Author Topic: ITM Scraping Equipment  (Read 8376 times)

StateLine-IndianaCity

• Brakeman
Re: ITM Scrapping Equipment
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2018, 11:08:43 AM »
Documentation of (electric traction) equipment scrapped at ITM in 2018:

https://pnaerc.blogspot.com/search/label/Indiana%20Transportation%20Museum

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
Re: ITM Scraping Equipment
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2018, 01:44:29 PM »
Sad.  Prime example of a museum over reaching on a collection, abd everyting rusting away...

monon_rr

• Dispatcher
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2018, 01:51:41 PM »
Very very sad - at least they saved them when no one else would...allowed generations to see the actual cars that otherwise would have never been given the chance.

I wonder why they didn't try to offer these up for sale? I would have loved to the have had the Indy Railways car.

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2018, 06:36:43 PM »
Very very sad - at least they saved them when no one else would...allowed generations to see the actual cars that otherwise would have never been given the chance...

All they did was prevent the scrapping by a few decades.

I would hope that given their condition, they werenít on front line display...

monon_rr

• Dispatcher
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2018, 08:07:35 PM »
All they did was prevent the scrapping by a few decades.

Which allowed countless people the opportunity to see something that otherwise they would have only seen in a B/W photograph.

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2018, 08:21:34 PM »
Which allowed countless people the opportunity to see something that otherwise they would have only seen in a B/W photograph.

Rehash: other than hard core historians or rail buffs, the general public doesnít care about a rusting hulk of metal. 

In the end, they were scrapped, and not preserved at all.  Itís unfortunate that the entity tasked with preservation,  failed to preserve it.

MSchwiebert

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2018, 08:49:44 PM »
That's why I think it's a good thing that many museums are "rightsizing" their collections and giving a focus to what they are keeping instead of the previous "one of everything" mentality.  Examples include NKP 2-8-4 757 being taken out of the Railroad Museum of PA's collection and going to the NKP museum in Bellevue, NKP 2-8-4 763 being moved from the museum in Roanoke to the age of steam roundhouse and so on.  My prediction is that there will be more of that in the years ahead for a multitude of reasons, among them an aging population and the realization that fewer, better maintained items that can "tell a local story" are much more beneficial than a "collection" of items that aren't being kept after, have no connection to the area and are eyesores.

Rehash: other than hard core historians or rail buffs, the general public doesnít care about a rusting hulk of metal. 

In the end, they were scrapped, and not preserved at all.  Itís unfortunate that the entity tasked with preservation,  failed to preserve it.

central1751

• Dispatcher
  • 6.6 miles from destiny. April 30th 1900
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2018, 09:44:39 PM »
I agree, there is only so much $$ to go around and like was stated, the general public doesn't want to see rusting hulks or junk sitting in the weeds.   With the issues facing operators of big mainline steam that needs heavy mainline rail to run, I think we will also see more smaller and lighter foot print engines getting the green light to be restored to operating condition.  Look at Frisco 1630 at IRM, designed for a lightweight foot print on branchline rail.  So for an operating steam engine at a mostly diesel/traction museum, its easy on thier track and beautifully pulled 135 empty coal hoppers out of winter storage.  ITM should have looked into that as well and not lost thier outside connection,  IRM makes/made funds for the good by storing cars during the winter shut down time.  Until ITM starts getting the good stuff out of there to a new home or temp storage away from Forest Park, I will remain concerned.     Mike the Aspie

csxdispatcher

• Dispatcher
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2018, 05:34:12 PM »

There are plenty of CTA 4000's left in cared for condition.  One can hope one of those real museums were able to get some parts from this.

monon_rr

• Dispatcher
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2018, 09:16:53 AM »
There are plenty of CTA 4000's left in cared for condition.  One can hope one of those real museums were able to get some parts from this.

I was speaking of the Indianapolis Railways and Indianapolis & Cincinnati cars. Could you please point me in the direction of "plenty" of those left?

bth765

• Fireman
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2018, 11:40:57 AM »
Maybe if the ITM had concentrated on a few examples of each type rather than a fleet. Personally I'm not certain what CTA cars have to do with Indiana Transportation history. Later this summer my family and I will be in San Francisco and I hope to visit the SF Cable Car Museum. I would not expect to see a CSS&SB car(s) in their collection.
While it is tragic to see historic pieces rot away we need to realize that there isn't enough time, money, or workers to save everything. I work as a substitute teacher and I can tell you that children today have little to no interest in anything that didn't happen within the last 6 months or less. (I could go off on a political rant about how American History is taught but I won't.) To be successful in the future museums and historical societies MUST be ready to wow potential customers; not just offer up a disjointed collection of "STUFF".
I tried to work with a local historical society. Their "museum" is a disorganized collection of "STUFF" i.e. photos of a minor train wreck and of people and things that used to be in town. It is housed in a former NKP caboose painted to sort of look like a MONON caboose and restored to lake cabin style. An assortment of railroad signals has waited for 10 years or more to be powered up. In 50 words or less, "BORING" to most people. 

laker2555

• Conductor
« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2018, 02:26:25 PM »
It appears several additional cars have been scrapped and it looks like the next two are a couple of old refers.

Ralph

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2018, 03:25:42 PM »
It appears several additional cars have been scrapped and it looks like the next two are a couple of old reefers.

The Swift car on the right is the "shop" car where tools were stored and the chief mechanical officer had his office. The other was storage for electric heaters and other items that I can not currently remember. The cars might be demolished but probably not yet.

k9fon

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2018, 06:58:51 PM »
Some of the stuff they had was just JUNK!!! Ya can't save everything.

k9fon

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #54 on: July 04, 2018, 07:00:25 PM »
It appears several additional cars have been scrapped and it looks like the next two are a couple of old refers.

I saw on Facebook a switcher of some sort was scrapped.

Ralph

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #55 on: July 04, 2018, 10:15:44 PM »
I saw on Facebook a switcher of some sort was scrapped.

A Milwaukee Road SW1 that was called "the white elephant" because for years it was just white. Acquired from Cargill to provide a truck for the Monon DS50. A few years ago one volunteer mad it his goal to make it look presentable and his photo shown here indicates his success. He stated that the Sioux City Railroad Museum wanted the engine but couldn't move fast enough.

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2018, 09:27:31 PM »
Sad.

Trainman19

• Superintendent
« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2018, 09:59:49 PM »
Looks like the boiler/tank of the fireless loco is next, but the chassis is being sold. This is based on info obtained from they guy who says he bought the chassis.
20 down. Time taken to complete: 4 3/4 years.

central1751

• Dispatcher
  • 6.6 miles from destiny. April 30th 1900
« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2018, 08:47:29 AM »
While it is sad to see some of this go, I am sure the funds are being used for the emergency moves of the rest of the equipment.  Lets hope the reboot in their new home has better collection management than in previous years.   

nhensley

• Conductor
« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2018, 09:56:33 AM »
Isn't there a turntable sitting on the siding down by the water company (just north of 38th)? 

Also, I believe there is some sort of rolling stock on a siding in Castleton just south of 82nd street.