.  Then project went dark as if it had been shelved.  Had not heard another word about it until this thread. 

PTC would not come into play - traffic volume no where near threshold and only hazmat it applies to is PIH/TIH (Posion / Toxic Inhalation Hazard)

CIND had indicated if built at Adams, their preference was to take traffic to Cininnati and NOT reopen west end, but money talks and if there was a financil reason (read more $$$)  for them to take it west, they would.  Never dicussed what if built on CSXT - what little consulting I did was strictly for a Decatur Co location. 

Wema

• Dispatcher
  • A Rail History Nut
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2018, 12:15:47 PM »
Thanks Scrap and STLX 7000.

I forgot that there is a tonnage requirement as well for PTC, my bad.

I guess will will wait and see, project isn't approved yet so could be shelved again.

Given the west end being OOO for about 10 years, I assume it probably would take a few hoppers worth of cash to get that end opened again. :P

Laguna Man

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2018, 12:44:33 PM »
Speaking of track conditions on the west end, isn't their some welded rail between I-465 and Shelbyville? When I worked the line out of Hawthorne Yard I seem to remember a section totaling say 10/15 miles or so with a top speed of around 40 MPH. Of course that was around 2001.

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2018, 12:50:44 PM »
IIRC Welded rail on the former single track from about where it went from double at Dix (MP 95 IIRC) to the outskirts of Shelbyville.

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
New Ethanol Plant in Shelby County
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2018, 02:58:05 PM »

PTC would not come into play - traffic volume no where near threshold and only hazmat it applies to is PIH/TIH (Posion / Toxic Inhalation Hazard)

Is the fra still requiring this to be based off of 2008 numbers for all lines?  I know that was the original plan but haven’t heard if they’ve chosen a closer year to base those numbers off of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk