Author Topic: HHPA, NP Heritage sign agreement  (Read 18342 times)

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
Re: HHPA, NP Heritage sign agreement
« Reply #220 on: November 24, 2018, 09:06:59 AM »
Seeing photos that the F unit has been painted.  I

zupinNKP

• Brakeman
« Reply #221 on: November 24, 2018, 12:01:33 PM »
Looking better than it did before! Touch ups to be done during winterization in January and February

zupinNKP

• Brakeman
« Reply #222 on: November 29, 2018, 05:25:28 PM »

SankyInbound

• Chief Dispatcher
  • Railroading: It's a way of life, more than a job.
« Reply #223 on: November 29, 2018, 05:59:58 PM »
0:30 mark:

Might want to check those blowers on that old EMD, she is stacking some oil there...
"Don't find a fault, find a remedy."

CSX_CO

• Tycoon
  • Ok...lets get our stories straight......
« Reply #224 on: November 29, 2018, 06:10:04 PM »
0:30 mark:

Might want to check those blowers on that old EMD, she is stacking some oil there...

Not that I have any reason to doubt you, but could it just be blowing the carbon out after sitting in idle for too long?  Looks like a pretty clean exhaust in the rest of the video.

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
« Reply #225 on: November 29, 2018, 06:16:27 PM »
That F unit looks much better.  Kind of weird seeing it with ditch lights though. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

central1751

• Dispatcher
  • 6.6 miles from destiny. April 30th 1900
« Reply #226 on: November 29, 2018, 06:53:39 PM »
With the cold weather, unless she has a hot start system installed, they would have to leave her idling all week long or drain the cooling system.  My bet is she idled all night and that was the first decent throttle up, which cleared out everything.   Injectors might be getting a bit tired and overfueling a bit at idle.  Being they only go 10mph, not much chance to really clean her out under a decent load unless they leave the independant brake on a bit and notch her out once and a while.   Keep in mind how much use that prime mover has seen working for Erie Mining over the years.  Wonder what all was done to her in recent years?   The paint job really helps out a bunch, as does painting that genset car.  Hopefully when weather breaks again, they can get the F9 lettered.     Mike

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
« Reply #227 on: November 29, 2018, 08:20:00 PM »
With the cold weather, unless she has a hot start system installed, they would have to leave her idling all week long or drain the cooling system.  My bet is she idled all night and that was the first decent throttle up, which cleared out everything.   Injectors might be getting a bit tired and overfueling a bit at idle.  Being they only go 10mph, not much chance to really clean her out under a decent load unless they leave the independant brake on a bit and notch her out once and a while.   Keep in mind how much use that prime mover has seen working for Erie Mining over the years.  Wonder what all was done to her in recent years?   The paint job really helps out a bunch, as does painting that genset car.  Hopefully when weather breaks again, they can get the F9 lettered.     Mike
Good point.  I wonder how often this loco runs?  I doubt it is equipped with auto start but I canít imagine it idles all week.  I assume they have runs during the week or some sort of portable heaters they stick in the engine? 

SankyInbound

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #228 on: November 29, 2018, 09:18:59 PM »
Looks like burning leaked engine oil from the blowers that accumulates in the air boxes.  After idling for a while oil builds up in the air boxes, could have a plugged air box drain making it worse, once you throttle up for the first time, wind up the blowers, air box pressure increases, and the oil gets forced into the cylinders.

Poor injector atomization would most likely smoke that color in all notches, over fueling would yield dark smoke.  Surly they have some sort of hot start or block heater system, thats a lot of fuel to burn idling all week.  Nice looking engine though, glad to see an old EMD still cruising around.

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
« Reply #229 on: November 29, 2018, 09:34:11 PM »
Iím surprised it didnít smoke worse than that.  Actually, that exhaust seems pretty clean for the age  of the engine especially at a low speed and no tonnage behind it.  Iíve seen many a GE and EMDís built in the last 15-20 years blow more than that and much longer. 

central1751

• Dispatcher
« Reply #230 on: November 30, 2018, 06:02:48 AM »
For those that do not understand EMD's cooling set up, you do not use antifreeze in these, the "cooling water" looks pink but its not antifreeze.   So if shut down, the cooling system must be completely drained.   Otherwise a hot start system must be used or in the old days of cheap fuel, they just left them running.   Many lines just let them idle or put up a heated pole barn engine house to keep the units in.  It would be nice to see this group rebuild that siding in Atlanta and put up an engine house to get the diesels out of the weather when not in use.     Mike

SankyInbound

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #231 on: November 30, 2018, 05:27:31 PM »
The cooling water has a borate additive that helps with corrosion in the cooling system.  On CSX the borate we used made the water look green like automotive antifreeze, some other roads used some pink colored stuff.  During a Q inspection you had a test you could do on the water to make sure it had the correct ratio of borate to water. 

central1751

• Dispatcher
« Reply #232 on: December 01, 2018, 12:07:46 AM »
Thats what I thought it was for, but at that hour of the morning before work, my brain wasn't quite functional yet!   She does look so much better with a paint job.  While not everybody may like how this group came into being  They are putting on a class act and keeping a positive spin on everything they do at the public level.  For me, any rail activity is better than none at all.  And its close to home as well.       Mike

StateLine-IndianaCity

• Brakeman
« Reply #233 on: December 01, 2018, 06:46:12 PM »
Is that a 44 tonner at the end of the train?  0:52 in the video.

central1751

• Dispatcher
« Reply #234 on: December 01, 2018, 09:14:33 PM »
I think its a 45 tonner, it has side rods on the trucks.   Supposed to be temporary till another road unit is aquired from what I have heard.  Its cute looking and totally dwarfed by the coaches!      Mike

Rick

• Mogul
  • Conrail #1
« Reply #235 on: December 01, 2018, 09:52:44 PM »
Since Iím not familiar with the finances of this group Iím just asking to see if itís possible.  Do they have the option of buying a locomotive from any class 1 that puts their older units up for sale? 

central1751

• Dispatcher
« Reply #236 on: December 02, 2018, 06:40:40 AM »
I believe they will try to get another F or E unit as those look best on the streamlined passenger cars vs say a freight unit. They have the funds, its more about the right unit for the right price I think at this point.  They could always buy one of the remaining F40PH diesels out there that still have the prime mover in them.   Then they could have a unit with HEP built in!   Not as historic as an F unit, but fast becoming a rare unit to see in daily use unless you like in Chicago along Metra.   But my bet is another F unit for the other end.   Someone is going to end up with the F's at Forest Park, hopefully not a scrapper!.   Hopefully they continue to redevelope the Atlanta area with more than just the train stuff.   As that will be old news quick and ridership will fall off.    Shops and things for familes to do other than trains need to be brought in to those empty downtown buildings and plenty of room to build in that area. 

trainmaster53

• Tycoon
« Reply #237 on: December 02, 2018, 01:54:42 PM »
Yes an Amtrak F 40PH would look great with the F Unit.

central1751

• Dispatcher
« Reply #238 on: December 02, 2018, 02:28:59 PM »
Im not sure the residents there would like a F40 in run 8 for hotel power though. 

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
« Reply #239 on: December 02, 2018, 02:34:11 PM »
No one, and I mean NO one wants to see the fuel bill for running a 16 cylinder EMD 645 for hours on end at 893RPM.. and since your trucking that all in. Your going to bankrupt your organization in days.

Also the HEP RPM is NOT notch 8.
HEP RPM is 893RPM for 60HZ. Notch 8 RPM is 900RPM even.
If in doubt, Notch it out!