Linked Events

• HVRM Hanna Excursion: August 09, 2008

Author Topic: HVRM Hanna Excursion  (Read 1568 times)

Al Stevens

• Dispatcher
  • I "HOPE" you got the "CHANGE" you voted for!!
HVRM Hanna Excursion
« on: July 22, 2008, 12:11:35 AM »
HVRM will be running excursions between Hanna and Thomaston during the HannaFest I pulled the following info off of their website.

Announcement: Aug 9 Saturday
Hanna Sesquicentennial Event

Roundtrip 5-mile train rides between Hanna & Thomaston
Fares $5 Adult / $3 Youth (12yrs and under)
Departure Times 11:00 / 12-Noon / 1:00 / 2:00
“Central Time Zone”
Hanna is located between Wanatah and Hamlet along US 30.

Note: No Train Operations at North Judson on this date…
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 05:13:34 PM by indrr »
"Shippers & Service are 'Hi' priority with us"
INDIANA HI-RAIL CORPORATION

CIOR

• The Second
  • Administrator
  • Jay Gould
Re: HVRM Hanna Excursion
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 12:24:18 AM »
This is rare miles for the Museum.  If I was able to get up there, I would head out on that trip.

Al Stevens

• Dispatcher
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 12:28:14 AM »
A 3 day beer tent and train rides, now that's my kind of festival!!

CONRAIL1981

• Dispatcher
  • The RR is no longer in my back yard
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 09:01:07 AM »
I should definitely try to go to this.  I'm just west of chicago.  This wouldn't be too terribly far for me. :)
Paul Akers is the place to be.

Matt M.

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 10:02:30 AM »
Will Erie Lackawanna 310 be pulling this train?  I had heard she was down for maintenance awhile back.  I haven't been able to see this engine in action yet, so I was hoping to see it in Hanna.

LJ

• President
  • The train's are on their way back!!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 02:02:14 AM »
Yes, EL 310 will be pulling this train!!!!

Matt M.

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 10:53:39 PM »
Thanks, L.J., for letting me know about EL 310.  It'll be great to see a working Erie diesel out on the tracks.  I hope I can make it up to Hanna for a train ride.

Jasona

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 12:00:26 AM »
It was a good day, 6 trips with 549 paying riders.  I ran 2 trips.

Heading north to the CF&E diamond

South end of the trip, Thomaston at the NS diamond.

Getting ready to hit the CF&E diamond heading back north.  We have already cleared the clear board.

Sitting at the load out just before leaving.

Heading home in the ran waiting for our turn to cross NS.

Al Stevens

• Dispatcher
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 02:15:30 PM »
It was nice to see you guys sell out every trip and have to add an extra one. All 13 from our herd enjoyed the trip. How many passengers do you guys carry on an average Saturday at the museum?

Jasona

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008, 03:18:59 PM »
We had 4 trips planned, and we ran 6.  The last trip only had 35 or so, while the other 5 had 100+.

We usually get around 80 in Judson every week.

Jason

Al Stevens

• Dispatcher
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2008, 04:22:13 PM »
I guess that means you'll be back next year ;D

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2008, 04:39:00 PM »
Out of curiosity, did the CKIN get the interlockings working again?  CSX had set the signals to 'stop' because of rusty rail conditions and any trains had to flag both Hanna and Thomaston.

Practice Safe CSX

JasonA

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2008, 05:45:24 PM »
The interlocking at Hanna works, first come, first serve.  It is still controled by the NS dispatcher in Fort Wayne but is automatic.  Thomaston is a stop and call in deal.  Once the new interchange is done, NS "may" switch Thomaston back to first come, first serve.  CKIN runs several times a week, so rust isn't an issue anymore.

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2008, 07:11:22 PM »
The interlocking at Hanna works, first come, first serve.  It is still controled by the NS dispatcher in Fort Wayne but is automatic.  Thomaston is a stop and call in deal.  Once the new interchange is done, NS "may" switch Thomaston back to first come, first serve.  CKIN runs several times a week, so rust isn't an issue anymore.

If its a 'true' automatic, then no one "controls" it.  Permission has to be secured to flag the diamond though, which isn't unusual.  Though, at some locations, one side can have a 'preference' setting.  The diamond at Mortimer between the NS (former NKP) and the CSX Toledo Branch (former T&OC) is an automatic, though the NS can flip a 'preference' switch to 'lock out' the CSX if they want to pull off a meet.  I know the IE dispatcher can't tell when you get the lineup at Mortimer because of it being a fully automatic interlocking.  Leipsic, OH is another example of a automatic interlocking without a 'preference' setting.

A semi-automatic crossing is on where one side can 'request' a route, but that route won't "lock in" until a train gets on the approach circuit.  This means if a route isn't requested, then the train won't get the lineup even if its on the approach circuit. 

Wellsboro is an example of a semi-automatic interlocking.  Interestingly enough, at Wellsboro one side 'keeps' the interlocking if they can get opposing moves onto the approaches before the diamond is clear.  One night the CN went into emergency over the diamond and had it blocked for several hours.  Once they did clear, the CSX "kept" the diamond with the backed up traffic for several hours with well timed movements in each direction.  You'd often hear the SC say "Hey QXXX drag your feet a little bit going over Wellsboro Q110 is close and I want them to lock it up before you clear."

Practice Safe CSX

KEITH_HARRIS

• Dispatcher
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2008, 09:48:07 PM »
WHEN WANATAH TOWER WAS IN SERVICE THERE WAS A LOCKOUT LEVER FOR THE PRR/PC SIDE AT HANNA.   IF THERE WAS A HOT MOVE WE USED IT TO MAKE SURE WE HAD THE LINEUP. THERE WAS NOT A LOT OF TRAFFIC ON THE C&O IN THE MID 70'S. THERE WAS AN APPROACH LIGHT ON THE BOARD FOR THE C&O.

KEITH

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2008, 09:56:55 PM »
I've got a shot in my collection of a C&O steamer going past the tower at Thomaston.  Got it off eBay several years ago.  Not the greatest shot, but a shot none-the-less.

Practice Safe CSX