Author Topic: MONON ABANDONMENT  (Read 34757 times)

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
If in doubt, Notch it out!

k9fon

• Chief Dispatcher
Re: MONON ABANDONMENT
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2018, 08:26:19 PM »

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2018, 09:51:08 PM »
Well yes. Not arguing that. But they reflexively file this on every abandonment in Indiana. Even the .2 mile one in Hartford City IN.

k9fon

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2018, 12:39:02 AM »
Well yes. Not arguing that. But they reflexively file this on every abandonment in Indiana. Even the .2 mile one in Hartford City IN.

LOL yeah like .2 miles will make a trail worth walking or riding.... :D

k9fon

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2018, 12:40:33 AM »
But honestly, id MUCH rather see a track turned into a trail any day because at least the integrity of the roadbed is somewhat kept intact...

Dschro

• Conductor
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2018, 09:26:53 AM »
As a runner, biker and avid railfan, I almost always have mixed emotions about these issues.  I would have much preferred to see the Monon stay intact, but that was not to be.  The next best thing is a rail trail.  The State of Indiana has had no long term plan to capitalize on the possibilities that exist for tourism generated revenue that these trails would generate.  The abandoned Monon from Cloverdale to Bedford transverses some of the most beautiful and economically impoverished ares of the state and would certainly have benefited from the economic impact that a long distance trail brings with it.  Iowa, Michigan, Missouri and Ohio have figured this out, but we seem to always be too late to the party!  When the Pennsy was abandoned across Central Indiana the state missed an opportunity to make a trail that would have crossed the entire state a reality.  Instead, lack of foresight resulted in a patchwork of segments (mine here in Greenfield is 5.6 miles long) with no connectivity that would attract non local users.  Although I don't want to see the rest of the Monon abandoned, a rail trail from Mitchell to New Albany would certainly be a boon to the line side towns.   

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2018, 12:45:18 PM »
Okay lets look at this from a trail prospective.
Maybe the weird milepost is a way to ease the liability of a future trail.

From looking at the trail filing, the trails entity has to assume all liability for the ROW.

Well I can think of no more of a liability then a BIG burnt out bridge. So perhaps CSXT has been working ahead of time with the trails people, or perhaps CSXT anticipated this and just went ahead and made it easier for them.

I can imagine the street trackage is a bit of a sticky wicket when it comes to Abandonment. How did CSX and Lafayette handle the monon track?

Maybe I can go way back and dig up the filling.

k9fon

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2018, 01:58:33 PM »
As a runner, biker and avid railfan, I almost always have mixed emotions about these issues.  I would have much preferred to see the Monon stay intact, but that was not to be.  The next best thing is a rail trail.  The State of Indiana has had no long term plan to capitalize on the possibilities that exist for tourism generated revenue that these trails would generate.  The abandoned Monon from Cloverdale to Bedford transverses some of the most beautiful and economically impoverished ares of the state and would certainly have benefited from the economic impact that a long distance trail brings with it.  Iowa, Michigan, Missouri and Ohio have figured this out, but we seem to always be too late to the party!  When the Pennsy was abandoned across Central Indiana the state missed an opportunity to make a trail that would have crossed the entire state a reality.  Instead, lack of foresight resulted in a patchwork of segments (mine here in Greenfield is 5.6 miles long) with no connectivity that would attract non local users.  Although I don't want to see the rest of the Monon abandoned, a rail trail from Mitchell to New Albany would certainly be a boon to the line side towns.

Back in 1982 right after the EL was removed there was a proposal to turn then entire ROW into a bike trail but lack of interest and funds killed it.. IMHO this state has never been rail friendly or trail friendly.......

k9fon

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2018, 02:02:51 PM »

I never could figure that one out... It could have been made into a super trail however CSX removed some bridges so that took care of the trail idea...

bmwjohn

• Brakeman
  • SOMEWHAT FAMILAR W/NYC, PRR, P-C, CR, CSX MIDWEST.
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2018, 02:18:10 PM »
recent article about airbnb suggested that RURAL locations for airbnb vendors was growing rapidly, perhaps trails would be a likely spot for same near tracks?

k9fon

• Chief Dispatcher
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2018, 03:37:55 PM »
recent article about airbnb suggested that RURAL locations for airbnb vendors was growing rapidly, perhaps trails would be a likely spot for same near tracks?

Whats an airbnb? And how do you even pronounce it???

DiscoverJustin

• Fireman
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2018, 03:56:44 PM »
An airbnb is when people rent out a room in their house like a hotel or bed & breakfast. 

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2018, 12:57:48 AM »

Bob Durnell

• President
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2018, 01:35:52 PM »
An airbnb is when people rent out a room in their house like a hotel or bed & breakfast.

Sounds perfectly awful. I think I'd rather sleep in the car.  Much like Uber.  I'd have to be pretty desperate to resort to that.

Wema

• Dispatcher
  • A Rail History Nut
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2018, 11:41:56 AM »
Looks like the clock has started...

https://www.stb.gov/Decisions/readingroom.nsf/WEBUNID/DD9705212A6F13658525820B0060AD15?OpenDocument

"Provided no formal expression of intent to file an offer of financial assistance (OFA) has been received, this exemption will be effective on February 7, 2018, unless stayed pending reconsideration."  :(

Ralph

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2018, 02:33:19 PM »
Today a Paul Didelius filed in STB docket No. AB-55 775 X indicating that he will make an Offer of Financial Assistance on the northernmost 10.3 miles of this abandonment. That would be from the Bedford area to just south of Mitchell. To see the filing go here: https://www.stb.gov/filings/all.nsf/ba7f93537688b8e5852573210004b318/28f52c438f8bd2a985258217006507ef/$FILE/244980.pdf

Anyone know who Paul Didelius is and what he would want with that part of the line? I understand that would make rail service to Bedford possible from the moribund line through Mitchell.

Wema

• Dispatcher
  • A Rail History Nut
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2018, 02:44:34 PM »
Google says: http://frontierrail.com/about/

"Frontier Rail
Founded and owned by Paul Didelius, the Frontier Rail Group of companies includes six short line railroads operating over 300 track miles plus industrial switching operations in five states. With an industry leading safety record and strong compliance program, Frontier Railís experienced management team and approximately 55 employees deliver safe, efficient, and cost effective transportation and other rail services."

Ralph

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2018, 02:48:52 PM »
Well, now i wonder if he has a plan or a dream.

indyspy

• Tycoon
  • Resident ATCS guru.
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2018, 04:00:36 PM »
Orleans? There isn't crap there.

That requires the diamond to stay.

Wema

• Dispatcher
  • A Rail History Nut
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2018, 04:06:26 PM »
Orleans? There isn't crap there.

That requires the diamond to stay.

Maybe use Orleans siding as a run around track for shortline ops? Does Not appear to be any sidings between there and Bedford.

Maybe swap diamond with an OWL?

Just a few thoughts.  :)