Author Topic: Abandoned Indiana Interurban E-Book  (Read 2056 times)

Butch

• Fireman
Abandoned Indiana Interurban E-Book
« on: January 18, 2018, 02:00:10 AM »
I had a request to make a site for abandoned Indiana interurban rails similar to my Abandoned Indiana Railroad E-book.  I stole Nathan's kml file and fattened up the tracks so that you can click on a line from the map to access the historical overview.  Nathan is not afraid of work!!!!!  This "E-Book" provides only an "overview" for each line, but there's still lot of reading material available.  I tried to put enough links to the sources I used so that you can find a good book if you wish learn more about a particular line.  Here's the link => https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1lfXdiPJMpLlg16314Gwje6k85gE62ohS&ll=40.43287235697369%2C-85.30006066406253&z=7

I plan on adding "Google Earth Flights" for lines longer than 5 miles - give me another week - LOL.  Thank you Nathan for your hard work!

Butch

• Fireman
Re: Abandoned Indiana Interurban E-Book
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 12:07:54 PM »
I'm still trying to learn the full functionality of "Google Docs", but here is the link to my first stab at creating a "History of Abandoned Indiana Interurban Railroads" document for those of you who don't wish to fight through my map site => https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XDWasXZIikn_ZMdS8f2ECxsaw05ROjxAmBs7cuS6fAQ/view

A table of contents should appear at the top, and the side of the document.  I personally use the "scroll-able outline" on the left side of the doc to jump to a particular Interurban.  The information provided (if available) will be links to:
    * sources
    * creation/abandonment dates (mostly from https://www.chicagorailfan.com/interin.html)
    * historical information
    * "Google Map" of the line.  The "Google Map" opens in "street mode" so I usually select "satellite mode" to look for remnants of the Interurban line.  All credit goes to Nathan Bilger for the available maps.

Steve

• Engineer
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 12:21:48 PM »
The map shown for the Fort Wayne & Wabash Valley is actually the Fort Wayne-Lima line.

R. L. Nottingham

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2020, 05:01:33 PM »
I have looked at the map carefully.  It is well done in most places.  In past years, I have actually driven the central two-thirds of Indiana (from Illinois to Ohio), from north of the Wabash River to around Sellersburg,  and have observed much of the abandoned road beds, bridge abutments, etc. The sightings have included the sections going to Martinsville, Sullivan, and Paris, IL.  There are still a few interurban stations left, such as in Tipton, Noblesville, Albany, etc.

Unfortunately, there are a few mistakes.  On the east side of Elwood, the tracks left Main street at a right angle, went south to the railroad, and went along side the railroad to the east.  In Anderson, no tracks are illuminated going to the shops (which still stands) and behind the power house site (now occupied by a large dairy).  The path going north and south through Marion is totally inaccurate.  The route follows Washington Street north of the river to a certain point.  Then, it goes east and aligns with the railroad going to Wabash.

Most of the routes shown, however, are accurate.  This includes where the tracks turned at a street intersection; the curb has a wide radius (an example is in Rushville).  There is accuracy in showing a wye and a spur going to former gravel pits west of Orestes.

Thank you for your time and consideration.